June 2019 - last edited Thursday by EA_David
Hi! I've seen that @Freggi-Liz is constantly answering people with login problems in Spore, so I want to help! They are mostly problems with people playing the disk version of the game or having problems with the Steam version, and the solutions are just the same.
I remember that back on the Sporums, SporeMaster Kyle published a very good guide on how to connect to the Spore servers after the 2016 server update. So I'm reposting it here with minor adjustments:
Buying and Downloading Spore
The main Spore game, and both expansions (Creepy & Cute parts pack, Galactic Adventure expansion pack) can be purchased from the following locations:
No matter where you purchase, you can always transfer your copy of Spore to Origin. See "Registering with Spore" below.
Spore was previously available on DVD. This version of the game is no longer receiving updates, and cannot play online. Please transfer it to Origin for online functionality, bug fixes, and added features for Spore and Galactic Adventures.
Creating a Spore Account
A Spore persona is needed to use online features for Spore.
Your Spore persona is linked to an EA/Origin account. Note that your Spore and Origin screen names may be different, depending on how you set up your account. Your Spore screen name cannot be changed, but you can add up to 5 personas per EA/Origin account at http://www.spore.com/view/screenNameManage
To create a Spore persona:
Note: The email address and password you use at www.ea.com or other EA games is the same email and password you should use for Spore. If in doubt, go to www.origin.com and try to login with your email. If it exists, that is your account. If it doesn't, create an account with EA before loading Spore.
Registering Spore on Origin
If you purchased Spore on other services, and cannot register in-game, or simply need to download the game from Origin, follow these instructions.
You can also redeem the codes from CD/DVD, Steam or GOG directly in Origin if you have it installed and if they haven't been attached to an account already.
If you get the message that your code has already been used, contact EA Support at https://go.ea.com/HowToEAHelp and have your serial code ready to give to the game advisor. They will be able to help you out.
Installing and updating the game
If you installed Spore from one of the three above services (Origin, Steam, GOG) after March 2017, you already have the latest version of the game. An updated game is required to access Sporepedia, the MySpore page and other online features.
If you're unable to login
Technical Help with the Game
If you have further questions, here's where to go:
Help with the Spore game itself (technical issues, crashes, bugs encountered while playing the game):
Help with purchasing, downloading, or registering the game (including all Origin issues):
June 2019 - last edited June 2019
@arthrfrts Thank you for a great guide. 👍
Add another good guide here
Spore for Steam (Solution)
September 2021 - last edited September 2021
(COPY AND PASTED FROM MY STEAM GUIDE WHICH IS IN GREATER DETAIL AND CAN BE VIEWED HERE)
As many will know, Registering a new spore account this year is next to impossible given the fact that buying a copy of Spore off steam does not give a CD key, and the Origin copy of spore does not allow new users to register half the time. Even having EA support give you a new copy of Spore did not work. (As of the time of writing this, over 800+ confirmed players have not been able to register an account since February 2021 and could only stare at the words "Unknown Error during Registration". The only way to register was to buy a new copy off of GOG (good old games) or buy Spore Creature Creator off origin for 10 dollars, neither of which was fair.
However, there is now a solution, while rather tedious, it has been tested and works and can be confirmed by 3 new players. (This was discovered today)
1. Hit the Windows Key and the R key at the same time to open the Run Window. Type "regedit" and then hit Enter or click "Ok".
2. A prompt will come up, give administrator privileges.
3. Now you should be viewing the Registry Editor with a list of folders on the left. There are a few locations where your Spore CD key can be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node (64-bit only)
Exact Location for some users: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\electronic arts\ea games\spore(tm)\ergc
4. Look for the 'Electronic Arts' folder in whichever location you chose, it may also be in lowercase, though this rare.
5. Open the 'Electronic' Arts folder, and you'll see two "SPORE" folders: "Spore" and "Spore_EP1".
The CD key for some users was in "Spore_EP1"
6. Find the CD key which is titled "ProductKey" under "Data". It should be a 20 character code.
7. Go to Origin, whether that be the app or the browser, and at the top right of your Game Library page you should see "Add Game".
8. Click "Add Game" and enter the code. It will ask you what version of Spore you want (I would personally choose the one with more languages under it just for convenience)
9. You now should have Spore on your Origin account, and yes, even if an EA Support Official gave you a free copy of Spore on your account earlier, your copy should redeem no problem.
10. Run Spore on Steam
11. Once you are greeted with the Account Registration page; (you should be familiar with this by now), enter your Origin account information and then a Spore username and hit register. If you did all the steps correctly, this should register a new Spore account!
I’m looking under the same registry location and it just says (value not set). I got this copy from the support team so now what?