I’m having the same problem and I also have El Capitan 

MacBook Pro (13in mid 2012)

Processor 2.5 GHz intel core i5

Memory 4GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 MB

Message 11 of 160 (2,025 Views)

Re: Sims 4 issues with Mac OS X El Capitan

★ Guide

I'm having the same issue. I've been running my game on Ultra with no lag or problem, until I ran the Nov 2019 update. Now when I start my game, create a sim or add one from my gallery, place them on a lot... the game starts to zoom in on them, then just hangs. The end. I have to do a hard shut down to get out of it, because it takes out my Finder too. It does not create a last crash file. A few times when it was trying to zoom in after I placed my sim, I could see all kinds of graphic glitches around the screen, but they're different every time. Also a couple times in CAS, the sim I created would look mostly black, or white, unless I put my cursor over it, then it appeared normal.
I have been trying everything I've read to do, starting with repairing the game, pulling my Sims 4 folder and creating a new one, to finally deleting my game via Origin, and redownloading it. Before I ran the patch, I pulled my mods and backed up my saves and Tray folders. After all the "fixes" I've tried, I've run a new test save with no mods. Every time, no matter what I've done, the same thing happens. As soon as I place a sim on a lot the game hangs and takes out my computer.

Here are my specs:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
OSX El Capitan 10.11.6
Processor: 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB

i don't use antivirus software.
I have all expansions, game packs & stuff packs except:
Discover University, Realm of Magic, Moschino Stuff, Kids Room Stuff, Toddler Stuff.

Here's a picture of a random sim, one of the times I attempted a new save. The middle one was with my cursor over it. The other two happened before and after I had my cursor over the sim.

patch glitch.jpg

Message 12 of 160 (2,003 Views)
Highlighted

★★★ Novice

Same issue here too. EA help said I needed to update my operating system but I’ve avoided that knowing there are still a host of issues with Mojave and I need my computer for work.

Message 13 of 160 (1,993 Views)

★★★ Novice

I just went ahead and updated the software on my computer, so hopefully it works! I will let you know if it does. 

Message 14 of 160 (1,972 Views)

★★★ Novice

Okay, that didn’t work. It has to be fixed on Origin’s side I’m sure. I’m waiting again to chat with someone. Hopefully someone actually talks to me this time. 

Message 15 of 160 (1,963 Views)

★★★★ Novice

My Computer Specs:

• Operating System: OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
  • Mac model: iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
  • Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
  • Memory (RAM): 16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3 
  • Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M390 2040MB

Packs and Expansions:

Get Famous, Get to Work, City Living, Island Living, Get Together, Vampires, Dine Out, Parenthood, Spa Day, Cool Kitchen, Moschino, Free Guitar

I do not use any CC or Mods

I am having similar issues. I have not been able to play my game since the Nov. 12th patch. I can use CAS, it doesn't glitch too much. I can place households in lots, and I can place smaller builds on empty lots. One of my favorite lots (it is a larger build with 3 stories and a basement) cannot be placed, as it crashes the game when I try to do so.

I can build lots with few issues, as the ground will disappear in places and other parts of the environment will not render properly, but build mode does work for the most part.

I can't however, play the actual game. When I go to play a household, it will either immediately or eventually crash my computer and force it to restart, or I will have to manually restart it myself. I started with a fresh household with one Sim living on the lot, told them to cook a grilled cheese sandwich, and the game shut my computer down.

I changed the game's view settings to lower resolution settings, which gave me ten more minutes of play time before it crashed the few times I tried, this on a brand new Sims4 folder within the Documents, with one sim in an apartment in San Myshuno. I've attached screenshots of what the game looked like.

Things I've tried to solve the issue:

• Repaired the game (several times)

• Removed The Sims4 folder from Documents and started fresh

—I tried this both by 1. copying backups of my saves and tray into the new folder, and 2. starting fresh with nothing in the folder at all

• Disabled Origin completely in game

• Uninstalled and Re-Installed both The Sims4 and Origin (several times)

• Got on chat with technical support (Not helpful - They told me to repair the game, which I'd done twice before I got on chat)

• Scheduled a phone call with technical support (Not helpful - he didn't know much about Macs and told me to download the legacy version when I very well know I don't need to)

• Tried the Legacy version and it crashed all the same, so I uninstalled the entire game, and re-downloaded, minus Legacy

• Shut my computer down and left it off overnight. Restarted in the morning, and the problems persisted.

• Changed view settings to lower resolution and lower quality edge smoothing and turning off the retina display setting (this allowed me to play, but I ended up with what is in the screenshots attached)

I truly believe I have exhausted every possible fix for this issue, and at this point, I am hoping for a fix from the developers. I am going to try a few more things tonight, but I'm not hopeful.

My biggest concern is that I will have to upgrade to Catalina for the game to work, but I really don't want to do that yet because I have Adobe design programs installed on my computer that I use for work, and I that know will not work in Catalina. But I can't afford to upgrade those at this time, so a fix for this version would be fantastic.

Message 16 of 160 (1,942 Views)

My game is crashing my computer

★★★ Novice

Hello

I hadn't played for a while but after seeing the new expansion I decided to buy it and play a little. But now the game is incredibly bugged. 

I first tried to create a new Sim and I got a really odd glitch Sim that at first had a lot of though shadows and after moving the cursor over went all white. 

I exited the game tried to repair it (sorry, dunno if this is how you say it in English) and rebooted my computer. I could finally finish my Sim but then after moving them to a lot the game crashed and turned off my computer. I tried one more time and it crashed but this time it didn't turn off the computer. I tried a third time and this time I again had my computer turn off after the game crashed.

I'm playing on a desktop iMac with os 10.11.6 

Message 17 of 160 (1,977 Views)

Re: My game is crashing my computer

★★★ Novice

You seem to be on a very old software update. (The latest is 10.15.1)

Can you also reply by putting your computer specs on here. (Go to the Apple Logo, then 'About this Mac' and show what it says.

Ex:

iMac (Inch, Date of computer

Processor:

Memory:

Graphics:

Don't include your serial number. Have you installed any CC (Custom Content) or any Mods onto the game the last time you played?

And how many expansion packs you have? is it the only one?

a unknown sim.

((disclaimer I do not work for Electronic Arts, just a casual sim who wants to help others since my sims game is slow hah))

Message 18 of 160 (1,967 Views)

Re: My game is crashing my computer

★★★ Novice

Hi

I don't have any CC and I think I played after the update that changed the system requirements. I think the only difference since the last time I played is the new expansion. I don't have the legacy edition. 
I have 18 packs, of those I have 7 expansion packs. 

iMac (27 inch, 2015) 
Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M380 2048

After the problems I googled the system requirements and I thought I was fine after seeing this page... https://help.ea.com/es-es/help/the-sims/the-sims-4/the-sims-4-system-requirements/#mac

Message 19 of 160 (1,938 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@SherwoodSpiritI'm having that exact same problem and I have almost the same specs as you. Dunno what to do. My computer crashed so badly it turned off after I tried to load a lot.

Message 20 of 160 (1,939 Views)