Error connecting to the Spore servers (Steam)

by thotumn69

Original Post

Accepted Solution

Error connecting to the Spore servers (Steam)

★★★ Newbie

To get something out of the way immediately, this is not about the CD key issue. I already resolved that earlier today.

So, when I try registering a Spore account (this also happens when I try logging in as if I have an existing account), it fails and I receive the following message: "There was an error connecting to the Spore servers. Your computer might be offline or your internet connection may be having problems. Check your connection or visit Spore.com for additional assistance or server status."

Now, from everything I've read, the servers are still perfectly alive and well. Additionally, I know that the game is actually connecting to the login servers, because when I put in an incorrect password for the correct email, it gives me a message saying "The email address and password don't match anything in our system. Please try again; if you continue to have problems, please contact Customer Support." So I know that my game is definitely connecting to the login servers. And once again, I feel the need to stress that this should not be a CD key issue. It used to be one, but then I went through the process of linking my Steam and Origin accounts and having an EA support member fully add the game to my Origin account and I am now getting a completely different error.

Looking up this issue has resulted in basically no answers. So like, what gives? Does anyone know anything about this or am I just out of luck? Do I need to contact support again? If so, what should I even ask?

Message 1 of 20 (22,933 Views)

Accepted Solution

Re: Error connecting to the Spore servers (Steam)

★★★ Newbie

So, I'm going to post an update about this in case other people are looking for the answer to the account registration problem in the godforsaken year of 2022. I don't know how much longer this will be the answer, as it seems to change arbitrarily every so often, but yeah.

After an amount of time, for seemingly no reason, I started getting the "unknown error during registration" or whatever it says again instead of the error connecting to the Spore servers. This prompted me to do more research, and I actually found a thread from July 2021 with a solution I hadn't seen before: Apparently, there's currently a problem with the servers where you only actually get the proper entitlements to register a new Spore account if you own the Spore Creature Creator on Origin. It's normally $10, which is very unfortunate if you're strapped for cash, but I went out on a limb and bought it and that actually fixed the issue. I was finally, after a year and a half of encountering issues, able to register a new account.

So yeah, if you're like me and have tried everything else and still cannot register, that's what you need to do. It sucks, but if you really want to upload to/download from the Sporepedia, this appears to be the only option if registering your copy of Spore to your Origin account doesn't work. Also, this should really go without saying, but I really wouldn't hold out hope for EA fixing this problem. It's a miracle Spore's servers are still running in the first place, considering how old the game is and how it was a financial disappointment for EA (at least, from what I understand).

View in thread

Message 2 of 20 (22,829 Views)

All Replies

★★★ Newbie

So, I'm going to post an update about this in case other people are looking for the answer to the account registration problem in the godforsaken year of 2022. I don't know how much longer this will be the answer, as it seems to change arbitrarily every so often, but yeah.

After an amount of time, for seemingly no reason, I started getting the "unknown error during registration" or whatever it says again instead of the error connecting to the Spore servers. This prompted me to do more research, and I actually found a thread from July 2021 with a solution I hadn't seen before: Apparently, there's currently a problem with the servers where you only actually get the proper entitlements to register a new Spore account if you own the Spore Creature Creator on Origin. It's normally $10, which is very unfortunate if you're strapped for cash, but I went out on a limb and bought it and that actually fixed the issue. I was finally, after a year and a half of encountering issues, able to register a new account.

So yeah, if you're like me and have tried everything else and still cannot register, that's what you need to do. It sucks, but if you really want to upload to/download from the Sporepedia, this appears to be the only option if registering your copy of Spore to your Origin account doesn't work. Also, this should really go without saying, but I really wouldn't hold out hope for EA fixing this problem. It's a miracle Spore's servers are still running in the first place, considering how old the game is and how it was a financial disappointment for EA (at least, from what I understand).

Message 2 of 20 (22,830 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Lmao goddamn it. this is probably my fix but im broke thanks for the update though.

Message 3 of 20 (22,526 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@thotumn69 thank you so much! this just fixed it for me!
Message 4 of 20 (22,451 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Thank you so much I was having the same issue downloaded the creature creator from origin and BAM now i can log into my account Cool

Message 5 of 20 (22,296 Views)

★★★ Newbie

So I wasted my money buying the game off of steam?

Message 6 of 20 (22,036 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i fully bought and downloaded the game and im getting the same error, cant login or anything

Message 7 of 20 (21,984 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

@spagnola88888 wrote:

So I wasted my money buying the game off of steam?

Type into Google "Origin client download" and then download and install. Then go back to steam and right click on Spore to get CD key/keys. Then log in to Origin and redeem these CD code/codes. Then make spore account using your Origin login details. @spagnola88888 

Message 8 of 20 (21,878 Views)

★★★ Newbie

thats how im feeling rn 

Message 9 of 20 (21,477 Views)

★★★ Newbie

its so frustrating that this is the solution, youd think for a problem thats persisted this long itd be fixed

Message 10 of 20 (21,217 Views)