Blurred views of San Myshuno

by maakux

Original Post

Blurred views of San Myshuno

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

This was mentioned by a user in another topic going over some issues with the game, but I wanted to get the opinions of the community on this one in particular.

The background of San Myshuno appears rather blurry. I would even say objects that are close to the camera are really blurred as well, so not necessarily just distant objects.

I have considered that this may just be a design element to help the player focus on the foreground, but I have noticed if you have the game camera looking through a window, from an apartment as an example, objects in the distance appear far more clearer than if you were to view those objects outside of the apartment.

I am running the game on the PS4, and for reasons stated above, I do not believe this may be due to settings with my TV and/or console.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I will provide a screen shot a little later as I have not had the chance to play the game today.

UPDATE (29/11/2017)

I have captured some views of San Myshuno from various points. Alternatively, you can view all the individual captures here and also the transitions. I was not able to upload the transitions here as it seems GIF formats are not accepted.

The 'before' images (game camera looking through apartment window) do not show the blurriness when compared to the 'after' images (game camera outside of the apartment) with exceptions to E1 and E2 which highlight a separate graphical issue.

I should also point out that the blurriness is a lot more pronounced at night.

The hyperlinked titles will directly open the image so they can be viewed at full resolution, which will help in seeing the blurriness.

A1 - Before (Click to view full resolution image - New page): 

A1 - Before

A2 - After (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

A2 - After

B1 - Before (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

B1 - Before

B2 - After (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

B2 - After

C1 - Before (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

C1 - Before

C2 - After (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

C2 - After

The next two captures below show the normal camera in use to demonstrate that the blurriness affects both cameras - the other being the Free Cam.

D1 - Before (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

D1 - Before

D2 - After (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

D2 - After

While the blurriness is still quite visible in these two captures below, I noticed that the shadow on the billboard is not rendered until you are close enough.

E1 - Before (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

E1 - Before

E2 - After (Click to view full resolution image - New page):

E2 - After

UPDATE 2 (29/11/2017):

The blurriness will also appear when viewing with cuttaway walls from the apartment without looking through the window.

UPDATE 3 (12/12/2017):

I have asked The Sims subreddit community to chime in and help with clarifying whether or not this is a bug.

Message 1 of 4 (886 Views)

Re: Blurred views of San Myshuno

★★★ Guide

You're right in that the windows do make the image look more clear. I have no idea if that's intended or not though.  Maybe if you post this on the sims reddit page you could get someone to upload some comparison shots from the pc. 

Message 2 of 4 (841 Views)

★ Guide

@vyvexthorne That is a very good shout. I will do that as soon as I am finished with work today.

Message 3 of 4 (834 Views)

★ Guide

After finally finding time, I have reached out to The Sims subreddit to help us in clarifying whether or not this is a bug by asking them to compare my screenshots with the PC version of the game.

Message 4 of 4 (715 Views)