Re: Best strategy to collect cards?

by patdk75

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Best strategy to collect cards?

★★ Novice

So, I'm pretty new to this game and have been playing it a lot since about a week before Christmas. I try to use my ticket boosts when they're available and I make sure I do the quests so that I never get full and miss out on any. I also do the event every day so I can get the pack at the end of each week. However, I don't really know how to go about collecting cards in this game. Specifically, I really like Chompzilla and Gargantugar decks, and I don't know how I should try and get the cards for either, especially since Gargantugar decks have such a high legendary card count. I've considered doing hero-specific packs, since some of the best Gargantugar decks have the beastly theme, and similarly I just like Chompzilla, but I wasn't sure if it would be better to get hero-specific packs or just buy packs for the regular price. I've included some screenshots of my collection for the relevant themes (Hearty and Beastly for The Smash, and Solar and Mega-grow for Chompzilla). I also only have three gargologists at the moment, but I'll be acquiring a fourth one. Any advice in this regard would be great!

Screenshot_20180115-161629.pngScreenshot_20180115-161722.pngScreenshot_20180115-161751.pngScreenshot_20180115-161813.png

Message 1 of 6 (17,080 Views)

Accepted Solution

★ Pro

@Faces_of_Intent 

I recommend to buy the normal packs, ''Premium Pack, Galactic Pack and Colossal Pack''.

Once I decided to buy a specific pack of Knuckle Grass, that costs 2000,  it was the biggest disappointment I've had, no legendary, few super rare,  and the same number of useless cards as a pack of 1000. it is really preferable to buy the 1000 pack. 

Premium pack can give you even a hero, if you are very lucky. 

Of course they give you all the cards of all heroes (both plants/zombies) in a disorderly manner, but you save much more than that expensive pack of 2000 that gives you the same amount, only that of a specific hero...

Daily Quests/Heroes Quests

Ads

Advancing in the league

And... that's all

the daily challenges give you the event card of the week, and if you complete all challenges they give you a one pack (100). 

View in thread

Message 3 of 6 (17,975 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Novice
To be honest there isn't a lot of ways to get new cards. Either buy/save gems and buy packs or get weekly event cards and recycle them for cards you need. Very good idea to focus hero's you have first. Try to build a maim deck for both plants and zombies.
Message 2 of 6 (17,032 Views)

★ Pro

@Faces_of_Intent 

I recommend to buy the normal packs, ''Premium Pack, Galactic Pack and Colossal Pack''.

Once I decided to buy a specific pack of Knuckle Grass, that costs 2000,  it was the biggest disappointment I've had, no legendary, few super rare,  and the same number of useless cards as a pack of 1000. it is really preferable to buy the 1000 pack. 

Premium pack can give you even a hero, if you are very lucky. 

Of course they give you all the cards of all heroes (both plants/zombies) in a disorderly manner, but you save much more than that expensive pack of 2000 that gives you the same amount, only that of a specific hero...

Daily Quests/Heroes Quests

Ads

Advancing in the league

And... that's all

the daily challenges give you the event card of the week, and if you complete all challenges they give you a one pack (100). 

Message 3 of 6 (17,976 Views)

★★ Pro
Exactly what the smart fellow above said. I am so glad you decided to ask the forum before wasting your hard earned gems on a hero specific pack(s).
I have also been fooled by the draw of getting the cards just for the heroes that you have. But remember, that is temporary. Like @BlazinsZ said, every once in a while, you get super lucky and get a legendary and a new hero in a premium pack. I wish that every new player gets to experience that moment even once.
Also, as far as getting your fourth gargologist, that's smart and since we just got her for event, you know that crafting is the only way to get her.
But other cards, you should be aware of what is coming up for events that we aquire weekly, and those tou can save your sparks for things that you want or need.
If you ever decide to spend a few dollars, the best bet is to wait until you get an offer from ea. Usually when you move on to a new league they used to have a promo for extra packs if you get this much etc.....as someone who has spent real coin, some of the bonuses are pretty good, especially when you consider that you were planning on getting some anyways. And the deals are not for 50+ and all that, there's some decent offers.
But as free to play, if you are able to watch the ads, I have been told that it's around a 10+1 pack (1000 gems) a week, which is not bad.
Message 4 of 6 (16,983 Views)

★★ Novice

I figured it wouldn't hurt to get another opinion, since I'm not too familiar with it all. Otherwise, I do all the things that you all have recommended: quests, watching ads, making sure I use ticket boosts. I'm not exactly free to play, I spent 20$ to get some gems to use for opening Premium and Galactic packs, and overall it was a pretty decent haul. As a matter of fact, part of what tempted me to spend the money in the first place was because my first 10+1 pack got me Rose and Spudow, and I've since added Nightcap to my collection as well, all just by opening packs. Maybe one day I'll open a zombie hero! Hopefully my collection will grow at a pretty steady pace, I love the idea of the weekly events, getting free cards is great, so is being able to get sparks from any extra copies. Thanks again for the advice, hopefully I'll be able to climb to diamond this season instead of just gold.

Message 5 of 6 (16,973 Views)

★★ Pro
Another piece of advice from someone who loves to learn the hard way....if you do craft cards, like I said before, make sure that it's not a card you may be getting in a month from event or whatever, and I have always been wary of crafting a fourth card to complete a set because I have on at least three separate occasions, pulled the same card that I crafted, only to have to recycle it for basically peanuts in comparison to how much we pay.
And the "free to play" label is kinda hard to lump every single player in one of two categories.
The pay to win players in my opinion, are those who buy the event cards only available for cash and use them for an advantage over players who don't have access to the cards.
Spending a few bucks to support a game you enjoy, and/or to just get a few packs is not the same thing to me
Message 6 of 6 (16,969 Views)