Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Storms Survivability needs changed for Grandmaster 1+

by Sekurity

Original Post

Re: Storms Survivability needs changed for Grandmaster 1+

★★★ Newbie

hey im 488 currently my self but noticed with a chain of one flying dash then on hover dash followed by another flying dash(barrel roll blink) we shouldnt get hit by tites balls or the escari missles. so i actauly dont mind getting one hit by titans when its my fault for not dodging them most of the time. id prefer better audio clues so i dont have to look at him when like you said Trash is shooting at me and it is DESTROYING ME!. also at gear 488 Gm2 is simply an excercise in extreme spongiesness it seams though im going to say thats based on not having a perfectly optimized inscription set.
also a buff to windwall seems neccesary when just about any monsters/outlaws/scar and destroy the wall even when its epic tier in 3 dmg instances period

Message 61 of 98 (281 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@Sekurity wrote:
@Tastix,
I have a few components with both +% to armor and +% to shields on my purple components. Also, if you are playing on anything below grandmaster 1, you only have access to 6 masterwork weapons. All masterwork items are unlocked at Grandmaster1+. I'm going back through the news to see which dev stated this, Ill let you know.
So your suggestion is to get these masterwork components that are locked behind grandmaster 1, yet you cant get geared unless you play grandmaster 1. See the issue here?

It needs to be changed everywhere, i'm so sick of rezzing Storms in every mission, over and over something needs to be done armor wise.. Even if they nerf their damage slightly to compensate the Armor buff, that goes for Interceptors as well although less so..

Interceptors need a complete overhaul imo but there are way worse issues at this time..

Message 62 of 98 (278 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

sadly ALL of these hinges on a loot overhaul. inscriptions are completely random and the odds of you getting perfect rolls or even usable ones are slim at best, i agree you shouldnt be getting 1 shot but at the same time its damage output is far higher than anyone else. Everything is sorta in flux right now..

Message 63 of 98 (271 Views)

★ Apprentice

Survivability of storm Pre-GM: Kill them before they get a chance to fire.  Seriously I can hover high in the air and AoE them before they even touch my shield and do great damage while doing so.  If the shield does get close to going down, fly to a safe location.

Survivability of storm GM: Know where cover is, don't expect to be out of cover for long periods of time.  In some boss fights there is an area where you can hover and easily dodge shots or get behind cover while still hovering if you hover at the right height or just drop down into cover.  As above, if the shield is close to going down then get behind cover.

As a storm I don't die more often than anyone else.  On average I would say colossus is the only javelin who sometimes has more survivability than me.  I can also do a lot of damage while surviving.

Message 64 of 98 (259 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

I play all the javelins and even with 400 gear score (I don't really care about gear score though) I don't have 12+ health bars like you assumed. My Interceptor only has 5. My Ranger I think around 3 to 5 (I can't really recall this as I mostly play Interceptor). I still get one shot by the Titan's fireball and the ring of fire that it releases. However when I timed my jumps and my dodges I survive pretty well.

The only class i find that can actually take some hits would be Colossus with it's shield. The rest just gets one shot. I don't have any masterwork components so I guess that is the reason why. I do believe however when I get masterworks components, the survivability would be greater.

Message 65 of 98 (255 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

@dmplus4cs wrote:

I play all the javelins and even with 400 gear score (I don't really care about gear score though) I don't have 12+ health bars like you assumed. My Interceptor only has 5. My Ranger I think around 3 to 5 (I can't really recall this as I mostly play Interceptor). I still get one shot by the Titan's fireball and the ring of fire that it releases. However when I timed my jumps and my dodges I survive pretty well.

The only class i find that can actually take some hits would be Colossus with it's shield. The rest just gets one shot. I don't have any masterwork components so I guess that is the reason why. I do believe however when I get masterworks components, the survivability would be greater.

Slightly off topic, but keep an eye out for an interceptor MW item, that boosts your damage and also reduces damage you take.  I feel it's 100% needed in GM3, so godly in GM1

Message 66 of 98 (246 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Yeah, windwall cannot withstand anything in GM1+. Gets destroyed by whatever unit shooting at it, it isn't even worth the cast time.

They should buff it or change it to take a percentage of your own health/shield/armor, so that it would scale with your component masterworks. That would avoid having an overpowered windwall before GM1, and an underpowered one after.

Regarding the overall sustainability, Storm is all about evading stuff. Even at 490, a homing fire missile from any Titan will bring me to 5% hp, I think they're simply doing a percent-based damage. But even though I'm always avoiding them the same way (dashing), sometimes it's enough, sometimes I'm still being hit. And when you're hit as Storm, that sucks as it means no PV + overheating so you basically have to AFK for 10 seconds before even trying to show yourself again.

Message 67 of 98 (234 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Nice. Looking forward to it!

Message 68 of 98 (225 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

@joltexcel wrote:

hey im 488 currently my self but noticed with a chain of one flying dash then on hover dash followed by another flying dash(barrel roll blink) we shouldnt get hit by tites balls or the escari missles

also a buff to windwall seems neccesary when just about any monsters/outlaws/scar and destroy the wall even when its epic tier in 3 dmg instances period

The dodging system is, well, dodgy anyway. You can see from the bullet traces that the enemies bullets home in on you and hit behind walls. This coupled with the fact that they also hit THROUGH walls, can target you while you're well beyond their LoS so they can instantly hit you when you come out, and even hit through walls (plus their propensity for hive-mind tactics where literally every mob from across the map in LoS will focus you down even when other players are much closer to them), makes some fights seriously frustrating. This is not a problem for Storm however. It's a problem for the Interceptor specifically, and partially for Ranger and Colossus too.

I quit playing Storm precisely because of how ridiculously easy and overpowered it is. Because a Storm doesn't need to be in the middle of the fight, they can just ignore usual battlefield tactics and fight half a mile off while delivering insane amounts of AoE damage. Their warping dodge is the best dodge ability in the game with its speed and range, allowing you to evade more easily than with any other class. Of course the fact that they can just hover behind walls and poles and on ceilings also means they don't need to have a fraction of the situational awareness of other classes. Meaning that where with any other class you need a massive amount of maneuvering around, always knowing how many enemies circled or teleported behind you this time and being in the thick of combat, AND dealing with vertical levels at the same time... as a Storm your tactic is literally just strafing right, pressing 1-2, and strafing back left behind cover, while looking down at an a frag buffet of a battlefield from above and far away. And let's not forget their ultimate, which thanks to their comboing abilities loads 4x as fast as other classes ultimates, and thanks to being its own primer AND detonator, is also the only ultimate still viable as more than just +1 life even in GM1 / 2.

My point? If anything, Storm needs even more nerfing. These problems here? They are general issues with the game. And every single other class suffers a hundred more times of these issues than Storm does.

Message 69 of 98 (214 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

I witness this type of difference all the time. Ive gotten to a place now where I'm pretty safe in GM1. I play interceptor with a gear score of around 480 or so. Anyway, i constantly experience one shots out of nowhere and it will be attacks that DIDN"T one shot me during the last run. For example, most of the time I can melee an enemy colossus for one or two hits and get out. Now, I've been hit dozens of times but him when he turns and takes a swing at me. Most of the time it only takes a quarter of my shields off, but every now and then it's a one shot. Same with snipers. Same with turrents. The damage tuning in this game is just all over the place. But I love the game so I don't care Standard smile

Message 70 of 98 (198 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help