Re: Your opinion is appreciated!

by freedougp

Original Post

Your opinion is appreciated!

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice
I'm starting to get involved in the video game development field. I got an idea for a new game and would love to know what some of you think about it. I'm thinking about calling it Hustle Hard. The point of the game would be to make money, take over turf, eliminate competitors, etc, basically blowing up in the game and becoming a Boss. Ways of getting to the top would be to slang dope, pimp ho's, extortion, heists, so basically anything illegal to make big paper. Remember the game Scarface where you had to deal dope and stuff? It would be like that game × 100 on steroids! Way better. I know there's a lot of games along this line but I have plenty ideas that would make it stick out from the crowd. I can't say I'm very proud of developing a game that is all about doing dirt, but what can I say... evil sells lol. Thanks for your feedback!! 💯✌
Message 1 of 3 (272 Views)

★★★★ Novice
Also, one of the best aspects of the game would be that it's all online play against real people. I suppose there'll have to be an offline mode too, but just so that people without online capabilities could play.
Message 2 of 3 (268 Views)

★★ Guide

@freedougp wrote:
I got an idea for a new game and would love to know what some of you think about it. 

I applaud your efforts, but thought I'd throw a little bit of a hard lesson learned about public messages like this one.  There are many people who may look at your idea as being a brilliant idea, no matter what the idea is, be it a website, a game, a new product to be sold in stores, and because there is nothing legally tying you to that idea, will take your idea and create something and have it on the market before you can say it's time to test the product.

I learned that the hard way with a project years ago.  Made a similar kind of post and 2 months later someone from the same site was announcing the launch of their product (my idea).  I was still 6 months away from beginning testing myself and here in 2 months they've launched exactly what I had been working on for over a year.

My son had the exact same thing happen to him, only in his case, it was someone who he considered a friend, but this friend wanted launch now launch now when the genius behind the idea should take no less than 2 years production time.  So this so called friend took the basic idea to another developer he knew who had something going in 3 months.  For him, it was insignificant because what was done in 3 months was about a year and 3/4 shy of being a decent product so it failed miserably while he is still working on it.

If you do not have something functional yet, then it's not time to involve the public.  It's a secret down low on the hush hush.  The only people that should be involved are either the people you're paying to be involved with non-disclosures in place or very close friends and/or family, but even that can backfire on you.  In general, if you do not have a non-disclosure agreement, you do not put out any kind of information about your product because someone can and will take your idea and put something out before you have time to even get to alpha testing.  Look for public assistance when you're ready for beta, but not until then.  Even then have the legalities ready for your beta team.

Message 3 of 3 (251 Views)