Current Issue- Error code 22

by Myisha66

Original Post

Current Issue- Error code 22

★ Novice

Product: The Sims 4
Platform:Microsoft XBOX One
Which language are you playing the game in? English
How often does the bug occur? Every time (100%)
What is your current game version number? EP06:1.assets.live-ep06.130
What expansions, game packs, and stuff packs do you have installed? All except Star Wars
Steps: How can we find the bug ourselves? Play the game
What happens when the bug occurs? 1) Every time I try to load into my previous save or even a completely new one Error 22 keeps coming up and my game crashes when I try to save. 2) Task stay in the queue but the sim won’t do them 3) No one wears work uniforms until later in the advancements. (No specific level) 4) My sims don’t change outfits. They stay in one outfit or winter wear 5) University is glitched out to the max can’t even complete certain task. 6) I can barely travel without my game taking over 5 minutes to load up the worlds and then crashes before I can load to get to the location. 7) sims get in the shower fully clothed The laundry machine sometimes won’t wash clothes because they register as dry and used not dirty.
What do you expect to see? My game save or me able to start a new one. Sims in work uniform Sims changing outfits Me able to go to university without being stuck waiting for graduation or late to class that’s right there. No long time for loading screens. I want to travel without my game crashing. My sims have been stuck in quarantine too. Sims actually showering and not through their clothes. To be able to do laundry.
Have you installed any customization with the game, e.g. Custom Content or Mods? On console - never used.
Did this issue appear after a specific patch or change you made to your system? No

Bug

I just really want to play my game it’s literally impossible with all the freezing and now Error 22. I’m to t(e point where I’m going to want a full refund it’s really completely ridiculous that we paid all this money and I can’t even play my game. Please help because I’m over it at this point. 

Message 381 of 449 (1,072 Views)

Re: [CURRENT ISSUE] Save Error 22

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I too was having the Error 22 come up these last few days.  I play on Xbox One console also in case it matters to others.  I feel like there is a secondary indicator and perhaps a fix- at least so far. The reset and the clear the memory didn’t do the trick for me. What I discovered is that there were some abnormally large Lots that were being saved. The typical Lot was being saved at around 250 KB but these Lots were being saved at 4-6 MB... a staggering difference! And not due to the ‘stuff’ in the lot, not the size of the lot either.  As I was deleting all of my saved lots in the gallery I noticed there were a few of these crazy big Lots, and it was also where the game I was not able to save was being  played. I don’t know how long the abnormality of my saved Lot had been there before the error.  I had been able to play and save normally on a different save, and so I wanted to see what would happen if I put in one of these super-sized Lots in,  not even the Lot that I was playing on, sure enough it crashed on me. Obviously nothing scientific about my experience, but after checking my Lot storage size on the save  that I am now on,  and saving the lot a few times and getting normal file sizes, I think it’s worth taking a look at if any of the Lots that are being used in the files that keeps crashing are Super-sized, not just the ones you imported, as in my case it was both. It’s certainly connected to artwork/ pictures as others have mentioned,as these Lots were full.  

A tip while trying these ideas out is to make sure you don’t try to save on a file you aren’t willing to lose.  Use a new one. In my case a empty slot was created by the first of the error 22’s, I’m lucky that I tend to save each game I play on 2 separate saves, alternating so I lost about a day of progress.  The bad news is that I couldn’t even get into the Build mode without it crashing, so once it’s on your map, I’d say try to just download something as a replacement over the suspected Lot without entering build mode. 

This also addresses the root of the 22 error - it’s just too big, then causes the ‘memory to be full’. I’d be interested to know of anyone who has better technical knowledge of the Sims file saving, and if this big file size has been noted in others. I haven’t read about it, and looked a bit while trying to stop my Error 22. So EA and Sim team, what about these Super-Sized saves??  Good luck to all, hope this can help you at least be on the lookout for the problem files. 

Message 382 of 449 (1,039 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@CowsArrTasty A bug was introduced in the Nov 10th patch that caused father winter to duplicate infinitely. You can read the post here for it.  This bug could cause your save to fill and give you the error code 22 because your save is full.

Message 383 of 449 (995 Views)

Re: Current Issue- Error code 22

Hero (Retired)

@Myisha66 A bug was introduced in the Nov 10th patch that caused father winter to duplicate infinitely. You can read the post here for it.  This bug could cause your save to fill and give you the error code 22 because your save is full. 

If you can not save and are receiving error code 22 please read and do the troubleshooting here XB1.

Message 384 of 449 (973 Views)

Re: SIMS 4 WONT SAVE ERROR CODE 22

Champion

When this started after the December update, I cleared everything from my library, reinstalled, kept the library empty and created new saves. That eventually worked. So I purchased Dine Out and Snowy Escape.

Now it's doing it again and I can't play at all. I've followed every single fix but still getting the same problem. The library was empty when the issue reoccurred.

I've lost years worth of work with the last two summer updates and had only just got caught up again and now this!!! With 27 add-ons bought!!

Today I've power cycled my Xbox, reinstalled, cleared saves, followed your tips. Now what?

I don't work for EA. I'm a Volunteer.
+XP for helpful answers from fellow players.
Accept as Solution helps others find the answer.
Message 385 of 449 (954 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I had been following this thread for almost a full year with my game unplayable, until last month it is finally working again. Thank you @CowsArrTasty for your detailed post that convinced me to keep troubleshooting, and everyone else who offered information! 

First of all, I am playing on Xbox One, I have never downloaded anything from the public gallery, and never used any cheats. My Xbox has plenty of space available. When the error 22 first started in March 2020, I did all of the trouble shoots including power cycle, unplug, delete reserve space, delete game and reinstall, completely clear library, etc. None of those solutions worked. The only thing I was not willing to do was delete my lot and household because if that was necessary the game would not be worth fixing, haha!

Once Error 22 began, none of my games would save, and even without saving, just traveling to another lot would crash the game with a different error code. Forcing manual auto saves worked sometimes, and other times not, and I wasn't able to fully figure out why some were working and others weren't because I was running out of my precious saves to try and risk having them get deleted. I decided to start a brand new game with a new save, and immediately the game would not force autosave and crashed with error 22 on the first try. Every time Error 22 would appear, the dialogue box would suggest returning to the main menu. If I did use that button, I would be returned to the main menu but the audio of my household kept playing in the background, and the save I was previously on would be completely gone. However, if once Error 22 appeared I manually restarted the Xbox, then my save was still there when I rebooted, but still could not be saved. 

I only play one single household with a family that also owns 2 retail properties, and I usually keep all the save slots full with this household’s progress. However, I was a little (a lot) obsessive when it came to creating and keeping TONS of custom paintings and photographs on my sims walls on their home lot and business lots. I was pretty stuck on not losing my lot and years of progress. I removed ALL of the paintings and photographs. I probably only needed to remove the ones that were created by my sim, but I removed the build mode purchased ones too just to be safe. Then, I uploaded the lot and my household to my library, and deleted everything else from my library - which was basically just dev game content since I had no custom downloads in there. I then deleted all my saves, deleted the reserve space, deleted the game, shut down the xbox, unplugged, plugged in, turned on, re-installed sims, started a new game, and used the only 2 things in my library - my one lot and one household (no paintings) - to start a new game. And woot woot my game is working and saving! I’m avoiding paintings and photographs all together so far.

THEN, I remembered something from a few months before the Error 22 started, around Winter 2019… I was playing on one of the retail lots (which I called the Art Gallery, hence the obsessive amount of paintings), and placing paintings from my sim’s inventory to the lot walls. I received an Error message - I can’t remember the exact words/number, but it was something along the lines of “This lot has reached the maximum number of paintings and photographs. Maximum #.” I think it was 125. I clicked ok, deleted a bunch (maybe 30ish), and then placed the rest of the ones from inventory without a problem. I told myself that I would just keep gradually adding paintings until I got the error code again, then delete more, etc. (dumb move, should have known better, lol). When I went to this lot to DELETE the paintings last month, and was counting the number of deleted ones, it was over 300, and the warning message had never re-appeared. Then I remembered that while researching Error 22, some people had mentioned that the way custom paintings and photographs were coded as objects in the game changed when the Gallery was brought to consoles in January 2020. Is it possible that when they changed the way paintings were programmed, they forgot to re-program the error message that lets you know when you have too many of them? It would make sense on my timeline. Maybe not the problem for everyone but it certainly was for me. I will spare you my heartbreak over having to play without custom capture paintings, but I am happy to have my game working again!

I should also mention that last month my Xbox disk reader crashed. I was originally playing on disk base game with expansions purchased digitally, and now I’m fully on the downloaded versions. I really don’t think this had any effect, but thought I would mention it as a variable.

Sorry for such a long post but I hope it helps others! Tagging @PoptartJuniper 

Message 386 of 449 (833 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@jeremyizawesome The information I have is updated as I receive it in the marked post in this thread. Error Code 22, what it means and what you can do. You can subscribe to that post to get any updates I make on it.

A few issues have filled saves with the duplicating future cubes/clay/tablets, and recently Father Winter. 

A current help post is here for recent issues [Read First][Current Issues] Game Issues or Crashes Patch 1.37 (Jan 21 Update).

If your issues fall outside of this thread, or you can't find your issue in the current issues thread, please make a new post in the forum with as much information as possible or create a bug report in the bug forum.

Message 387 of 449 (804 Views)

★★ Novice

What happens if you save to the library?

Message 388 of 449 (705 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Xbox One Still Won’t Save After 07/23 Update!!

★★ Novice

Yes.. it’s really frustrating. It’s 2021 and I still cant play my game after buying every expansion pack and add on except for the unrealistic ones (ROM, Star Wars and Vampires) To be honest I really don’t think it’s anyone’s game in particular or specific thing like gallery content or anything as I know two people this happened to and they never use the gallery. It’s really just something on EA’s end and I really disheartening that they would leave all of us in disarray like this. Wish we could request refunds or do a class action case or something like that. This is completely ridiculous and unfair. They don’t even care at all. 

Message 389 of 449 (705 Views)

Re: Sims 4 Xbox One Still Won’t Save After 07/23 Update!!

★★★ Apprentice

Still having this issue almost a year later. What a joke. I have done everything possible, I've deleted all of my saved games, uninstalled & reinstalled more times than I can count, deleted everything from the gallery & everything else mentioned. This isn't a problem with us, this is a problem with EA & they've been ignoring this issue for far too long. They obviously don't know how to fix it because I can't see any other reason as to why a patch hasn't been released for it or a fix, I'm actually really disgusted with how this issue has been handled. My game is unplayable, has been for way too long & I consider The Sims 4 a waste of money, along with every expansion pack I've bought. I'd advise anybody lurking who's thinking of buying The Sims 4, don't bother, save your money.

Message 390 of 449 (702 Views)