Original Post

Accepted Solution

[XB1] My Sim won’t cook

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Patio pack Regular sims 4 for Xbox one console
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Not sure
What happens when the bug occurs? When selecting fridge or oven to cook my sim will pull out the food and I will get charged for it but then he either just sets it down on the floor or stops cooking before it’s finished and just stands there. Won’t allow me to resume cooking I get a thought bubble with the go here feet symbol and a red x and he waves. It’s like he’s saying he can’t go to the place I’m asking although he was just doing it.
What do you expect to see? My sim put the food on the stove and cook it all the way through then take the serving and go sit down to eat it.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Please let me know if there are any possible fixes for this issue on console.

Message 1 of 20 (8,301 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: [XB1] My Sim won’t cook

★★ Novice
I want a big hole to open up and swallow me.
I am very sorry for wasting your time and blaming you for porting the bugs of the PC version to the Xbox version.

I hadn't put a spare counter top in the kitchen in for food prep. So amateur and simple.

I feel so embarrassed.
Thank you for taking the time to help me and I apologize profusely and sincerely for being so adamant that the fault was on your end when it was a very obvious oversight on mine.

Thanks and sorry times a hundred!
😲

View in thread

Message 11 of 20 (9,153 Views)

All Replies

Re: My Sim won’t cook

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Do you have at least one counter near the stove?

(If you use "Chef station" object, then you don't need a counter)

e.g.

[Fridge] [Counter(1+)] [Oven/Stove]

Message 2 of 20 (8,234 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I'm having a similar problem on PC. Half through cooking my sim stops, moves to another counter and says he can't reach the bowl anymore. I've moved the bowl back to the counter it was on previously and moved everything out of the way but the problem still persists. I've tried disabling all custom content, repairing the game in origin, factory resetting the game, clearing the cache. applying a batch fix, and i remade the family several times with changes. nothing seems to be working. 

Message 3 of 20 (8,195 Views)

★★ Novice
Hello, I'm having this problem ATM. It's preventing me from aging up my toddler to a child which I was really looking forward to.

I've deleted all the DLC and hardbooted my Xbox to delete the cache and my sim will still not bake the cake after taking the ingredients out of the fridge.

There is nothing in front or above my oven. There is no reason why my sim cannot bake the cake.

Have you managed to solve the bug and if so how?

There's loads of discussion on forums about this bug on PC but nothing about it on Xbox.

Are EA trying to fix it at all? I've paid £80 so far for this game and I was thinking about buying the Get to Work pack but not if I can't age up any of my children without baking birthday cakes.

Up until now I've been fine with my sims eating cereal and microwave meals but if I can't bake a cake my toddler can't grow up.

It wouldn't be an issue if my sim could order a cake on her phone or computer but no can do.

Thanks for any help you can give.
Message 4 of 20 (7,988 Views)

EA Sims Team

Hello @Zekastian9

Could you share a video or screenshot of what you're seeing?

Instructions here:

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/INFORMATION-How-to-Send-User-Files-to-The-Sims-4-Team/m-p/6065...

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 5 of 20 (7,961 Views)

★★ Novice
Yep. OK, will do but do you need that video to give me a fix? Like, do I need to try uninstalling the game, hardbooting my Xbox and then reinstalling the game?

In fact, now I've thought of that I'm gonna try it.

Can you give me any other tips please?

Message 6 of 20 (7,946 Views)

★★ Novice
I realise that if I fix it I won't be able to show you the bug.

Totally different angle now.
What I don't understand is I've seen loads of talk about this bug happening on PC and I remember reading that this game was ported directly to consoles with almost no changes as the architecture of the current gen of consoles is so similar to PCs.

So did the people who port the game to consoles just port the whole game without making sure to fix any of the bugs in the process?
Message 7 of 20 (7,943 Views)

EA Sims Team

@Zekastian9

Bug fixes are carried over from PC to console regularly.  However, unless we know exactly what you are experiencing, we can't confirm whether or not we are aware of the issue that you are describing.  Not being able to bake a cake can be caused by many different things.

Can you share where you've seen this discussed for PC?

This account is no longer accepting Direct Messages. If you need to send a Direct Message, please send it to TheSimsDirect. Thank you.

Message 8 of 20 (7,904 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice
It's not just baking a cake, it's cooking anything from the *Cook* menu at the fridge.

They take the ingredients out and then the thought bubble appears above their head with the blue footsteps and the red cross, indicating that they cannot do it and then they put the chopping board of ingredients down next to the fridge. Just like when you're telling them to go in the house but you've locked the door to them.

I've looked on YouTube for videos of this and fixes for it and it's all about the bugs on PC which doesn't help me as I can't go into the game's files like PC users can.

Can you play Sims4 at your office on a normal retail Xbox One and see if you have the same problem?

From my extremely limited understanding of the field, it must be something missing in a line of code.

I really want to carry on playing but my main reason for doing so is getting 10 and then 26 generations of sims in one household (these milestones are achievements on the Xbox One) and I cannot do that with this bug stopping me from aging up my sims with this *blow out the candles on a birthday cake* hoop the game wants me to jump through.

This is what PC users were experiencing on Sims4 back in 2014.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/805675/my-sims-cant-cook

Thank you for any help you can give me.
Sebastian
Message 9 of 20 (7,843 Views)

EA Sims Team

@Zekastian9

We've tried it ourselves, but were unable to see the problem, which is why I requested more information.

It's difficult for us to determine the cause of your issue unless we can see how your lot is arranged.  Even if we were able to see a similar issue ourselves, fixing it would not guarantee that your issue would be fixed, because what you are seeing may be different from what we see.  So a screenshot, video, or save file would be really helpful to us.

On the thread you listed, one of the more recent posts said "Had the same issue. Game repair didn't phase it. So swapped counters around, and that did it."  Have you tried rearranging/replacing objects on the lot?

Message 10 of 20 (7,836 Views)