[FIXED] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Transparent floors

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

Thank you for replying and taking the time to help, not sure if you need any more info please let me know but this is what I have for you. I attached the info "about this mac" I just cut off my serial number.  I also currently am installing my mac update and ill repair the game to see if that works.     (you might have to download the attached file to be able to see it).

edit; it did nothing when I updated then repaired.

1. I do not have the legacy edition, I bought the digital deluxe.

2. I am not running any antiviruses that I know of but I'm also not sure how to check that.

3. I have done at least 5 repairs changing conditions and such. 

4. I had some cc and like 4 mods nothing too extensive and I removed them all and went as far as removing my mods folder.

Message 521 of 614 (907 Views)

@isaroo

Thanks. I've merged your posts into this ongoing thread about the game on 16" MacBook Pros as it really doesn't perform well, especially if City Living is installed and even more so in San Myshuno. Have a look at the opening post and solution on page 1 and try changing the Energy Saver settings to force the AMD GPU.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 522 of 614 (876 Views)

★ Novice
@Bluebellflora
I actually spoke with someone from EA and they told me that I had to go in my finder and go through documents> electronic arts>. Then I would have to right-click and rename "The Sims 4" folder as "The Sims 4 old". I then re-launched the game and it created a new sims 4 folder in which I transferred my save files from old to current and everything was back including the floors. Thankyou for attempting to help. Just incase anyone else was having this issue here is your solution.
Message 523 of 614 (871 Views)

@isaroo

Thanks for the update! I wish the solution was that simple for everyone but as you can see from this 53 page thread, the game is unplayable for many on 16” MacBook Pros after trying many different workarounds, including the most basic of resetting the Sims 4 folder Frown

AHQSigImage.png
Message 524 of 614 (866 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Cursor won't click on anything and looks like a magnifying glass?????

★★★★★ Newbie

i have the same issue, my macbook pro (2019, 16in) is 

Catalina version

16 GB memory

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

AMD Radeon Pro 5300M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x8

VRAM (Total): 4 GB

Vendor: AMD (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x7340

Revision ID: 0x0043

ROM Revision: 113-D3220E-190

VBIOS Version: 113-D32207P1-019

Option ROM Version: 113-D32207P1-019

EFI Driver Version: 01.A1.190

Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported

gMux Version: 5.0.0

Message 525 of 614 (806 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Cursor won't click on anything and looks like a magnifying glass?????

★★★★★ Newbie
@rreeaa-1 i also can't exit the game now, I play in windowed mode as well
Message 526 of 614 (805 Views)

Sims 4 crashing on Mac when loading a house/lot. Also, blue/missing floors

★ Novice

Background info: I have a 16-inch MacBook Pro, macOS Big Sur. It's about 6 months old and has lots of space.

Basically, every time I start loading a house(hold) or even a small lot in the Sims 4, my game does one of two things: 1. Crashes, and sends a report about it to Apple or 2. Actually loads, but the floors in my house are either missing entirely or look blue. (Sometimes there's also a weird glitch where parts of the lot start flickering black — a glitch I used to see in the Sims 2 all the time). TLDR I'm able to load the town itself, but once I try to load a house or lot, the game crashes or the floors are gone.

I'm only posting here because I've tried literally everything I can think of to fix this. I've repaired my game in Origin multiple times. I play the game on the lowest possible settings. I have NO expansion packs, CC, or mods — I am purely playing the base game. I've moved my game from the Documents folder to the desktop. I've uninstalled and re-installed the Sims 4 (keeping my saved games in a separate folder, though, so I didn't lose them).

If I had to guess, I think my game or the computer can't handle a household with this much data (four sims live in this current household, and it's a fairly large house with 4 stories), but it's kind of annoying if that's the case because I only have 2 saved households and absolutely no extra content.

Does anyone have any advice?

Message 527 of 614 (809 Views)

Re: Sims 4 crashing on Mac when loading a house/lot. Also, blue/missing floors

@traderzo

Yep, it's a known issue that there are problems with the game on 16" MBPs. I've merged your post into this 53(!) page thread on the issues. See the opening post on page 1 and the accepted solution for workarounds that may help.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 528 of 614 (792 Views)

@rreeaa-1

Merged. Please see the opening post and solution for various workarounds that may, or may not, work for your model Mac.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 529 of 614 (790 Views)

Disappearing floor

★ Novice

Good Evening!

I have installed The Sims 4 today new on my computer (Macbook Pro) since I wanted to play a bit. Creating a Sim went fine but when I started actually playing and building I quickly noticed that every floor is disappearing. It doesn't matter if it's an already build lot, a placed lot or fresh build rooms. It also doesn't matter if it's on the ground, the second floor or anywhere else. As soon as a Sim walks on the transparent floor my game crashes.

I have repaired the game and restarted it but it doesn't fix the problem.

I have every pack and don't use mods, cc or anything else.

I attached a Screenshot where i showcased the disappearing floor a bit so you can have an idea of what exactly is happening in my game. The lot I use is in Newcrest. I first noticed it in Glimmerbrook so the plot probably doesn't matter.

If any other information could be helpful to solve the problem or if the problem is already solved somewhere, let me know.

Thanks in advance, Liv

Message 530 of 614 (724 Views)