Re: Can't register account in game

by 0rangeAedan

Original Post

★★ Pro

If anyone is able to successfully register at all, please post here! It would be very helpful to try and troubleshoot this issue for those who are affected.

If you are willing to help, please include where you purchased Spore (Origin, Steam, GOG), and the approximate date you purchased the game, and registered a Spore persona in-game.

Spore.com stats are reporting that new users are indeed being registered, so assuming this counter is working, it seems like it's not broken for everyone. Hopefully we can narrow down why some users are affected, since it seems like there's quite a few people hitting this problem.

Message 11 of 88 (2,158 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Novice

@Kyle_NecrowolfI'm also unable to register, I match all the steps you listed before Frown

EDIT: Bought on Steam, redeemed on Origin, and now using hte Origin version to try and connect

Message 12 of 88 (2,143 Views)

★ Apprentice

I'm unable to register as well; Both Steam and Origin don't work at all. This is really annoying.

Message 13 of 88 (2,126 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

Running into the same issue. Bought on Steam and had EA Support add the games to my Origin account. It shows when I use an invalid login for registering but otherwise it either tells me it can't connect to the Spore servers or that an unknown error occurred. I already went through chat support twice and they couldn't do anything for me.

I've made sure my firewall wasn't blocking any access and I watched my router log just to see if maybe it was catching it when trying to register, but nothing comes up. I'm just glad to see this isn't an isolated issue.

Message 14 of 88 (2,111 Views)

★ Apprentice

This makes me curious; why is this happening? Others can apparently register just fine; on GOG there are no problems at all I've heard. Why is this such an issue for the rest of us?

Message 15 of 88 (2,097 Views)

★★ Pro
@pitchtheripoff That's what I'm trying to figure out. There should be no difference between the different editions when it comes to server access - in all cases, it needs to be registered on Origin.

The actual game for Steam and GOG is also identical, the GOG version just has an extra file that "pretends" to be Steam and activates the game without actually opening (or requiring) Steam.
Nevertheless I don't think this is an issue with the game itself (so it won't matter where it's installed from), since as I said, the error message comes from a webpage on spore.com, not the game itself. Error can be reproduced in a modified web browser, no game required.

Steam doesn't include a CD key which makes the "register on Origin" part difficult, since EA support has to do it manually, but otherwise there's no difference. GOG provides the CD key on purchase, and Origin automatically puts it into the library.

I haven't actually been able to personally get in touch with anyone who has registered successfully, but there are some accounts in existence so it seems like it should be possible.
Message 16 of 88 (2,083 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Kyle_NecrowolfIf it needs to be registered to Origin then apparently my Origin copy isn't registered because I can't connect there either. This is ridiculous. You'd think Origin would work the best considering it's EA's platform. If they don't want to fix the game then why keep it's servers up? Makes no sense

Message 17 of 88 (2,068 Views)
Highlighted

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@Kyle_Necrowolf The only thing I could think of is that a certain batch of keys (those purchased on Steam and transfered/added to Origin) isn't inlcuded on the Spore server which checks wether it's a valid key or not. But then you'd expect an error like 'invalid key' or 'key not found' or something similar. Not a generic error.

Message 18 of 88 (2,060 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@0rangeAedan Maybe the recent batch of Origin keys for Steam buyers added by support were the "Spore community access only" keys that a guide I read once warned were the wrong keys to redeem?
Message 19 of 88 (2,043 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I'm not quite sure, EA Support gave me the product key for my Spore copy and attempting to redeem it in Origin shows it as a standard key, nothing about community access.

Message 20 of 88 (2,036 Views)