Help us improve Answers HQ! Take Survey No, Thanks

Re: Storms Survivability needs changed for Grandmaster 1+

by Tastix

Original Post

Storms Survivability needs changed for Grandmaster 1+

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

Good morning,

Long story short, I was gear score 417ish with 2 epic weapons, all 36 components that give shields and armor, plus the 35% resist to elemental damage.

I decided to go into my first grandmaster 1 freeplay with a group comprising of each javelin and I was getting absolutely shredded by trash mobs while using Ice abilities to freeze them, using windwall, hovering for the bonus shields, and evading like you're supposed to. The other javelins seemed to be doing OK, they were getting hurt too, but nothing like how I was getting chunked by simple trash mobs.

The biggest issue though is one of the world events we had to kill a Titan. Now again, I was geared and had high elemental resists. The titan did that move where he slams the ground and pulls up those seeking fireballs, i misjudged the distance and evaded early, and I got 1 shotted from full shields and health. If I'm "geared" enough for Grandmaster 1, then I shouldn't be getting 1 shotted by secondary moves from a boss. Sure if I was standing right under him while he did a slam, then of course I would understand that. But getting 1 shot from an elemental attack while in the javelin that has the highest elemental resist (minus the secondary bonus resists you can get from the rolls on compents,)  that should not happen.

I'm not sure this is just a boss tuning issue because again, it seems like the storms get shredded by trashmobs in Grandmaster 1 as well as bosses, but something needs to be done. If I'm getting 1 shot in grandmaster 1's by a minor ability, then clearly there is something wrong and I should just play on Grandmaster 3 if I'm already getting 1 shot on Grandmaster 1.

Message 1 of 98 (3,455 Views)

★★★ Apprentice
I play Colossus and went into GM1 with 400 score. It's really bad scaling, especially the damage of mobs and bosses.

I can take a few shots of normal mobs, but any hunter, sniper or flamethrower big dude absolute melts your HP. Bosses have aweful 1-2 shot mechanics even on a Colossus. You spend 90% of the time running from corner to corner.

For GM1 the mob HP needs to go down by 25%, and their damage by 50%. This is my feeling after around 10 missions.

I did all my quests in hard mode and it was enjoyable. But GM1 is just pure cheese.
Message 2 of 98 (3,439 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

There's also the fact that the Storm is a glasscannon javelin. You aren't supposed to be taking high amounts of damage. Yes I read what you said and I agree that you shouldn't be getting oneshot. But again the storm isn't designed to be taking a beating. None of the javelins are.

Message 3 of 98 (3,416 Views)

★ Apprentice
I understand that whole "glass cannon" aspect of things. I started my MMORPG carrier with Everquest and pretty much played all others that have come after. So I have decent perspective on class kits and design. But there is something wrong as opposed to this just being another glass cannon class.

You are right when you say Storms aren't supposed to take "high amounts of damage." When I'm getting sprayed by trash mobs and them tagging me with literally 3 bullets and my shields are out, there is an issue.

I also agree with your statement about None of the javelins are meant to take damage, but when all the other javelins have 12+ health bars and the very minimum as well as shields, and the Storm gets I believe 6 health bars and I couldn't tell you about the shields because they get a bonus while hovering and I don't know what that bonus is, there is still an issue.
If my health and shields is half of what everyone else is, I should do 50% more damage than all other javelins, I can assure you, Storms are powerful at clearing trash at early game, but in GM1+, you are spending most of your time regaining shields.
Message 4 of 98 (3,405 Views)

★ Apprentice
@RoamanXO,
It could be an overall tuning of damage rather than strictly a Storm tuning. As stated earlier, the other people I was playing with were getting hurt, but nothing like how I was.

With the different javelins, you would think the collossus would be up in the thick of it taking damage, the Interceptor would be evading and jumping around like a ninja in melee, the ranger doing mid range, and the Storm hanging back in the air and lobbing elements.
In my experiences, every single class HAS TO play like a storm and stay up on top of things from afar and regain shields. That should not be "working as intended."
Message 5 of 98 (3,399 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Was it a premade group where you were trying to coordinate your loadouts and actions, or was it a random group of four people playing solo together?

I haven’t player early access, but from what I understand, Grandmaster difficulties are basically the equivalent of Mass Effect’s Platinum/Nightmare mode and beyond. It’s supposed to be kinda unforgiving. You’re supposed to die from one or two shots unless you dodge perfectly, and you’re supposed to work with your team in a coordinated fashion to clear stuff and not die.

As such, it will also require very different playstyles from what you can get away with in the easier game modes. Your builds should be optimized for specific roles that complement each other, and you should understand your role and be familiar with how to play it. On Grandmaster, even trash mobs probably require co-operation from at least two players to take down.

Storm likely becomes more of a support role, where your job is to watch your close range players (Colossus, Interceptor) and give them primers and support they need. You don’t ever want to be the focus of enemy attention unless the enemy is about to die a split second later. Because if they notice you present a threat... you’re up in the air, everything has line of fire to you, and you’re going down.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 6 of 98 (3,335 Views)
Highlighted

★★★★ Novice

You're under geared still. This will start to change once you get masterwork components. The Shield and Armor boost on Masterwork components is insane. 

Message 7 of 98 (3,322 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion

Also,

@Sekurity wrote:

Good morning,

Long story short, I was gear score 417ish with 2 epic weapons, all 36 components that give shields and armor, plus the 35% resist to elemental damage.

^ 99% sure that’s a wrong approach. You shouldn’t be looking at it like, “if I grind for gear with high enough power level, it should cancel out the difficulty increase and make GM1 feel like Easy. Your gear is supposed to be optimized for your role. On GM3 you will likely want even your inscriptions to have synergy with each other, though GM1 is probably more forgiving in that regard. But you don’t want components that stack survivability on Storm, since survivability is not remotely your role.

You want to stack components that make you more efficient at what you do. Like, think ridiculously more efficient than you could ever imagine Storm could be. Dramatic cooldown decreases, stacking damage buffs, priming duration, etc. If you stack everything towards survivability, all you’re going to achieve is going from “anything kills me with one shot” to “some trash mobs might take two shots to kill me,” at the cost of forfeiting being actually useful as part of the team, because your output is still at the baseline that’s barely sufficient for Hard.

Heroes and Champions are community members recognized for being helpful, constructive, and positive. More info here.

We don’t work for EA. Our opinions are our own.
Message 8 of 98 (3,311 Views)

★ Guide

Nowhere near geared enough and be awhile before gm difficulty not a pain with pugs even if you were geared. 

Message 9 of 98 (3,295 Views)

★★★★ Novice

Storm is my main class and yes, it does need some buffs here and there. Not to survivability though.

It is supposed to be the light armor class. So survivability being low would be fine, if it had the damage to justify it. 

Message 10 of 98 (3,279 Views)

fifa-18-promo-circle

Having trouble connecting to your game?

Try these steps first to clear up any problems you may have when connecting to an EA game.

Troubleshoot and test your connection

all-ea-help-promo

Forget your EA Account ID or password?

Reset, update, or link your account information.

View More on EA Help