[FIXED] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Re: Torendi tower penthouse bug

@filippodiprimio

Here - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/-WORKAROUND-Problems-playing-Sims-4-on-the-16-quot-Ma...

It explains that you could try a 3rd party app to disable the graphics switching.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 431 of 614 (735 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora Thanks a lot. I have to admit I'm slightly skeptical and even anxious when it comes to downloading programs I don't know about but I think I'll give it a try. Is it safe after all right? 😅
Message 432 of 614 (728 Views)

Re: Sims 4 new game on new MacBook keeps crashing

★★ Novice

Yup I did both and still having crash issues..

Message 433 of 614 (714 Views)

@filippodiprimio

Best way to be!

I've ever used it but others have, some with success and some not. It is a fairly well known app so should be ok. Having said that, installing any app that overrides OS settings should be used with caution but as I said, it is popular Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 434 of 614 (705 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora I understand ... I can try! If I have to try, I'll let you know even if I've already tried playing with graphic switching disabled and it didn't work and I don't know whether to keep it disabled with an app will help
Message 435 of 614 (692 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora hi!
I turned to customer support at help.ea.com and, in addition to having me type "-w" on "command line parameters" on Origin (which slightly improved the game's performance), I was advised to disable EDGE SMOOTHING on the video card. could you explain me how to do it?
Message 436 of 614 (665 Views)

@filippodiprimio

I think "-w" puts the game into windowed mode, something you can change easily enough in the in-game graphics options.

I've no idea what enabling "Edge Smoothing on the video card" even means but it definitely isn't anything you can do on a Mac. Unless they mean disable edge smoothing in the game options?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 437 of 614 (663 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Bluebellflora all right. thanks so much for your help :-)
Message 438 of 614 (645 Views)

Re: ❗️ [WORKAROUND] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

★★★★★ Novice

Thanks so much for posting a workaround! The other thread that's been up for a year did nothing. I'm trying to run Sims 4 on the 16" MBP, i7 (AMD Radeon Pro 5300M 4 GB and Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB) and Catalina 10.15.7 and nothing works.

It either crashes when I load a household or I can't see a floor texture, and the more I move the camera the more the screen gets lines and looks glitchy and more textures disappear. This is after disabling iCloud Drive and downloading the third-party app to stop graphics switching, toggling to window mode, toggling settings like vsync and laptop mode and retina mode. I've found the most success with window mode on and retina mode off, but the game is still barely playable, and the third-party app didn't make any difference at all.

Upgrading to Big Sur will be my last effort, but I've read some bad reviews about it so I want to put that off until they bug fix a bit more.

Please keep trying to help us EA Frown

Message 439 of 614 (602 Views)

Re: ❗️ [WORKAROUND] Problems playing Sims 4 on the 16" MacBook Pro

@emmaalexcis

Which other thread are you referring to?

Glad you managed to find a workaround Standard smile

AHQSigImage.png
Message 440 of 614 (576 Views)