Original Post

Re: Sims 4 crashes on Mac on Startup

★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora hey there,

Macbook Pro 15inch 2017
processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3
Graphics Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB

Hope this helps, let me know if you need anything else. Just really want to start playing Sims 4
Message 501 of 519 (699 Views)

@hayley282

Which macOS?

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 502 of 519 (690 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Bluebellflora MacOS Sierra
Message 503 of 519 (685 Views)

@hayley282

Sierra is the issue (and why it's always helpful to provide all the specs. asked for Standard smile )

I've merged your post into this thread on the issue. You need to update to High Sierra or later. Update to Big Sur via the App Store or for previous versions - https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

AHQSigImage.png
Message 504 of 519 (682 Views)

Loading issue/black screen

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Max
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Cats and dogs, city living, get together,  get to work, dine out, outdoor retreat, parenthood, seasons, spa day,  cool kitchen stuff, laundry day, vampires, fitness stuff, movie hangout stuff, my first pet stuff, perfect patio stuff, toddler stuff.

Steps taken:

Clear Origin Cache,

Clear EA Cache,

Clean Install,

Repaired and updated game in origin

uninstalled and reinstalled

-w under command line aruguments

Unabled origins in game mode

took Origin offline

I have tried other things but this is all I can think of Currently

What happens when the bug occurs? The screen is completely black when I go to load sims. Some times it only does a half black screen. I have used this computer to play sims before I know it works. EA support is not being helpful in repairing 

What do you expect to see? The loading screen
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? Never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? It occurred after I uninstalled sims over 2 years ago and reinstalled it on computer last year

Message 505 of 519 (599 Views)

Re: Loading issue/black screen

@sherrygail8894 

Please can you provide more information about your Mac. Instructions on how to do so and what to provide here - http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting/m-p/4612...

Please also try this troubleshooting step to generate a clean Sims 4 folder - https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/READ-FIRST-Sims-4-Mac-Help-Guides-and-Troubleshooting...

AHQSigImage.png
Message 506 of 519 (584 Views)

★★★ Novice
  • Are you attempting to play the normal version of the game or the Legacy Edition? Legacy Edition
  • Are you running any antivirus? No I cleaned Mac out about 3 months ago with antivirus though
  • Have you tried to repair the game in Origin? Right click on the game in My Games and select Repair Game. I have don't this multiple times
  • Do you use CC/Mods? If so, have you tried removing them and seeing if that fixes your problem? No I do not

Additional steps I have tried:

1. Move your Sims 4 folder out onto your desktop and let the game generate a new one (if you have created a symlink to store your Sims 4 folder on an external drive do not move the folder but rename it instead). You can find the folder in Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 4. If your game then works ok the problem was in your user data (most causes for this are incompatible or conflicting CC/Mods). Now you have a nice, new, clean user data folder you can try adding your old data back into the game gradually, testing after each addition. For example, copy your saves from your old The Sims 4 folder into the new one. If your game once again doesn't perform properly then you know that there is a problem somewhere in your saves, one or more may be corrupted. 
    2. Try repairing your game. Open Origin, click on your games library, right click on The Sims 4 and select Repair Game.
    3. If you have Origin open but your game won't load, quit Origin then try launching the game again from the Sims 4 icon in your Applications folder.
    4. Log out of and quit Origin. Restart your Mac then open and log back in to Origin.
    5. Disable Origin in Game. Open Origin, navigate to the The Sims 4 in My Games, right click on the game and select Game Properties. Make sure Disable Origin in Game for this game is ticked. 
Message 507 of 519 (572 Views)

@sherrygail8894

Update to a later version of macOS. The issue is Sierra.

AHQSigImage.png
Message 508 of 519 (529 Views)

★★★ Novice

dumb question how do I do that?

Message 509 of 519 (527 Views)

@sherrygail8894