Console Controller Feedback

by EA_Solaire

Original Post

Re: Console Controller Feedback

★★★★ Guide

Personally, I find the overall controls to be awkward then again it could be because I'm used to playing on PC. Clearly the game was designed with a keyboard and mouse in mind, I mean it was a PC game first, and in my opinion the PC interface and layout just doesn't translate well into controller usage. It makes me wish that the console versions had a unique UI designed specifically for a controller.

I miss not having hotkeys I can use to open various functions. For example on PC I can hit F2 for Build Mode, so why not allow hotkeys for consoles? Maybe use button combinations, like on Xbox you could hold B and hit up on the d-pad. Or even better, in my opinion, allow console users to customize their controls however they want. I mean if a player is unhappy with the default controller layout, then allowing them to customize it would almost completely eliminate those kinds of complaints. If nothing else, at least offer more controller layouts than just the one.

Message 11 of 734 (2,231 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@simsplayer818 Yes House inventory needs option to sell all/sellstack/delete all/delete stack or something along those lines. Also when I click on a seed it sometimes freezes for 10 seconds.
Message 12 of 734 (2,138 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice
@EA_Solaire Selling/deleting things in household inventory needs a sell/delete all stack option Ive read that having large inventory or house inventory is one thing that causes lag/slowdown/framrate issues so this is important. When you command a sim to do something and they just stand still for 20 seconds. or simulation lag i think its called needs improving. Controls are ok, there obviously designed for mouse/keyboard. option to get sims that you dont control into a relationship with each other in neigborhood stories would be nice. sometimes the option to lecture pet about something appears other times it dont, and even after the game says pet learned not to do thing, it sometimes still does it.

Message 13 of 734 (2,111 Views)

★ Guide
@xpinksims I found I’m able to move one side of an eave by pressing square and triangle at the same time to extend or drag in only one of them then confirming the selection by pressing square and triangle once again. It’s got to be pressed at the exact same time otherwise it won’t work 😵‍💫
Message 14 of 734 (1,747 Views)

Champion

I'm still finding that the controls are unbalanced and when I try to do something about that, the speeds now go up to 200% which I never noticed before and shouldn't be possible. I had to set them at 20% just to stop the cursor flying around so fast I could barely operate the menu, let alone the game...which I still unfortunately can't play due to the crashing problem on loading screens.

I hope this year brings a massive improvement to Console reliability and performance because I now haven't been able to play properly since adding MWS or at all since the patch to coincide with HSY.

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 15 of 734 (1,717 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@simsplayer818Same, mine crashes when I leave the lot more than once which especially happens joining the sim for High School two consecutive days. Also for several months they’ve been changing my graphics settings like mad, sometimes two or three times per session which results in everything blurred out but the sims themselves. Ugh.
The more we need additions for gameplay with every pack the more unstable it gets since we’re working with the console’s capabilities vs a pc that can be upgraded to handle more being added as well as CC. 🙄

Same problem with controls being an issue going through menus, freezing on pop ups (especially on the lame Social Bunny) and if the new UI is set to smaller text.

Message 16 of 734 (1,705 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@midtwilightblue  There's some threads here that might interest you if you haven't yet seen them

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-PS5-Graphics-lowered-after-the-Adjusting-Graphics-Screen/...

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Consoles/Open-XB-Crashing-during-travel-save-the-game-in-...

I really hope there's some focus on improving the console experience for us. 😞

Message 17 of 734 (1,697 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

I may be one of the few people who prefer playing The SIms with a controller, one thing I've always wondered is if you guys could add controller support for pc? That would be a gamechanger, of course I would have to rebuy all my packs but it would be worth it 100%.

Message 18 of 734 (1,666 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Well I just deleted my entire game and started again today just to be able to play since it's been about 6 months since I managed because of the excessive crashing. I finally managed to play when I started again from square one.

The first thing I noticed though was the controls again, especially in CAS. It keeps sticking. So if I switch outfit categories and want to select a make-up item or clothing item, the controls are stuck. I have to exit the category and go back into it to select the item.

So that's something that needs to improve. CAS ends up being very slow as a result. I used to notice it occasionally on Xbox One S, now too on Xbox Series S but it's got much worse since the last time I played before the HSY patch.

Edit: So I started counting how many times the controls get stuck in CAS. It happened 12 times today while adding about 7 new outfits for one Sim. It takes several attempts to exit the CAS category and then go back in again to select a new item. It's really not kind to RSI to be honest. Added to that, in build mode when switching to half grid snapping or free placement, it doesn't always register. The grid pops up but the option doesn't change, so again you're clicking away and the controls aren't responding. They are registering an action though so the controller is working, the game just isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

It really is such a poor experience on console. I wish I'd stayed on PC.

Message 19 of 734 (1,626 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie
@EA_Solaire I really want to have some of the same control options for roofing that PC has. Maybe by pressing square and holding, then pressing x, we could have the advanced roofing options that PC has? Or if you click on the right stick? I just really want to get the ability to curve roofs like how they can on PC. Also, the right arrow moving the selected sim to the right just feels super redundant, since we have the shoulder buttons.
Message 20 of 734 (1,541 Views)