Controls for The Sims 4 on consoles (Outdated as of February 2023)

by EA_Mai

Original Post

Controls for The Sims 4 on consoles (Outdated as of February 2023)

[ Edited ]
EA app Team

Edited (June 2020) - With the latest patch, we have added a new Controls Overlay Reminder that shows up throughout CAS, Gallery, Live Mode and Build Mode which should make it easier for new Simmers to jump in and not need to remember all the controls.

If you don’t want to be reminded and you know all the controls by heart, you can turn off the Controls Overlay Reminder in the Game Options > Other menu

Hi Simmers,

We have seen quite a few questions and discussions surrounding the controls so I thought this is the perfect opportunity to put our heads together and share some tips & tricks regarding controls.

I'll start with the basics and a few not so basic, if you have tips of your own to share drop a post below. I will keep updating this post with all the new tips that come in Standard smile

BASIC CONTROLS FOR XBOX

Spoiler

Create a Sim (CAS):

Build Mode:

Live Mode:

BASIC CONTROLS FOR PLAYSTATION

Spoiler

Create a Sim (CAS):

Build Mode:

Live Mode:

ADVANCED TRICKS

Live Mode:

• Open cheats bar:
    Xbox:
     Press both the left and right triggers and bumpers (LT + RT + LB + RB)
    PlayStation
    : Press L1 + L2 + R1 + R2 all at the same time
    Heads up: You will need to introduce testingcheats on to use cheats. If you use testingcheats, achievements will be disabled for the current save game.

• Show cheat options when clicking on Sims/objects (equivalent to Shift + click on PC): 
    Xbox: press B + A. Make sure to press B first, and then A while holding B.
    PlayStation: press O + X. Make sure to press O first, and then X while holding O.

• Lock panels like the needs panel: press the right stick to pin an open panel.

• Clear notifications window: select the notification window, then press Right Trigger (Xbox)/R2 (PS4) to clear all the messages out. (Thanks to @PoptartJuniper here)

• Sell items in Sims inventory: (Thanks to @PoptartJuniper)
    • Individual items in stacks: open the stack using the Right Trigger (Xbox)/R2 (PS4) while having the stack selected in the inventory, then press Y (Xbox)/Triangle (PS4) in an individual item to sell it.

• Stacks: while having the stack selected in the inventory, press Y (Xbox)/Triangle (PS4).
  • Check goals for social events: (Thanks to @SimGuruKuxiku)
    Xbox: Press the X button to toggle goals on/off
    PlayStation: Press the [SQUARE] button to toggle goals on/off  
    When goals are toggled on, you should also see them popping up at the top of your screen once the event started. Also, the description of each event type will get a line added to the top informing you about the challenge reward that you could get when closing off the event and its goals successfully.

Buy/Build Mode:

• Toggle between grid / half grid / free object placing:
    This will allow you to place objects outside the grid.
    Xbox:
     Press the left trigger (LT)
    PlayStation
    : Press L2

• Rotate objects: while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press LB or RB.
    PlayStation: press L1 or R1.

• Rotate objects to any angle: while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press LB/RB at the same time, then right stick to rotate.
    PlayStation: press L1/R1 at the same time, then right stick to rotate.

• Rotate floor tile: triangle (PS4) or Y (Xbox) while using the single floor tile tool.

• Toggle between full floor tile/quarter of a floor tile: square (PS4) or X (Xbox) while using the single floor tile tool.

• Toggle full room and 1 wall when painting: R1 or L1 (PS4) - either one of the Bumpers (Xbox) when using painting tool. Also applies when placing floor tiles or windows.

• Move one side of the eaves on the roof:
    Xbox: select the eaves with A and while it is selected, hold X and drag. A and X need to be pressed at the same time.
    PlayStation: select the eaves with X and while it is selected, hold square and drag. X and square need to be pressed at the same time.
    (Thanks to @electricfizz here)

• Change object size: while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press both triggers + left (smaller)/right (bigger)
    PlayStation: press L2 and R2 + left (smaller)/right (bigger)

• Change object elevation: introduce the cheat 'bb.moveobjects on' to activate moveobjects. Once active, while having an object selected:
    Xbox: press both triggers + up/down
    PlayStation: press L2 and R2 + up/down

CAS:

• Clear filters:
    Xbox:
     Press X to open the filter and then Y to clear the filters with a category selected.
    PlayStation: Press square to open the filter and then triangle to clear the filters with a category selected.
    (Thanks to @PoptartJuniper here)

Are you missing something in the list? Let us know! Standard smile

Message 1 of 75 (283,834 Views)

Re: Controls for The Sims 4 on consoles

★ Apprentice

Is there any way to rotate lots themselves?

Message 2 of 75 (283,545 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @PolluxSims,

You can rotate the contents of the lot (the house itself and garden items), using the moving option you will find in the top of the screen while in build mode:

movelot.png

Happy building! Standard smile

-Mai

Message 3 of 75 (283,469 Views)

★★ Novice
I find the controls to be very glitchy when im in the move in house menu. It is very difficult to select the house or apartment that i want to move to. Especially in San Myshuno. Is there a way to toggle to manual curser mode kinda like a mouse on pc? Ive been trying to figure this out for a while. Currently I can only use snap cursor mode and it constantly snaps to the menus above the world screen and im not able to select the apartments i want to move into. It took me about five minutes to select the apartment i have my sim living in now in the arts quarter. Im on xbox one btw.

Thank you.

AJ
Message 4 of 75 (283,309 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @MindfulGamer111,

There's not a 'manual mode' for map view, and some players have reported experiencing something very similar: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/PS4-Problem-with-travel-Can-t-select-certain-lots/m-p/6448755#... If you read that thread and it's exactly the same, you might want to press 'Me too' or if you have information to add, join the conversation.

Thanks!

-Mai

Message 5 of 75 (283,306 Views)

★ Apprentice

Why do you have to switch back to the cursor after you tap on something, it makes no sense what so ever especially since the cursor itself can literally do EVERYTHING. Having to switch back to cursor once you tape on something is why people HATE the controls for this game, me included. I don't understand why EA did this, but they need to fix it 

Message 6 of 75 (283,260 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice
Wait, how does reading the thread or adding to the complaints help any of us out? We have expressed what the issue is time and again. What are you guys doing to fix it? Instead of directing us to the “me too” or “add to thread” function.
Message 7 of 75 (282,332 Views)

★ Novice
Does anyone know how to turn object snap off? I’m trying to specifically place items and it keeps snapping to grid
Message 8 of 75 (281,940 Views)

EA app Team

Hi @emjaay_xx,

Please, give this a try:

Toggle between grid / half grid / free object placing:
This will allow you to place objects outside the grid.
Xbox:
 Press the left trigger (LT)
PlayStation
: Press L2

Happy building! Standard smile

-Mai

Message 9 of 75 (281,799 Views)

EA app Team
Updated to add controls for rotating objects to any angle Wink

While having an object selected:
Xbox: press LB/RB at the same time, then right stick to rotate.
PlayStation: press L1/R1 at the same time, then right stick to rotate.
Message 10 of 75 (281,788 Views)