[FAQ] Sims 4 Console Autonomy and Simulation Lag

by PoptartJuniper

Original Post

[FAQ] Sims 4 Console Autonomy and Simulation Lag

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

First, please make sure you aren't being affected by these current issues, and post in those bug threads if so: 

Otherwise:

My sims won't respond to commands! They take too long to do anything! My sims just stand around for hours!

Sound familiar? This is the place for you!

If you are on PS4/5 You can share your affected saves. Twitter Save Sharing / AHQ Save Sharing. You can send your saves to either SimGuru.

See also the current thread on The Sims Forums Regarding this issue: Sims 411 

Please also check the bug forum for reports of issues that may be causing lag to be extreme. Bug Forum 

Autonomy and Simulation Lag/Troubles

Power down your console completely, XB1 / PS4. Unplug the console for 2-3 minutes.

During this time you can check your console to make sure it's clean of dust and has adequate ventilation.

Relaunch the game to see if your issue persists.

These issues are most common on:

• Original XBox One and PlayStation 4 Consoles
  • Owning a lot of packs
  • Very old saves
  • Saves with lots of played households
  • Lots of items in builds, including the use of lots of different packs in builds
  • Lots of Sims in relationship panels of played sims because of lack of game relationship culling (Think friend of the world on a sim without aging on, etc.)
  • The use of large lots (50x50, 64x64)

Reset Your Sim

Spoiler
  • You can reset your sim using cheats. (Yes, resetting your sim has its own EA page. Sims standing still and doing nothing is official). Controls Here for Console
  • You can travel to another lot with your sim to instantly clear all queues for all sims on the previous lot. (Non-Cheat, ideal way if not cheating as it covers sims not under your control)
  • You can reset your sim by going into build mode and placing furniture on top of them until the sim does an A pose and teleports away. (Non-Cheat)  A small note about resetting your sim this way. If you have a toddler who has eaten produce, they will drop all their produce around them on the floor in a grand circle. You can pick it up quickly by mousing over it and pressing X (XB1) or Square (PS4) twice. Reference

Autonomy and Simulation Lag is not exclusive to console. There is a lot of information in that thread about the following frequently seen issues:

• Sims standing around doing nothing
  • Sims not doing anything on their own (with free will set to max)
  • Sims take forever to do a given command
  • Time jumping backwards after fast forwarding to Ultra Speed. The Sims will usually freeze while fast forwarded.
  • Sims come home late from school or work
  • FPS Drops

Things you can do in game:

Spoiler
  • Check to see if your sim is waiting on another sim's interaction, or trying to interact with a "busy" sim. They often queue interactions and then wait for the other sim to either be out of range, or the other sim to stop being busy.
  • Empty out your Sims personal and household inventories (All households you have ever played)
  • Travel to a different lot with the sim
  • Reduce the amount of objects in your house (Including inside bookshelves, chests, refrigerators, yard sale tables)
  • Disable emotional Aura's on everything that has them
  • Remove some packs from your build
  • Play in a smaller house and lot with less art pieces and stuff lying around (Move your sims to another lot)
  • Once the freezing occurs, try pausing the game for time to "catch up." You can press the Menu/Options button and try saving your game, or simply keep the menu open also for time to "catch up." You can also try to simply go to manage worlds and back to the household.
  • Go to the Audio settings and remove the check next to Enable Mood Sting
  • Go to the "Other" tab in the game/pause menu and uncheck everything except Online Features Access
  • Start a new game (completely shut down the game, then restart it and start a new save game)
  • Move your Sims to a new game. You can do this by saving your sims and their houses to the library then placing them down in a new game.

I did every single thing on that list and nothing worked!

Uninstall and Reinstall the game and all it's expansion packs.

XB1

Spoiler

Uninstall and Reinstall the Game. 

Before you can reinstall a game, you must first uninstall it from the console's hard drive. To uninstall a game:
  1. Press the Xbox button to open the guide, then select My games & apps and then Games.
  2. Highlight the game you want to uninstall, press the Menu button, and then select Uninstall.
Power Down your console Completely

You can then reinstall the game by inserting the disc or downloading it again from the Microsoft Store. To download the game again, go to My games & apps > Games and then select the game title from Ready to install.
PS4

Spoiler

Uninstall and Reinstall the Game. 

• Go to Settings > Application Saved Data Management > Saved Data in System Storage > Delete.

• Select a game or application.

• Set check marks beside the data you wish to delete or Select All.

• Select Delete > then OK to confirm your decision.

Power Down your console completely.

You can then reinstall the game by inserting the disc or downloading it again from the PSN Store. From the home screen, go to [Library] and select the 'Purchased' folder. Select the game you want to download. Add-ons can be found in a subsection within each game. Select ‘Download’ on the content screen.

Creating a New Save and Reinstalling the game did not help either!

Check for Bug Reports for your issue or Create a New Bug Report.

Other FAQ Guides

DLC Issues

Cheats Issues

Console Gallery

Console Mods and CC

General FAQ and Help Threads

Message 1 of 54 (62,924 Views)

Re: FAQ - Sims 4 Console Autonomy and Simulation Lag

★★★ Pro

I don't know if this will help with everyone but I found deleting majority of things in my library worked for me I have reduced loading screens no stimulation lag and Sims now do tasks straight away.

Message 2 of 54 (62,834 Views)

★★ Novice

And what do you mean by deleting things from you library? 

Message 3 of 54 (62,555 Views)

★ Novice

Will deleting the game Delete my saved game ? 

Message 4 of 54 (62,405 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@connorhall450 No. Saved data remains on your system when you uninstall a game. 

Message 5 of 54 (62,390 Views)

★ Novice

Thank you for your help 

Message 6 of 54 (62,368 Views)

★ Guide

I reset my library by adding it to a flash drive but even with that they still just stand there even after you command them I think that's a job for ea workers to fix it started after the new patches

Message 7 of 54 (61,734 Views)

★★★★★ Guide
@PoptartJuniper Ive found a lot of the time that even just opening the cheat console can reset things sometimes. It's like doing that will refresh the simulation.
Message 8 of 54 (50,202 Views)

Hero (Retired)
@Bearpal64 Using the pause will do it too. As will going to manage worlds screen or travel. It all resets the Sims in the area.
Message 9 of 54 (50,193 Views)

Is anyone else having this problem with autonomy

★★★ Newbie

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone is experiencing is experiencing an autonomy problem where the character will no longer carry out actions. I have recently updated to Xbox S series console and since have been having problems with played character refusing to perform actions about 50% of the time. Have tried disabling autonomy for played character and have even disabled autonomy completely all to no avail. This issue is now ruining my enjoyment of the game. Most frequently presents when requiring bladder or hunger needs.. Frequently when requiring bathroom will refuse until uncontrolled bladder control causes embarrassment. Also when hungry if I am actually able to provoke character into cooking, will most frequently stop cooking and grab a quick meal instead of preparing meal.   

Message 10 of 54 (49,404 Views)