❗️ [NEEDS SAVES] [WORKAROUND] game/Mac freezes on Mac with M1 chip

by silverstream896

Original Post

Re: is the macbook air m1 chip compatible?

★★ Novice

Just quick feedback, everything is working fine, smoothly, and perfectly, with resolutions all high and no laptop model. My only problem is the sound is a little burst, with noises and a little static and is not related to the laptop because I tested it with tv shows, movies, music, and youtube, so I guess is something with the game. 

Message 71 of 700 (7,662 Views)

Re: Compatible with Apple M1 Chip?

EA Staff

@simplyluke__ Unfortunately TS3 is not optimized for the M1/ARM chip yet and is entirely dependent on Apple's Rosetta 2 compatibility technology to work. TS4 contains the Vertical Sync setting that, fortunately, works around a problem between TS4 and Rosetta 2. TS3 does not have such a preference currently.

I don't know if trying to force Vertical Sync to be enabled will work (long story), but I know manually setting it to "on" seems to not cause problems for me on a non-M1 system. If you're open to experimenting, try this:

Open the Options.ini file from Documents/Electronic\ Arts/The\ Sims\ 3/ . Add this to the bottom of the file: verticalsync = 1 (this file is a simple text file - it's important that you NOT edit it with a word processor, but rather that you use something like TextEdit). Now try starting TS3. Let us know what happens. I don't hold high hopes for this but it's very much worth an experiment.

--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 72 of 700 (7,659 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

For anyone struggling getting origin on their M1 Mac. The only way I’m able to get it right now is copying origin but putting origin on a flash drive and then plug the flash into your M1 Mac and then drag Origin to your Applications folder. That’s how I got it to work. And anyone playing The Sims 4 on an M1, PLEASE Enable Vertical Sync, otherwise your game will freeze your computer. 

Message 73 of 700 (7,606 Views)

Re: macOS 11 Big Sur and the Sims 4

★★ Novice

I recently just got a new MacBook Air with MacOS11 Big Sur updated on it already. Ive been playing the sims4 for years now on a MacBook Pro and a Mac desktop and and have never had this problem. I had no problems installing origin or downloading any of my expansion packs. But when I open the Sims I go to create my first sim since I'm completely starting over. But after a minute in of creating my sim it freezes every time and I have to force restart. Ive tried opening only in window, I lowered all the graphics and turned off retina display. I turned off the Origin in game, I uninstalled and installed origin and the game already. I tried the -nosound in the game properties. I checked for updates and repaired the game. But after doing all of this my game still freezes and the same exact spot. I am very close to giving up and accepting  that I can no longer play, But is there anything else I am not trying that can fix it. Please help!

About this Mac: macOS BigSur version 11.01.1

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Chip: Apple M1

Memory 8GB

Message 74 of 700 (7,593 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@MaxisJoe so far ts3 hasn't experienced crashing after playing for 10 or so minutes! thanks for your help!

Message 75 of 700 (7,592 Views)

★★★★ Novice

No more crashing, vertical sync has solved it!! Woohooo

Message 76 of 700 (7,579 Views)

Re: macOS 11 Big Sur and the Sims 4

@stopsallshots

See the solution on page 1.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 77 of 700 (7,568 Views)

EA Staff
@simplyluke__ Sweet! Thanks for checking! Please report back after another hour or so (10 min is good, 60 min is better Standard smile ).
--
I am an employee of EA.

Please do not send me private messages unless I ask you to. I promise that you will get help faster in the public forum. Thank you.
Message 78 of 700 (7,567 Views)

Re: Crashing in CAS M1 chip Big Sur MacBook

@asialindsay123

Merged into the M1 thread. Please see the solution on page 1.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 79 of 700 (7,533 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yeah! I have been trying to download origin and have not been successful yet, and it is really frustrating me. Have you been able to figure it out yet?? 

Message 80 of 700 (7,499 Views)