[FIXED] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 Keeps Crashing- Corrupted Save?

@lyanneeelow

I've merged your thread into the 16" one. This way you should get notifications (if you have them turned on) for new posts and updates - helpful if people post any further workarounds.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 491 of 614 (942 Views)

Re: ❗️ [WORKAROUND] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

★ Novice

Here is the error code information I receive after 60seconds of entering the game and the information regarding my MacBook Pro graphics card specifications are at the bottom of the report. I am not a very tech-savvy person when it comes to these things but I followed the tips suggested in the initial post regarding disabling automatic graphics switching and the graphics settings for the game:

Date/Time: 2021-02-15 22:09:03.605 -0500
OS Version: macOS 11.2.1 (20D74)
Bridge OS Version: 5.2 (18P4346)
System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 22

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x00000001bca02c08
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
Terminating Process: exc handler [9753]

Logical CPU: 6
Error Code: 0x00000004 (no mapping for user data read)
Trap Number: 14

VIRTUAL REGION
REGION TYPE SIZE COUNT (non-coalesced)
=========== ======= =======
Accelerate framework 256K 2
Activity Tracing 256K 1
CG backing stores 4032K 6
CG image 216K 10
CoreAnimation 112K 10
CoreGraphics 12K 2
CoreUI image data 928K 9
Foundation 16K 1
Image IO 16K 4
Kernel Alloc Once 8K 1
MALLOC 272.3M 92
MALLOC guard page 32K 8
MALLOC_NANO (reserved) 384.0M 1 reserved VM address space (unallocated)
STACK GUARD 56.1M 35
Stack 26.3M 35
VM_ALLOCATE 2.0G 392
__CTF 759 1
__DATA 18.1M 339
__DATA_CONST 12.5M 185
__DATA_DIRTY 572K 104
__FONT_DATA 4K 1
__LINKEDIT 495.4M 24
__OBJC_RO 60.6M 1
__OBJC_RW 2449K 3
__TEXT 273.5M 346
__UNICODE 588K 1
mapped file 167.9M 45
shared memory 52K 7
=========== ======= =======
TOTAL 3.7G 1666
TOTAL, minus reserved VM space 3.3G 1666

Model: MacBookPro16,1, BootROM 1554.80.3.0.0 (iBridge: 18.16.14346.0.0,0), 6 processors, 6-Core Intel Core i7, 2.6 GHz, 16 GB, SMC
Graphics: kHW_IntelUHDGraphics630Item, Intel UHD Graphics 630, spdisplays_builtin
Graphics: kHW_AMDRadeonPro5300MItem, AMD Radeon Pro 5300M, spdisplays_pcie_device, 4 GB
Memory Module: BANK 0/ChannelA-DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR4, 2667 MHz, SK Hynix, -
Memory Module: BANK 2/ChannelB-DIMM0, 8 GB, DDR4, 2667 MHz, SK Hynix, -
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x14E4, 0x7BF), wl0: Sep 11 2020 17:01:15 version 9.30.440.2.32.5.61 FWID 01-1d69e4b4
Bluetooth: Version 8.0.3d9, 3 services, 18 devices, 1 incoming serial ports
Network Service: Wi-Fi, AirPort, en0
USB Device: USB 3.1 Bus
USB Device: Apple T2 Bus
USB Device: Composite Device
USB Device: Touch Bar Backlight
USB Device: Touch Bar Display
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
USB Device: Headset
USB Device: Ambient Light Sensor
USB Device: FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
USB Device: Apple T2 Controller
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 63.3
Thunderbolt Bus: MacBook Pro, Apple Inc., 63.3

Message 492 of 614 (907 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Beware of hardware failure. I believe that the 16" MBP has a serious heat dissipation problem, causing component failures. After I had it for a year, the Apple store did some quick tests and verified I had some bad memory. This resulted in a logic board replacement (includes RAM, SSD, CPU, GPU, basically the guts of the machine). Two months later I sent it in again and they did the same thing. I recommend that if you can afford Apple Care you should get it. This is the first time I have ever done so.

Message 493 of 614 (891 Views)

@pcjr_ea

All the components you listed are soldered onto the logic board so when one fails Apple just replace the whole unit. A bad memory chip may not have been heat damaged, in fact it's unlikely that a RAM chip would be, but they would have just replaced the whole board. This is a great teardown of the machine showing all parts - https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook+Pro+16-Inch+2019+Teardown/128106

The aluminium casing is designed to help dissipate heat, and it does, provided the machine is on a hard surface with air able to circulate underneath. If you're gaming then a cooling fan or raised surface of some kind is an absolute must. That doesn't just apply to MBPs but any laptops, Mac or Windows.

It's actually very rare that a Mac will overheat to the point that components would start failing. Of course, if you play on a bed with your Mac resting on the duvet then yes, heat is going to be a huge factor and most likely shorten the life of your Mac. But the OS is designed to throttle power to the hardware to prevent overheating. You know when people report that their Mac is getting hot and switching itself off? It's shutting itself down to prevent damage. And most of the posts I've ever answered from people who this is happening to is down to them playing on a nice soft surface.

Absolutely yes to Applecare, I have always bought it on my Macs. It's a small price to pay when you're paying £3k+ for a computer. And Apple's customer service has always been second to none.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 494 of 614 (881 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

I play with my laptop on an elevate/ angled laptop stand (with a cut-out in the middle) off to the side. I keep the lid open with a bunch of Activity Monitor windows open to keep an eye on things.

They have replaced my logic board twice. The second time two months after the (bad-RAM) first. I've been assured by a senior tech advisor that they would test it for failure before replacing it and they test it again before shipping it back. So, either:

1. they replaced it unnecessarily (skipped a testing step),
  2. replaced it with a faulty board (skipped a testing step)
  3. it failed again due to too much gaming, or
  4. it failed again for some other reason (bad luck).

Perhaps the bugs we experience are causing a failure in some of the safeties built into the system?

At least I am problem free playing within a VM with the Metal API disabled.

Message 495 of 614 (872 Views)

@pcjr_ea

Yep, of course they thoroughly test it. What was the reason they changed out for the second board? It's normally stated on the service report you receive. Or if you pick up in person they tell you. Or both.

Mine has just been swapped out on my 15" because one of the Thunderbolt ports was faulty. I had no idea about this, it had only gone back to Apple for a replacement top casing due to the sticky keys issue but after testing they found the faulty port. It's also 6 months outside of Applecare now so I'm very pleased they replaced it Standard smile

The issue with these 16" MBPs is the specific 5300/5500 GPU and/or Metal driver together with the GPU.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 496 of 614 (865 Views)

★★★★ Novice

@Bluebellflora 

I didn't pickup in person, this was all done on the phone and through the mail (my local Apple store was closed due to COVID).

No "reason" was stated for changing out the logic board either time. The Product Repair Summary page that was included on the second return lists as SymptomTransaction in Store Applies to Touch ID button. That's the closed to an explanation

I don't know what they mean by "in Store", I never visited an Apple store for this second replacement. Note that the Touch ID Board was replaced both times.

Message 497 of 614 (853 Views)

@pcjr_ea

Thanks. They are stating the second repair is due to the Touch ID button which is also attached to the logic board so it would have just been a replacement logic board again.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 498 of 614 (837 Views)

★★ Novice

Yes, okay!

• Mac OS: Catalina
  • Model: Macbook Pro (16-inch, 2019)
  • Processor: 2.6 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7
  • Memory (RAM): 16 GB, 2667 MhZ DDR4
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5300M

I am playing the regular version of the game, NOT Legacy. I have not downloaded any mods, either. I am not running any antivirus.

I have already repaired the game in Origin multiple times. I have also disabled Origin in game, and turned graphical settings to the lowest possible value. I have also tried moving the Sims 4 folder to my desktop so the game could generate a new one, though the issue still persists in the new save as well.

Message 499 of 614 (690 Views)

@Icepay

Thanks Standard smile Merged into the main thread on the issues with 16" MacBook Pros. Please see the opening post on page 1 and the solution for potential fixes. It's an ongoing known issue with this model Mac unfortunately.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 500 of 614 (666 Views)