by Profane

Original Post

Accepted Solution

PS4 - Very frequent blue-screen crashes

★★★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Sony Playstation 4
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Often (50% - 99%)
What is your current game version number? SP09: 1.assets.live-sp09.72
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All packs excepts Bowling Night and Romantic Garden. (Also not Island Living as it is not yet available on PS4.)
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? You'd need to have access to my current lot with its current building. Have a Sim attempt to travel away from the lot using the phone.
What happens when the bug occurs? Game will autosave and crash either during the autosave or immediately after.
What do you expect to see? I expect the game to not crash frequently and for Sims on the lot to be able to travel to other lots.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? Neutral/Not Sure 

First type of crash:
Backstory: Had a large build on a 50x50 lot in Willow Creek some time ago. Lag was becoming an issue, both in build and live mode. As in, delayed responses to input and fps lag (not the 'standing still' lag that Sims frequently exhibit). Crashes were considerably less frequent. Maybe once a day or less. (Currently, they are at about once an hour, though this is changing positively as I alter my current lot.) Wanted to move to a new world, start a new build. At the time, only had some of the packs. Upon deciding to move my Sims to a new world, bought remaining packs that I wanted (Strangerville, Outdoor Retreat, Spa Day, Get Famous, Get Together, Backyard/Kids' Room/Laundry Day/Luxury Party/Fitness/Perfect Patio Stuff packs). I built a new home.

New home was built using MOO; previous home lacked MOO. Upon moving my Sims into the new building, located in Windenberg, lag wasn't really an issue anymore. I believe actual square footage of living space was a bit less than the previous build, though there were considerably more individual items on the lot. Immediately thereafter, saves (manual and auto) caused blue screens about 75%-90% of the time. Frequently, going into or out of build mode would also prompt a crash. Occasionally, it would just crash randomly in live mode. I wondered if it was too many items on the lot, so I deleted a lot of smaller items. Was able to save after this, though crashes still occurred on autosave (prompted by attempts to travel) and probably a quarter or third of the time on manual saves. Also infrequent random crashes. Deleted more items. Now my Sims could travel.

Later, I redecorated the home for Winter. I expected some degree of the old instability (I was not disappointed). After the Christmas-type holiday, I deleted all the decorations but the instability remained. I have since deleted a lot of things from inventories (household, chest and Sim inventories, everything but skill/mood/toddler books - previously had all the books) deleted a lot more items and deleted several rooms. The only inventories I did not nearly clear are for flower arranging and edible items in the fridge. I also changed a number of items to be placed without MOO. I am able to save without crashing pretty regularly (probably crashes about 1 in 8 or 1 in 10 saves), but my Sims are unable to travel without the game instantly crashing about 98% of the time. The one exception took about 3-4 tries and was an invite from another Sim. Attempting to travel using the phone, however, crashes every time.

Furthermore, load times for both loading the world (which is populated only by existing lots and Maxis-curated lots on previously empty lots and Sims that were placed in the world by the game) and loading the lot I play are pretty extreme. It takes a minimum of ten minutes to get back into the game after a crash. Load times are considerably less lengthy on new saves; a friend who has watched my shareplay has brought up that my load time compared to theirs is excessive (he plays on a pre-made lot with only a few DLC packs). I am unsure if the load times are caused by this specific lot, by filling the empty lots with curated lots, or by something else/a combination. My load times with my old lot (that had lag) was long compared to his, but not nearly as long as it is currently.

My troubleshooting: I have deleted the game and redownloaded it and all of the DLC. No change. I have also gone into a new save to see if the traveling issue persists. It does not, at least on a very small, pre-made lot. I have not tried traveling using a Sim in another household on my current save, however.

So, given that the lag that I had on the previous lot is missing from this lot... but clearly the crashes are specific to this lot... Is the issue with the number of items or with MOO-placed items? If items, are interactive items more of a problem than simple decor? Or would that be irrelevant?

Second type of crash:
Upon clicking 'My Library', the game crashes. This occurs in build mode, live mode and build mode accessed from My Worlds. Sometimes it goes directly into a blue screen, sometimes it goes black for about 30-60 seconds before going into a blue screen. I have deleted almost all of my created content and some of the Maxis-curated content. I think my created content is maybe 4-7 rooms and smallish lots and one or two Sims. Not a lot.

All crashes result in the CE-34878-0 error code.

I know my post probably prompts a sarcastic "Really?" Obviously, the easiest and quickest solution would be to bulldoze what I've built. However, I am on console; I do not have access to other people's creations or CC. What I built took a long time and a lot of effort. I have already erased a fair bit of that work in attempting to make the lot stable. I am confused as to why it was stable briefly and now, with even more deletions, is still unstable. I genuinely do not want to bulldoze my work. 

In short, I'm looking for the least painful resolution to the instability.

Message 1 of 7 (4,214 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: PS4 - Very frequent blue-screen crashes

Hero (Retired)

@Profane The played sims you load into the gallery will retain all their skills, aspiration rewards, and jobs. The only thing that will be messed up is the relationships, they forget all outside relationships. I haven't moved sims from the library directly into a house, but I have created new households and then moved them from the library into the new household but then had to assign their family relationships in the CAS. If you move the family directly into a house from the gallery I believe they retain their funds and household relationships but I haven't messed with that.

I believe so long as the household has unlocked the career items, that also carries over with them. You can always load them into your gallery and test them in the new save.

If your other games are fine with no crashes, the old save was probably corrupted. As I said, I had to abandon old saves that I added expansions to because they were a mess.

View in thread

Message 5 of 7 (4,062 Views)

All Replies

Hero
@Profane moving this to the console forum. Hopefully someone can assist you with this.

Good Luck
Crin

Trennlinie

I don't work or have any association with EA. I give advice to the best of my knowledge and cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your computer/game.
Please only contact me via PM when asked to do so.

Important Threads

Message 2 of 7 (4,145 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Profane I get the blue screen crashes but they are very rare. 

I have had to stop playing on saves where I have added new expansion or game packs to them. They lag and stutter and there's terrible AI delay in them. Stuff packs don't seem to cause the stuttering and AI delay but adding any new content seems to cause a lot of troubles on existing saves, unfortunately.

If the sims is the only game crashing like that, I'd say your save is corrupted. If other games crash like that, you could have an issue with your hard drive.

You can save all your households and builds to the gallery and put them back down in a new game. Downside is any households will forget their relationships. It's not an easy fix, but I didn't see that you said you tried a new save with all the content packs from the beginning.

Message 3 of 7 (4,099 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

@PoptartJuniperI had tried a new save with all the packs, but on a very small lot. Didn't get a crash upon traveling, but it was also a fresh load (which now works in my current save).

I would assume saving my household to the gallery and re-downloading them would cause them to lose all skills, career unlocks and aspirational achievements though, right? I know, I'm one of those weirdos that plays without cheats (except MOO).

And no, other games are fine. I've kind of gotten my current save to a semi-functional state at this point. If I've been playing for a while and try to travel, crash. But traveling after immediately loading the game up fresh works. The crashes when moving in/out of build mode still occur, but not frequently. And crashes when attempting to save are now quite rare.

Thanks for your reply.

Message 4 of 7 (4,070 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Profane The played sims you load into the gallery will retain all their skills, aspiration rewards, and jobs. The only thing that will be messed up is the relationships, they forget all outside relationships. I haven't moved sims from the library directly into a house, but I have created new households and then moved them from the library into the new household but then had to assign their family relationships in the CAS. If you move the family directly into a house from the gallery I believe they retain their funds and household relationships but I haven't messed with that.

I believe so long as the household has unlocked the career items, that also carries over with them. You can always load them into your gallery and test them in the new save.

If your other games are fine with no crashes, the old save was probably corrupted. As I said, I had to abandon old saves that I added expansions to because they were a mess.

Message 5 of 7 (4,063 Views)

★★★ Novice

I had stopped playing for a while, but I'm coming back to this thread because I was experiencing the same issue after spinning off two Sims into a new household in an apartment. (At this point, I own everything but My First Pet.) Now, given that it was an apartment, space was limited. So it didn't have nearly the same number of objects, rooms, etc. It was significantly smaller.

And yet, I still experienced a guaranteed crash after going into Build Mode and then back into Live Mode unless I had just recently restarted the game. Load times were still excessive and I was still experiencing frequent crashes when trying to load the gallery, even if I had just restarted the game. I would rarely experience crashes from traveling, however. That kind of crash seems specific to a lot with too many items on it.

Now, before I went through the work of setting up a new save, I deleted and redownloaded the game and DLC, rebuilt my PS4 database (which has made the system menu snappier, so no regrets) and restored licenses. I still got crashes, but I was kind of expecting it.

So, taking the advice of PoptartJuniper, I created a whole new save. Before doing so, I saved my three played households and my personal custom builds. I also managed to save inventory items by placing them in the rooms/lots that I saved to my gallery (such as paintings, unfinished collection items, plants, etc). I then loaded them all into the new world.

Poptart was correct about aspirations/skills/etc being saved. Funds can also be recovered so long as you load the household in a specific way (click a lot, then click 'create new household to move in,' then place the saved household from your gallery while in CAS). If you do it any other way, you just get the default starting funds.

I even managed to re-create familial relationships by ordering my placements. When placing households with familial relationships, place the 1st generation, then add the second to the same household and edit the relationships while still in CAS. You can then spin-off the 2nd generation and add the third generation in CAS. (I had an unusually complicated family - the primary Sims included Bella Goth, who had an ex-husband and two kids in my old world. She married my Sim, then had four more kids, two who were in their own household. Meanwhile, the Sim she married had a daughter who'd married Bella's son and had kids of their own. But I still managed to re-create the familial relationships in CAS, though I had to upload and place an edited version of the Goth family.)

Basically, as long as the Sims you are importing are not in the generation previous to your already placed Sim, you can edit the family relationship without cheats (you can add a son, but not a father; a grandson, but not a grandmother). Of course, cheats would make the whole thing easier.

After all this, my game is loading faster (though I've yet to place all the lots that were in my old world, filling up empty spaces). It is also not crashing! So Poptart's solution works and, for the most part, can be done without losing much from your old world or using cheats.

Things that are lost: authorship of paintings (value also changes), physical graduation degrees and pictures (though the Sims keeps the degree accreditation in their traits), household/personal inventory that is not placed in the world, fish in tanks (must be placed individually in world), specific inventory items even if placed (mixed drinks become empty glasses), artifact quality from Salvadora defaults to poor, relationships to other Sims.

Retained: career/event unlocks, aspiration rewards, aspiration reward points, plant qualities, inventory items placed in the world, jobs/skills, fame, childhood traits (like Responsible), funds (if placed correctly as noted above), pictures taken by Sims.

(Also, somehow I saved the kids' Void Critters collection but I have no idea how since that should have been in their personal inventory. Also a candle from Eco Lifestyle that would have been in personal inventory, too. It even retained authorship.)

TL;DR solution: Crashes when traveling from home lot may be due to too many items placed on the lot. Crashes when loading gallery and/or exiting build mode into live mode can be fixed by creating a new save and you can save most things by uploading households/lots to gallery.

Message 6 of 7 (3,064 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@Profane  Are you still not crashing? I just spent the better part of the last 7 hours redoing a new save following the instructions. I put inventory that needed to go in build mode and moved some things from one room to another, came out of build mode, and BLUE SCREEN! 

I'm so frustrated I could cry. For more than a couple of months I have been crashing several times in one span of game play (yes, could be over the course of hours). It's become fairly unplayable. All the money spent on packs and now it's a virtual door stop. @PoptartJuniper  and @crinrict have been wonderful trying to help give possible solutions. This new game save was my last resort. Now I don't know what to try. 

Message 7 of 7 (2,858 Views)