F1 22 PC VR jittering, freezing screens and crashing

by Skoftig

Original Post

Re: F1 22 PC VR jittering, freezing screens and crashing

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

Any hope of getting this to run smooth on Quest 2 without the insane amount of jittering. Everything looks great minus the constant head movements that makes it unplayable. I've tried turning everything to the lowest setting and that doesn't fix it.

Would be a simple fix to have the option to turn off head movement.

Message 321 of 517 (1,443 Views)

★★ Novice

I've switched to OpenComposite OpenXR branch to bypass SteamVR and its been flawless..

1. Download the launcher
  2. Run it and select F1 22 to use OpenComposite
  3. Download the openvr_api.dll for x64 and rename your F1 22 version, and put this one in its place. Should be in your install location, such as \SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\F1 22\
  4. Run F1 22 from steam as you usually would. Did an entire race weekend last night and its far smoother than it ever has been before using Steam VR. 

For context, i'm running a 3070 and 5800X not OC'd with an Oculus Quest 2 via link cable.

I'm running in high VR settings and its beautiful!

Message 322 of 517 (1,416 Views)

★ Guide

tried latest version of OpenComposite with latest F1 22 update (1.07) and the jittering is still there.

Message 323 of 517 (1,390 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Midlandmonkey Would be good for other users to know the resolution you used (the one displayed in the VR settings menu in the game) the refresh rate and if anything in Oculus Debug mode was changed e.g. ASW
Message 324 of 517 (1,311 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
@Stampede_251 Can you describe the jittering you are getting. Is it constantly jittering or is it one off freezes every few corners? Is your sound also affected by the jitter?

I experienced some freezes approx 0.5 seconds long every 30 seconds or so. I figured out was related to my PC being in a balanced energy mode power plan and parking some of the CPU cores. I think the game is potentially sensitive to cores being parked when there's reduced thread activity.

In my case I'm on an Alderlak CPU on Windows 10, so I use Process Lasso which has a custom power mode which stops core parking. When this power mode was enabled, the freezing stopped. Alternatively, there are other apps such as QuickCPU you can use to keep unpark CPU cores. Hopefully this helps someone out, even if it doesn't fix your issue.
Message 325 of 517 (1,294 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
@HamVR For me it is an permanent jitteting if you look around. Permanetly.
Since the update 1.07. My Game crashes inkluding an bluescreen.
Before the update, it was inly the jitter Problem. After update the problem is more worse than before.
Message 326 of 517 (1,221 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

@HamVRit's the same stuttering many others have described in this thread, severe stuttering when moving your head around at all times. it's not related to parked cores, and high performance energy settings don't resolve it

Message 327 of 517 (1,204 Views)

★ Guide
@Silvercrow1983 it's so rushed that even the VR head position is wrong. it's behind the pilot's body's shoulders...
Message 328 of 517 (1,127 Views)

★★★★ Novice

1.07 doesn't fix the 30 minutes crash issue. 

How the OpenComposite works?

Where I have to install the OpenXR files?

Where I have to put the launcher?

If I run the launcher I don't see any option to select F122 exe file. Only switch between steamvr and opencomposite. 

Thank you

Message 329 of 517 (1,095 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

@faldo79Rregarding the 30 minute crash did you try setting your texture streaming setting to low in game, as I've read earlier in the thread this fixed crashes for some users (I've alway had it low for performance reasons). I've not tried OpenXR method yet myself, so I can't comment on that.

@Stampede_251 oh OK. For reference for anyone else reading this who is getting intermittent freezes (and not the constant stutters when looking around) In my previous post I'm not referring to the standard Windows builtin 'Performance' setting you can select from the Windows Power Plan menu. You either have to make changes to your system registry or install 3rd party software to enable this power plan mode to prevent parked cores. This for me stopped intermittent VR freezes on an Intel 12900k on Windows 10.windows.

Message 330 of 517 (1,073 Views)

ea-play-promo-splash

What's EA Play?

New name, new look, same great benefits: EA Access and Origin Access are now EA Play.

Get more info on the change here.

ea-help-promo-3

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View more on EA Help