by arnold197897

Original Post

EA Support refuses to migrate my Spore account

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

I purchased Spore on pre-order in 2007. I registered the trial here:

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Elliander

On Jun 19, 2008.

I haven't played online since 2015. On 2017 EA required migration to Origins and then in 2020 EA did a new migration to a new Origins system. Meanwhile, I have been aunable to play online. When I contact support and verify my account, email serial numbers, etc. they say that the serial numbers have already been registered. I explain again that it was - by me. Then they tell me to contact Steam support, and I explain again that I purchased a physical copy. 

Here's some of how that conversation with EA support went:

Nitesh (2/20/2022, 6:39:37 PM): Okay, in that case you need to contact to the retailer as we do not have access to this resources.
Elliander (2/20/2022, 6:39:51 PM): um... NO!
Elliander (2/20/2022, 6:39:54 PM): This is YOUR PRODUCT!
Elliander (2/20/2022, 6:40:06 PM): I have no clue who the reseller was!

Elliander (2/20/2022, 6:41:02 PM): And it's registered right here!

http://www.spore.com/view/myspore/Elliander

Doesn't EA own Spore.com ?
Nitesh (2/20/2022, 6:41:04 PM): Yes, but we do not have access to the retailer as it is a physically copy and I am afraid I cannot help you with the physically copy.
Nitesh (2/20/2022, 6:46:27 PM): I realize that the situation is difficult and we never want our players to have bad experience. As much as I would love to help as I am also a Gamer, your request is beyond what we are able to do for players. Believe me, if there is any steps to follow, I would have performed already.Elliander (2/20/2022, 6:48:31 PM): How does that involve the retailers who sell YOUR GAMES. They aren't responsible for YOUR SOFTWARE and it would actually be illegal of them to even try since that would involve circumventing your security which would be a violation of copyright law.
Nitesh (2/20/2022, 6:48:38 PM): I request you to please report a bug through EA forum https://www.ea.com/forums so that team will get into this and you will have an update once it will get fixed.
Elliander (2/20/2022, 6:48:49 PM): So why are you telling me that you REQUIRE people who sell your games to support your games?

Every step was essentially to shift responsibility onto other companies. FIrst to Steam, then to whoever sold me the physical game disc. Finally they told me to contact the support forums, here. I also mentioned other games I owned, such as "Black and White 2" and The Sims, but they wouldn't even respond to that and they eventually hung up on me when I requested to speak with a supervisor preventing me from getting a complete chat log before they did.

Sooooo.... Is this how EA treats long time customers? Intentionally destroy my ability to play online and then blame everyone else? So what am I supposed to do? Reading through these forums I see people are told to contact EA support, but EA support says to ask in the forums as if the forums are even capable of migrating an account! Every account has the same email so it should be easy to fix.

EDIT: Attached is my Spore games side by side. My guess is that since you started selling through Steam you made a new process for those copies and your help agents don't know that EA even sold it's own copies directly to the public!

Message 1 of 3 (1,245 Views)

Re: EA Support refuses to migrate my Spore account

★ Apprentice

I can't use my product code to get a digital version of Spore Galactic Adventures because Origin says it has already been used. I contacted a Game Advisor and they said it was redeemed in 2009. They said for me to contact the retailer. Whats absolutely stupid, is that they count using the product code to register an account for online services as it being redeemed for a digital copy. I tried explaining this to a Game Advisor as well as the fact that it is literally impossible to have redeemed my code on Origin for a digital copy TWO YEARS BEFORE ORIGIN EXISTED, but of course there's nothing that they will do because they are just told to tell the customer that the code was already redeemed and to contact the retailer. Imagine calling up Walmart today and being like, "Hey, I purchased Spore Galactic Adventures from you 12 years ago and I need a new product code that's located in the CD case. Could you tell me the code over the phone?" I need to know someone that I can contact about this that can acutally help me with this like you do.

Message 2 of 3 (987 Views)

Re: EA Support refuses to migrate my Spore account

★★★ Newbie

I've been having the exact same problem. They tell me the codes have already been registered... with my actual email account. The same I use in Origin. It would seem like a simple problem, but it seems like it exceeds their abilities. As always, I've been told to contact the retailer. I bought the games on launch and the reatailer doesn't even exist any more. And even if it did, what would it have to do with it? Lazy excuses to avoid admiting incompetence.

I just wanted a bit of nostalgia loging in to the Spore servers after so many years, and I ended up fighting with support. Well, guess I'll try again sometime.

Message 3 of 3 (657 Views)