Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Storms Survivability needs changed for Grandmaster 1+

by Sekurity

Original Post

Re: Storms Survivability needs changed for Grandmaster 1+

★ Apprentice
@Mentalfrozen ,
I have no doubt that once I get 4 MW components, it will get better. Doing GM1 isn't undoable right now, it's just annoying because going from normal to hard was a nice ramp up. It wasn't anything major. But going from hard to GM1, it's feels like they missed a difficulty level in between hard and GM1.
Difficulty should be gradual increase. Not what it is now. Again, I'm not sure if it's an overall damage tuning to the GM levels or just a small increase to defenses of the Storm.
Message 31 of 100 (685 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

It is doable, it just sucks, I do believe the numbers are not tuned correctly as I have a rather large post addressing the issue. It also stinks that the components and spells ONLY drop out of GM1, so you have to do it to progress.

Message 32 of 100 (682 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Mentalfrozen,
Exactly. It is doable, you just have to play fulltime defensive which at that point, you just hinder the group. You have to gear up for something you can't gear up for because it's stuck behind a difficulty that is too rough for the Storm because you aren't geared. The more you know Standard smile

Message 33 of 100 (679 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice

Their shield scaling when hovering needs a major rework but that is about it. The bonus when hovering needs to be higher to reflect the damage boost enemies have in Stronghold content. I've been farming GM1+ Strongholds for a few days & even though I am geared considerably well at this point, the shields still fall way too quickly to play the class as it should be played. It is only an issue in Strongholds as GM1+ freeplay, the mobs are noticeably weaker & the shields, when hovering, hold up longer as they should. Makes it difficult to fully utilize an Avenging Herald build as you need to be hovering for the 200% bonus.

Message 34 of 100 (673 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

@Sekurity wrote:
Thank you @Slippery_n1p , that was my exact point. If you are stacking pure defensive and using ice to freeze targets and you are still getting shredded, there is something wrong.

I admit that I’m not actually playing Storm, let alone on GM1. I’d love to, but unfortunately I won’t be able to play until Friday at best. However, I have played Mass Effect, on which Anthem combat is based, and what you’re describing sounds about right for how I would expect GM/Platinum to feel. Your survivability is supposed to be based on killing enemies faster than they kill you, and picking up health if you’re close enough. For the Storm, the best strategy is to not get shot at in the first place.

I mean, this is the endgame. You’re saying Hard to GM1 should be the same kind of step up as Normal to Hard. Thing is, you’re already past Hard in less than a week of playing. It sounds like you want them to introduce thirty tiers of GM where people can gradually gear up and keep compensating for lack of teamplay with overpowered gear. I’m not sure that really is a feasible solution in the long run. They’d have to add a few hundred tiers of GM at this rate just to keep the game going for a few years.

It feels like hitting a brick wall because you’re both 1) lacking gear and 2) playing with randoms. I’m pretty sure that by the time you start doing GM content, they expect you to find at least three friends you can coordinate with. Part of the game’s learning curve is figuring out how to work effectively with other people, not just how to minmax your own javelin.

And again, I don’t know the specifics of the current balance situation. Maybe the exact damage numbers need slight adjustments, and as others have noted, there may be something weird going on with the scaling when you have people under 30 participating. But my main point is, I’m 99% sure that by design, GM tiers are gated behind learning to coordinate as a team, not just grinding for gear that can bypass the necessity for that.

To my earlier point, again, I can’t really comment on build specifics without seeing what kind of gear stats and bonuses are available to you, but when I build my Storm I expect I’ll be building either for pure support and crowd control, or for burst damage. I will primarily pay attention to what the Colossus is doing, and try to put area effects around the Colossus to prime, detonate, or crowd control as appropriate, trying to avoid stealing aggro unless I’m about to detonate a combo that will finish off those enemies before they can shoot me. I will expect to go down every once in a while, and will position myself to make it reasonably easy for the Ranger or the Interceptor to revive me. If the situation is such that I cannot afford to go down, I will use the ultimate to stay alive for a bit longer and figure out what to do next.

I would also assume the enemies should have a harder time hitting you when you’re moving at maximum speed (flying/sprinting), and I think they should do less damage to you as well while you’re doing that.

I mean, all of this might end up being too much for most people, and they may end up nerfing GM1-3 and adding thirty more tiers, or perhaps add a “ramp” of difficulties leading up to GM where you can grind for some weaker tier Masterworks or higher end Epics, for people for whom working as a team is absolutely not an option. But I feel like this is just another example of a feature where I would hope the players take the time to understand how the game is actually meant to play, before asking that they drop the current game design and make some sort of Destinyablo clone just because that’s the kind of progression people are expecting, coming from other games. If nothing else, because there are tons of clones of Destiny and Diablo out there, and there will certainly be even more in the coming years, but there is only one Anthem.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 35 of 100 (670 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

My current gripe with storm in general is that outside of Ice Storm for Blast Seal, and Burning Orb or Glacial Spear for Focus Seal, the other abilities kind of suck. Ice Storm is just way better at CC than anything else that is available and it also primes, which makes it incredibly useful in a group. Burning orb does big damage in an AOE and is a detonator which again, makes it exceptionally useful.

Glacial Spear is a low CD strong single target detonator, and it's only draw back is the medium range limitation. All of the shock spells we have are single use, somewhat long CD spells that do not put out more damage than Burning Orb or Glacial Spear. You could say use a large amount of Speed inscriptions to lower the CD's, but you could just as easily switch that to damage for the other two and do better.

As to your problem with GM1, I strongly urge you to do more hard strongholds until you get the Avenging Herald Heavy Pistol and start using that, it is the gateway into GM1. It shouldn't be the only way in comfortably, but that is how it is right now.

I never felt like I had to stack full defensively, and I always felt like I contributed with Combo's and damage with Burning Orb when I made the move to GM1, but staying alive does require heavy use of cover and peaking around pillars early on.

Message 36 of 100 (654 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@Tastix wrote:

You're under geared still. This will start to change once you get masterwork components. The Shield and Armor boost on Masterwork components is insane. 

The game advises to have a score of 300 for GM1. Level 36 Epics bring you up to 400.

And to get MW components you need to do GM1 from what I understand.

Message 37 of 100 (618 Views)

★★★★ Guide

IMHO: Grandmaster should be near-impossible to complete.  It takes many tries with the best equipment and even then, being lucky/Fates On Your Side needed to complete.

When people crank things up to the hardest "death-wish level" and then complain it is too hard to complete...something is broken with the players attitudes!

Oh, wait...are we still in the "special snowflake era" where everyone gets a prize...in gaming??!!  If so, nevermind.

TQQdles™

Message 38 of 100 (579 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

@DolnorNumbwit wrote:

IMHO: Grandmaster should be near-impossible to complete.  It takes many tries with the best equipment and even then, being lucky/Fates On Your Side needed to complete.

When people crank things up to the hardest "death-wish level" and then complain it is too hard to complete...something is broken with the players attitudes!

Oh, wait...are we still in the "special snowflake era" where everyone gets a prize...in gaming??!!  If so, nevermind.

TQQdles™

Thank you for sharing your toxic elitist interpretation which is not supported by any facts.

Fact is, the game currently recommends a gear score of 300 for GM1, which totally breaks your logic about best gear whatsoever.

For GM3 I might share your opinion. For GM1 certainly not, neither does the game description.

Message 39 of 100 (563 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

GM1 isn't even that hard, and this coming from someone who doesn't even have MW components yet. Yeah does my playstyle have to be adjusted, of course. But at the end of the day it's not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. I just finished a SH with my fresh lvl30 buddy. Just the two of us with two randoms. No wipes, a few revives here and there, and a completion. I like that it's difficult, or as some of you say tedious. I'm tired of games with "challenging endgame" but when you get there it's nothing special. Thank you Bioware for creating a system that actually challenges the players and forces them to adjust outside of float around and kill everything without trying.

Message 40 of 100 (558 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help