Re: Origin causing mac to crash?

by Bluebellflora

Original Post

Origin causing mac to crash?

★★★★ Novice

Hello! I posted here a few months ago but I'm still having this issue and I have no idea how to fix it. I'm on a 2019 16 inch macbook pro, running Big Sur, 11.4, however the crashing issue happened when I was still using Catalina as well.

My computer keeps crashing while playing sims 3 and sims 4, and there isn't anything that I do that causes it to crash. It happens during gameplay, not during CAS or build mode, but other than that, I can't find anything in common with what I'm doing right before my computer crashes.

I took my computer a week ago to the apple store to try to fix the crashing issue, and they replaced the entire logic board. The engineers said I needed a graphics card replacement, which means the entire logic board got replaced. In theory, the crashing issue should have been fixed if it was the graphics card causing problems. They also installed a clean version of the Big Sur OS, which should mean that it isn't the OS causing issues.

And, I think replacing it did work in part because the crash log I found in the console is not the same ones that I had before the logic board replacement.

I'll attach the mac log as well as the origin crash log that appeared in the console. If I'm reading these logs right, I think that origin is causing my computer to crash, rather than my computer causing origin to crash. Something about the graphics card transaction hanging or overloading? It's literally a brand new graphics card.

I was wondering if I could get some help interpreting the crash logs to see if there is something I can try to fix it before I bring the crash logs to EA help and apple support.

Thank you for your time! I really appreciate it.

Message 581 of 614 (948 Views)

EA SPORTS FC Team

I have merged your topic with this thread @archery268, could you try some of the tips provided in here?

Jason.png
Message 582 of 614 (917 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Thanks for linking me to this thread! Did you have any specific things you think I should try?

I have already disabled the retina display in the game settings, enabled vertical sync, set my window mode resolution to a lower level than I had it set to earlier. I turned off automatic graphics card switching in both the power adapter settings and battery settings. I also went ahead and reset the NVRAM.

I did notice a big improvement in how my game was performing, it was noticeably less lagging than it was before I did all of that.

However, the game still did crash a few minutes ago.

I am next going to try the gfx card status application that is mentioned in this thread's accepted solution to see if that helps.

If my game continues to crash, I guess I'll look through the rest of this thread in the more newer posts to see if there are other things I haven't tried yet.

Message 583 of 614 (885 Views)

@archery268

There is no 100% fix for this issue unfortunately, more trial and error Frown

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 584 of 614 (878 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora Ever since I upgraded to 11.4, my 16" MBP problems (crashing/freezing/glitches) have gone away.
Message 585 of 614 (854 Views)

@pcjr_ea

That's great Standard smile you're not playing Sims 4 though right?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 586 of 614 (838 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Bluebellflora I'm playing Magic Arena. While its not the same, it was having the same issues. But, I should have made that clear in my post to avoid giving out false hope.
Message 587 of 614 (827 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Hi I just want to adda few updates I've noticed with playing:

I have not experience a single crash or issue since ensuring I had gfxCardStatus enabled and set to Discreet every time I launch the game. I have been able to both build and play at PHP in the Fashion District of SanMyshuno which was the biggest causes of crashes. There are only ever a few occasions of freezing (and the colourwheel appearing) but after doing a very quick three finger swipe up on the trackpad it unfreezes instantly. I've been running with Custom Content and a few script mods (MCCC in particular) and the game has run the smoothest I've ever played. There is some hope and I I recommend a NVRAM reset as well if your currently experiencing issues but I've not had to do that for a couple months now. I have attached my in game graphics settings as well as these have worked the best for me in reducing lag, although it says windowed mode I'm able to make it playable full screen by clicking the green icon on the top left of the window. 

Message 588 of 614 (745 Views)

@ctrlshiftchloe

Great feedback - thanks! Which specific version of macOS are you running?

AHQSigImage.png
Message 589 of 614 (740 Views)

★★★★ Novice

I'm playing on Big Sur 11.4!

Message 590 of 614 (714 Views)