L1 & R1 buttons have no input

by Amalathea

Original Post

Accepted Solution

L1 & R1 buttons have no input

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

L1 & R1 buttons stop accepting input at random.

I have no idea if this is a bug or an issue with my consoles, yes plural. I've had the problem recreate on both of my PS4 consoles however since the problem is random I cannot purposefully recreate it. I can say it happens with a controller plugged in via a cord, operating via bluetooth & over the PS4 Remote Play.

Once the problem happens the only way I can reset the contoller to operate properly is to close the Sims 4 Application & reboot the game entirely.

Given that the control for Speed +1,2,3 / Speed -1,2,3 & pause are all attached to the L1 & L2 buttons as well as a whole SLEW of menues this is a problem with no real work around other than to try & play the game with a keyboard & mouse, which I cannot. I have the means just not the coordintion nor the patience to even try keyboard/mouse.

Am I alone here?

Message 1 of 13 (5,987 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: L1 & R1 buttons have no input

Hero (Retired)

@Uigenna This is a bug. Please report this issue on the bug forum. Several threads have already been made, you can check any of these to see if they match, otherwise open a new bug report please.

"Editing restaurant/vet outfits breaks it UI/Controls" or 

"Gallery Menu Distortion" or 

"Can’t rotate sim in create a sim" or 

"Can’t place windows individually. Only allows to be auto placed." 

See also this thread for current issues: [Read First][Current Issue] Game Issues or Crashes Patch 1.32 (Oct 6 Update) 

View in thread

Message 12 of 13 (5,635 Views)

All Replies

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@Amalathea Were you in the CAS with a Restaurant or in the gallery in build mode prior to the controls stopping?

Message 2 of 13 (5,976 Views)

★ Guide

@PoptartJuniper I do not entirely understand what you are asking me. The last time this happened this morning it was so distinct I decided to make this a topic. I started my game fresh from a crash. The game loaded & I went straight into building a venue. The venue was a museum. I had done nothing in the build other than pick up a childs doll house. I could not free rotate the dollhouse at all. I loaded to the gallery & could not scroll between the tabs at all I was stuck in the tab where I started. I exited & loaded a family household. I could not advance speed out of the pause menu & when opening the phone I could not scroll the phone out of the 1st panel. I've had this happening to me a lot while in Windenburg which is where I am building right now. Last night it happened at the Windenburg Gym & right now it's been happening at the Windenburg pool. I've bulldozed both & are rebuilding them I do not know if that is a factor. However I'm unsure how it could be a fact when loading the gallery from the world map menu but I'm not the expert so I dont know.

I will say last night when this happened I was playing via PS4 Remote Play. I immediately turned my TV on & tried to use my actual PS4 controller with my PS4 via bluetooth the way they generally work. That did nothing to fix the problem so I plugged my controller into my PS4 directly & that didn't fix anything either. The L1 & R1 buttons worked fine while in the PS4 menues but in the Sims 4 they did nothing no matter what I tried to do. A few days ago this happened while I was playing directly on my other PS4 console in my bedroom. I've used 3 different controllers so far on 2 different consoles & have had this happen to varying degrees.

Message 3 of 13 (5,930 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Amalathea A few different bug threads are currently active for your issue "Editing restaurant/vet outfits breaks it UI/Controls" or "Gallery Menu Distortion" or "Can’t rotate sim in create a sim" that have to do with controls not working, this is why I asked the questions I did. It will help narrow down where to direct your report.

These are covered here in this thread [Read First][Current Issue] Game Issues or Crashes Patch 1.28 (July 8th Update)

Message 4 of 13 (5,915 Views)

★ Guide

@PoptartJuniper While all of these bug reports *do* apply to my problem when it happens these reports are not actually my real problem.

I just now shutdown my system overnight & loaded it the next day. I loaded a game save, entered a residential family lot & the problem was there from the load into the home. Using my USB mouse to travel to a different lot the game corrected itself upon loading at the community lot which was a library.

Since the problem is happening from the moment the game is open it is absolutely NOT being caused by a restaurant bug.

I DID however load a restaurant & I can say the L1 & L2 buttons do completely break while trying to navigate after editing not only CAS but also the menu.

I would say this travel option is a work around until a hotfix can come out being this is a complete game breaking bug, however if the average PS4 gamer does not have a USB mouse they can use as an emergency controller for their game the ONLY "fix" I have found is closing the application & reloading. I clocked it, shutting down the game & reloading for me takes 9 minutes. So if this bug happens on load with no other prompting at all how many times will a gamer have to shutdown & reload their game just to see if the controls are even useable to play?

And I do not actually seem to have the gallery menu distortion problem at all now that I reread that topic.

Message 5 of 13 (5,882 Views)

★ Guide

@PoptartJuniper 
Okay now this is absolutely ridiculous & am I starting to get angry. I posted the last response to you while waiting for my residential family I just mentioned to travel. I arrived at the library & tried to move the sims around, then edit the lot then travel back home. I did not get that far at all.

I arrived fine. Could move the sims fine. As soon as I entered BB the controller was not only not allowing L1 & R1 button presses to register AGAIN now when I pressed L2 & R2 the buttons would not allow me to size up or size down an object. Instead the L2 button opened the search bar. I also could not grab a roof eave & drag just one side with square because the button option was defaulting repeatedly to the square hotkey to change the swatch of the floor below the building which is not a thing you can do.

Which resulted in my game crashing! Again.

Error CE-34878-0 which we all know is generic PS4 nothing message for "hey something broke!" but heck if anyone knows what broke.

I am thoroughly unhappy right now because my game has become absolutely unplayable. The June update made it so I couldn't actually play for a week because no saves I owned would load. Now I cannot play because the saves load but the controlls are literally causing constant crashes. When you spend $1k on a game you really do expect that it will be able to load & start. It is literally the minimum expectation of a product.

Message 6 of 13 (5,876 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Amalathea As I stated above, your issue is addressed in this thread [Read First][Current Issue] Game Issues or Crashes Patch 1.28 (July 8th Update). Please make a bug report on the bug forum as indicated in this link if the current reports do not match your issue.

Message 7 of 13 (5,868 Views)

★ Guide

@PoptartJuniper The current reports some match my issue & some don't. I've done the create a bug report if your issues don't match thing before only to have my issue immediately merged into a bug report that it does not apply to which is why I asked here first. Thank you.

Also I've just realized I have another new problem. Whenever loading the Quad Manor lot in Windenburg even from a fresh vanilla game going into BB, edit anything then trying to leave the lot to play creates a PS4 CEblahblah no one cares crash. I even rebuilt my entire console database before doing this. It is a garaunteed crash every time. I 1st encountered this crash in August of last year & thought it was fixed.

I now currently have 6 game breaking bugs that cause instant crashes & I'm frankly fed up. I'll go report the bug & watch it moved somewhere it doesn't belong & the bug never get fixed though because you said so.

Message 8 of 13 (5,823 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@Amalathea Yeah this happens to me as well.
Message 9 of 13 (5,450 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@AllSheWrote1986 Please report this issue on the bug forum. Several threads have already been made, you can check any of these to see if they match, otherwise open a new bug report please.

"Editing restaurant/vet outfits breaks it UI/Controls" or 

"Gallery Menu Distortion" or 

"Can’t rotate sim in create a sim" or 

"Can’t place windows individually. Only allows to be auto placed." 

Message 10 of 13 (5,373 Views)