Sims 4 keeps crashing on 2020 iMac 27

by ddp173

Original Post

Sims 4 keeps crashing on 2020 iMac 27

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Sims 4 keeps crashing or freezing during gameplay on 2020 27 inch iMac...Need help!!

Recently purchased 2020 iMac 27 retina display thinking it could easily run Sims 4 on full screen. Every time I play, it crashes or freezes. I did all the tech trouble shooting I could. I'm at a loss and don't know how to proceed. I've uninstalled and re-installed Origin, spent an hour on the phone with Origin tech support and did all troubleshooting suggested. Updated all system software, and still no improvement. I've lowered all resolution settings in the game and turned off Retina display. I also reduced screen size to windowed size (I get to play a little longer and very difficult to play game), but it still eventually crashes.

I'm not sure if this a common issue, but if any one can help I would appreciate it.

Here are the specs on my computer:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac20,2

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 3.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 16 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 32 GB

AMD Radeon Pro 5700 xt with 8gb graphics

Message 1 of 143 (13,641 Views)

Re: Sims 4 keeps crashing on 2020 iMac 27

@ddp173

Move your Sims 4 folder from the Documents > Electronic Arts folder to the desktop and see how it plays with a brand new clean vanilla save.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 2 of 143 (13,573 Views)

★ Novice

I’m having the same issue with my 27” 2020 iMac. Mines an i5. Just bought it yesterday. It crashes instantly when I load my save game, spinning wheel, glitches, everything on a fresh install. If I turn off Retina display, it lets me play but the floor of the house is glitched to a color blue. I will try the above recommendation and move the folder for new start. 

Message 3 of 143 (13,549 Views)

@rpark91 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 4 of 143 (13,534 Views)

★ Apprentice

I have similar problems with the exact same iMac that you bought and a similar graphics card (Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16gb). Did you have to shut down your Mac because of the freezing too? When the glitching occurs in my game the entire app becomes unresponsive and returning to desktop is not possible.

Message 5 of 143 (13,516 Views)

★ Novice

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020)

3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5

8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5300 4 GB

OS Catalina 10.15.7

• Are you attempting to play the normal version of the game or the Legacy Edition? Normal version
  • Are you running any antivirus? No
  • Have you tried to repair the game in Origin? Yes I repaired game.
  • Do you use CC/Mods? No mods

So I moved TS4 Folder to desktop, repaired game, opened game and made a new save. It seemed to work with building a house and social interaction. So I moved my old saves to the folder and replayed the game and so far so good. Seems to work without glitching or freezing. I'll update this if I experience issues again. Thank you Bluebellflora!

Message 6 of 143 (13,503 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I have the same issue on my Mac I believe it has something to do with the graphics on the iMac 27 inch  maybe the sims is not optimized for new version of Radeon pro graphics since that computer just came out this year

Message 7 of 143 (13,377 Views)

@Nicv1990 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 8 of 143 (13,372 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Iam returning the iMac because of the issues I have tried everything myself there is a issue with the sims 4  I can’t check specs anymore because restore it back to setup for its return 

Message 9 of 143 (13,327 Views)

Sims4 Crashing on iMac 2020 - Every time.

★★★★★ Novice

I'm on a new iMac 2020, 27-in. 3.3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 Processor - my Sims4, which I always played on my MacBook Pro Laptop (it runs on there fine), constantly crashes on this new iMac. At first it was working okay and then it started really depricating over time. I can't play on this computer without it crashing! I've uninstalled/reinstalled Origin, tried to Repair Sims4 within Origin, moved the Sims4 folder onto my desktop and let it load a fresh save from there, and lowered the graphics to Medium, which seems to let it last longer than when its on High, but it's really disappointing that I can't play the game on my new computer. Any advice? Thanks. 

Message 10 of 143 (13,311 Views)