by simsplayer818

Original Post

[PS4/XB1] Updating Graphics Settings Message

[ Edited ]
Champion

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Xbox Series S
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? 1.50.7.2300
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? Courtyard oasis, island living, luxury party, laundry day, snowy escape, vintage glamour, nifty knitting, jungle adventure, realm of magic, bowling night, cats and dogs, my first pet, outdoor retreat, country kitchen, throwback fit, toddler, dream home decorator, fitness, romantic garden, dine out, movie hangout, discover university, gnome on the go, perfect patio, spa day, kids room, industrial loft, parenthood, backyard, Strangerville, Moschino, animal hats, tiny living, city living, get famous, life of the party, get to work, up all night, cottage living, get together, seasons, cool kitchen, grims guitar, Incheon arrivals, fashion street, blooming rooms, paranormal, eco living (not installed)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? It occurs randomly during gameplay on my console after a few hours.
What happens when the bug occurs? In the middle of gameplay the game stops suddenly and I get a blue loading screen with spinning plumbob and a message that says "We are updating your graphics settings so that you can continue to enjoy playing The Sims 4".
What do you expect to see? If there is something I need to change on my console settings myself, I expect it to tell me what to do to avoid this happening. I haven't changed any settings myself and can't find any mention of this message anywhere affecting others. I've done a console reset twice and reinstalled all my content twice. I've power cycled numerous times.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Yes
Please describe the patch or change you made. It started a few months ago around the time I started to get a lot of crashing on save and exit and sometimes on travel or CAS then eventually on loading too. I already mentioned this on the feed about crashing on save and exit but it was suggested the 2 things weren't linked. It started after installing cottage living if memory serves me correctly.

I'm extremely unhappy with the stability of the Sims 4 especially after purchasing a next gen Xbox specifically for this game after my Xbox one couldn't cope with all the content I had, it works fine for it's new owner with several games installed.

I've had months of crashing on my brand new console and the feed on that subject has had no serious engagement from the Sims team, I've even reached out directly.

I'm trying to get to the bottom of it myself but a lot of the research I'm doing mentions that graphics issues can cause crashing. So I want a definitive answer from devs or someone on the subject. I've spent so much money but every day I have issues, it takes 3 attempts to load my game now and I often have to restart my console in the middle of loading as it freezes. I play around 4/5 hours every single day. The 2 things did start around the same time so instead of putting up with the message I'm trying to get it resolved. If there is something that I need to change on my console to avoid this then I need to know, I've had enough of it now. If it's not linked to crashing then ok, that needs investigation for all of us separately as we have already reported. But everything I'm reading says graphics issues are a big factor in crashing. I had no problems with my brand new console before Cottage Living. I'd uninstall it if I hadn't used it in so many households.

Edit by PoptartJuniper: Added tags, adjusted title.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 1 of 90 (8,362 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Xbox Message about updating graphics settings

Hero
@simsplayer818 Moving this to the console forum so a console player can assist you with this

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 90 (8,338 Views)

Champion
@crinrict Hi there, it's already mentioned on there but no clues as to what it is from anyone. Hoping someone from EA/Maxis spots it somewhere.
Message 3 of 90 (8,312 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@simsplayer818 Is this happening when you exit build mode?
Message 4 of 90 (8,205 Views)

Champion
@PoptartJuniper Hey there, it happens more often if I've travelled or just randomly after a few hours of gameplay. It's usually around the same time each day. It's only once per game session. It happens as a location is loading more than anything else.
Message 5 of 90 (8,198 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@simsplayer818 Is there any noticeable difference in the graphics when this happens?
Message 6 of 90 (8,195 Views)

Champion
@PoptartJuniper No I don't notice anything different at all. Nothing changes. Just the loading screen with the message and then back to my game.
But it does then inevitably crash on save and exit when I close my game down and hour or so later after the message. That may just be a big coincidence though.
Message 7 of 90 (8,172 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@simsplayer818 If there's no noticeable difference in graphics, this does not sound like the bug reported. The crashing is a longstanding issue that the QA team has been working on. I've heard less of this issue being reported as time goes on and since the graphics screens started being reported, so I think it may be old saves still affected. You can find more information here [XB] Crashing during travel, save the game, entering/exiting build mode

Message 8 of 90 (8,166 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

I bought a new Xbox series S on December 23rd hoping the game would play better on a next gen console. Since the day I bought it I've encountered this issue. The game pauses while playing, pops up a screen that says it is currently changing graphic settings so I can continue to play. This happened once or twice when I only owned base game. It is now happening regularly. Thinking the Xbox runs smoother than the PS4 I cashed in my credit card points& bought every pack over vacation. I'm now unable to load a few lots without crashing every time I try.

I'm especially confused because I've deleted every household except those needed for the game to work. Father winter, the vampires, the sages, eco experts, cottage living mayor etc.

I thought the loading screen saying the system is adjusting my graphics was a feature of the Xbox next gen. I didn't realize it could be a sign of bigger problems. I last owned an Xbox in 2009. Frankly I'm pretty upset to have spent so much stashed digital cash on something I answered own on PS4 & PC only to learn it's just as broken on Xbox.

Given how well base game ran i thought that was a good sign. Example, loading a game on my PS4 takes 9 minutes. On Xbox 2½. Fool me once shame on me fool me 3 times and I'm an idiot.

If I can provide video or anything to help track down whatever is happening please tell me how. I'm new to the console & unsure what is helpful or how to access it.

Message 9 of 90 (8,048 Views)

Champion
@Amalathea I sympathize with you. I feel like I'm throwing good money after bad. I'm reporting this issue, I'm reporting crashing I've even been in direct contact with the Sims Team. I don't know what the message means or if there is something they need to change or if I need to adjust something. As I've already said on 2 other threads, it takes between 3 to 10 attempts to even load my game on my Xbox series S now and my console was only purchased last spring, my game save carried over from my previous Xbox one so it can't be down to that if it's happening to you too.
My issues only started on this console when I added cottage living so if you have that pack maybe that's the common factor here?
Personally I don't think the Technical Issues-Consoles section gets enough engagement from devs. The crashing feed certainly doesn't anyway. I love this game, I've played it since Sims 1, every version but I'm not getting anywhere with these problems and am really fed up.
Message 10 of 90 (8,034 Views)