Re: Spore, BAD_DATA

by d077i

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Spore, BAD_DATA

★★★ Novice

Hi, I downloaded Spore off the Origin Site and have the same problem as others with the BAD_DATA appearing on as all the names on my planets. I Have tries the fix you have mention previously by going into my programs file and EA games but Spore does not appear here. I'm assuming this is because I downloaded rather than buying a disc and installing that way. Can you please direct me how to fix this issue as I find I can not play the game due to this error.

Thanks

Lynn

Message 1 of 18 (23,273 Views)

Accepted Solution

★★★ Novice

Hi again, I have done some more digging and found the following solution. Whicj I have tried and it works.

Re: bad_data

Hello mattiboy99,

This error usually occurs when the NameGeneration Package File is missing from the local folder EN-GB

1. Go to your installation directory (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SPORE)
2. Open the EN-US folder in Data/Locale
5. Find the file named NameGenerator and copy it
6. In the Locale folder, find the folder called EN-GB and paste that file there - you might notice it was missing

Welcome! Take the time to discover the community by visiting our Answer HQ Announcements section

View in thread

Message 4 of 18 (25,362 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

Did you download it off steam? If so, perhaps the game files are in your steamapps folder.

Message 2 of 18 (23,238 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi, thanks for getting nack to me so quick. Unfortunately, no, I didn't download from ;Steam', I downloaded from the Origin Store. I await further instructions.

Kinds regards

Lynn

Message 3 of 18 (23,234 Views)

★★★ Novice

Hi again, I have done some more digging and found the following solution. Whicj I have tried and it works.

Re: bad_data

Hello mattiboy99,

This error usually occurs when the NameGeneration Package File is missing from the local folder EN-GB

1. Go to your installation directory (typically C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\SPORE)
2. Open the EN-US folder in Data/Locale
5. Find the file named NameGenerator and copy it
6. In the Locale folder, find the folder called EN-GB and paste that file there - you might notice it was missing

Welcome! Take the time to discover the community by visiting our Answer HQ Announcements section
Message 4 of 18 (25,363 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Guide

I'm having a massive problem with this, I installed SPORE on Origin, and I am also getting the BAD_DATA glitch, unlike others however, I only have ONE file located in the Locale folder called en-gb, there is no other language file, just this file, no en-us..... ect. 

The original file inside en-gb is there, NameGeneration.Package you're supposed to put it in there, but mine was already manually set there by Origin, but I am STILL getting this BAD_DATA glitch.

I have found another option to fix it, but in Windows 7, you CANNOT edit target, In Spore Shortcut,, Properties, Target and add: -locale:en-us

Oh, and also where my SPORE is saved, C:\Program Files(86x)\Electronic Arts, there is NOTHING else in that folder other than just "Spore" I click it, leads me to "Data" Click that, leads me to Locale, click that, leads me to en-gb, and just click that, the NameGeneration package is there, there are no other folders in there whatsoever. 

Help me please, none of the solutions are working for me. 

Edit: Nevermind, apparently if you install it in Origin the games are located else where, in the Origin Games folder, that is where they're all done, problem fixed. 

Message 5 of 18 (23,099 Views)

★★★ Newbie

That fix still works in November 2014!  Great stuff.

Message 6 of 18 (22,704 Views)

★★★ Newbie
I have windows XP and am getting same error...will this fix work too? The patch really screwed it up...thanks
Message 7 of 18 (22,481 Views)

★ Novice

FINALLY FIXED THIS ISSUE! Thanks so much!

FYI for anyone on Mac Yosemite, you can find these folders by:

1. Opening the Spore folder from Applications
  2. Right/control click and choose 'Open package contents'
  3. Go to: Contents -> Resources -> transgaming -> c_drive -> Spore -> Data -> Locale
Message 8 of 18 (21,309 Views)

★★ Novice

Im running mac sierra, i cannot do this, im stuck on spore version 4. I get the bad data error, ive deleted and re installed, ive followed the instructions online and the manual patch doesnt reconise spore, the game itself updates itself and then gets an error. If i dont update it to 4, i cant play it at all

Message 9 of 18 (18,170 Views)

@4f8412ba9074152c Hi,

Do you know this guide, it is specifically for Mac. 

http://forum.spore.com/jforum/posts/list/105/31948.page#3894220

If the fix didn't help, you should completely uninstall Oriign and Spore and use the AppCleaner.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/app-cleaner-find-remove-applications/id1013897218?mt=12

The tool removes all hidden files that affect the client and the game. Shutdown the machine and reinstall everything

Cheers

Liz

I don't work for EA, but I‘m the helping hands for Sims on Mac, Simpsons players …
Ich arbeite NICHT für EA. Bin aber seit mehr als 20 Jahren mit EA/Maxis Spiele verbunden.
❤️ TSTO - Die Simpsons Springfield
❤️ Sims Freeplay.. ❤️ Sims 2-3-4 auf MBP

Meine Sims 4 Geschichten und Kreationen 

Message 10 of 18 (18,152 Views)