Re: It's completely crashed - Legacy Edition? Updates? I'm lost.

by Juniper18

Original Post

Re: Sims 4 does not launch in macOS Sierra

@jigstarz  The problem is likely that your version of High Sierra isn't fully updated.  Installing Catalina will fix it; so would Mojave.  (Reinstalling Origin and/or Sims 4 doesn't help.)  I don't know if you accidentally installed the Legacy Edition, but you don't need it—your Mac will run the standard edition just fine.

Thanks for the info.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 101 of 519 (2,267 Views)

It's completely crashed - Legacy Edition? Updates? I'm lost.

★★ Novice

Hi there! 

I have been playing Sims 4 every few days for over 6 months on my Macbook Pro (details below). In the last week, the game has completely crashed and I am unable to open it at all. 

When the game normally opens, it appears to zoom in on my desktop before a black screen slides across in full screen from the right and then the game loads full screen no problem - the game has never crashed on me. Over the past week, however, it gets to the part where the black screen slides in, the black full screen makes it halfway across the screen and the rainbow spinning wheel appears and everything freezes while it spins. Then I have to manually shut down the laptop in order to get it to respond again. When I restart, it says the computer shut down because of a problem. 

I am unsure of whether this has anything to do with the Sims 4 Legacy Edition and I am unsure if I need to download that edition as I do not know how my machine compares with the requirements of the Sims 4 since the update. I do recall my Sims updated around the time everything stopped working, but I am not sure what actually updated as I think Jungle Adventure also finished downloading and installed at this time too. 

I tried all of the standard troubleshooting options that you find when searching google including repairing the game, cleaning out my computer's, updating my computer, removing and reinstalling Origin, deleting the Sims 4 save files, and am now at the point where I have uninstalled Sims, have redownloaded it, only to have the exact same issue regardless of whether I try to open Sims4 or Sims4 Legacy. 

If someone could please give me some advice on what version of sims (Sims 4 or Sims 4 Legacy) my computer is compatible with and if they know what I should try in order to get the game back in a playable state I would be very grateful as I am completely lost for what to do now without trying to uninstall Sims again and upgrading my MacOS to Catalina.

Below are more details about my computer, the expansions/ packs I run and a couple more details. 

Thank you to anyone who is able to offer the time to try and help! 

Macbook Pro - 15-inch, 2016

Processor: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3

Graphics: Radeon Pro 450 2048MB, Intel HD Graphics 530 1536MB

Storage: 250GB capacity, 63GB available.

Expansions/ Packs: 

• Island Living
  • Get Famous
  • Jungle Adventure
  • City Living
  • Parenthood
  • Fitness Stuff
  • Get Together
  • Toddler Stuff
  • Romantic Garden Stuff
  • Moschino Stuff

Mods or Custom Content:

• None, ever.
Message 102 of 519 (2,260 Views)

Sims 4 won't start up then restarts my device (Mac). HELP!

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Hi,

I just downloaded Sims 4 Deluxe and a few other add ons for Mac. When I click play it gets launches a black or white loading screen with the mouse turning into a spinning loading beach ball. Then it stops and just becomes a still beach ball. Then it stays that way for a few minutes then the device restarts Disappointed

I have tried doing the other things listed here like repairing Sims 4 on Origin, disabling Origin in Game and moving the Sims 4 folder to the desktop but it still doesn't load. Attached the specs of my device. I was really looking forward to play this Frown

PLEASE HELP!

Message 103 of 519 (2,230 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Hi Juniper18,

As your MacBook Pro is a post-2012 model, I am fairly confident you do not need to use the Legacy Edition. To be sure sure, you can check to see if your Mac supports Metal. To do this, look at the top left of your screen and click the Apple icon. Then select the following:

About This Mac > System Report... > Hardware > Graphics/Displays

If you see "Metal: Supported [etc.]" then you do not need to use the Legacy Edition.

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but you mentioned you're running macOS Sierra, which is a relatively outdated OS, and this may be contributing to the problem but I couldn't say for sure. One issue to note is that currently many macOS Catalina users are reporting graphical issues so it may be prudent to hold off on a macOS update until the graphics issue is addressed by EA. 

Because the crash appears to happen as the game enters fullscreen, it may be worth trying to open the game in windowed mode. This article explains how to do this via Origin.

Hopefully that will be of some use. Standard smile

Message 104 of 519 (2,226 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

I'm having this exact same issue with almost the same specs as your Macbook Pro. I've done the same exhaustive list of troubleshooting solutions you've mentioned and uninstalled and reinstalled the game three times. 

Message 105 of 519 (2,212 Views)

Re: Sims 4 does not launch in macOS Sierra

[ Edited ]

@FreshlyBaked1111 @Juniper18 and @aubriesofala  I've merged your posts into the master thread for this issue.  The problem is with Sierra and AMD cards—the game won't run at all.  The only solution at this point is to update your OS to at least the newest build of High Sierra (10.13.6, I believe), although Sims 4 apparently runs better in Mojave or Catalina than it does in HS.

——————————————————————————————————————————

I don't work for EA. I'm just trying to help fellow players with their games.
Message 106 of 519 (2,206 Views)

★★ Novice
Message 107 of 519 (2,173 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you Haecandrome!

I have looked into the System Report and it does support Metal! One part of the puzzle solved! Thank you so much for the help! 

I am going to follow your advice and keep an eye on the Catalina issues! 

Thank you again! 

Message 108 of 519 (2,168 Views)

@Juniper18 

it is not one part of the puzzle, it is the puzzle. Wink

As @puzzlezaddict said in this post, updating to Mojave or Catalina will solve the problem.

But be careful if you use other 32bit App's. Apple ended all 32bit support with Catalina.

Meaning, if you use such apps, you should only update to Mojave.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This is a players helping players forum, I don't work for EA.
Dies ist ein Spieler helfen Spielern Forum, ich arbeite nicht für EA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Death closes all: but something ere the end, Some work of noble note, may yet be done, Not unbecoming men that strove with Gods.
Ulysses - Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Message 109 of 519 (2,154 Views)

★★★ Novice
@Juniper18 This is my same problem too! EXACTLY! Just installed two days ago! Tried everything in here
Message 110 of 519 (2,108 Views)