by manicswitch

Original Post

Re: Can't register account in game

★★★★ Novice

Let's hope for the best

Message 31 of 88 (2,163 Views)

★★ Pro

Small update on the workaround I mentioned…

We’re trying to implement it via a mod that can be installed for the game. This would be the easiest and most seamless solution, since you would just register in-game as normal. Nothing would be different, it would just load a version of the registration page that does not include the entitlement check.

This solution would still not allow uploading most creations, as I mentioned, because entitlements are checked during every creation upload.

I’m also looking into alternative solutions that may grant the entitlements, which would be an ideal solution instead of this workaround. Nevertheless either way we’ll still likely implement it via a mod.

Message 32 of 88 (2,137 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Kyle_NecrowolfThank you so much 🙏🙏 how long would the mod take to make?

Message 33 of 88 (2,130 Views)

★★ Pro

I have some very good news!

I did some more testing and discovered that the game has a feature to upload the CD key directly from the game to the Spore server, during registration. So all we have to do is make a mod that re-enables this feature, and allows the user to manually enter the code (normally it is only retrieved if on a disc version), and that should cause the server to detect the code, and grant the entitlement directly through the Spore server instead of trying to pull it from origin.

It might even be possible to re-enable this feature without needing a mod, though that would likely require manually inserting the code into the windows registry. I will see if that works, and if so, I'll post whichever ends up being easier.

Need to do some additional testing to make sure this is in fact the case, but as far as I can tell right now, this should work perfectly, and grants the entitlement that allows creations to be uploaded (my other workaround did not). Will probably post an update tomorrow.

Message 34 of 88 (2,104 Views)

★ Apprentice

@Kyle_Necrowolf Excellent news! Fingers crossed

Message 35 of 88 (2,087 Views)

★ Apprentice
@Kyle_Necrowolf That's incredible news!!
Message 36 of 88 (2,078 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I was about to start digging through my storage to find my old physical copy of the game, glad to hear that might not be necessary! Having to edit a product key in via the registry editor certainly isn't the worst workaround I've had to do for older games.

Message 37 of 88 (2,066 Views)

★ Apprentice

@TTVveedwapor @Kyle_Necrowolf Quite hilarious if the solution would be as simple as adding a key to the registry #oldskoolhacking Large smile

Message 38 of 88 (2,053 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Pro

Looks like the game doesn't check the registry on current versions of the game, but a mod that re-inserts it to the game should still be doable. Most likely we'll have a text file outside of the game where you will put your CD key, and then the mod will insert this when you try to register, so the server can verify you own the game that way.

EDIT: So I have no idea where the game pulls the key from at all now... it doesn't actually get it from the registry on any version of the game. Gonna have to do some more research into this... but we'll probably get that mod ready anyways.

Message 39 of 88 (2,028 Views)

★ Apprentice

I swear every time I get an email about a new post here I get a little heart attack

Message 40 of 88 (1,982 Views)