Re: Turn off annoying auto-re-positioning "feature"?

by Skyambler

Original Post

Turn off annoying auto-re-positioning "feature"?

★★★ Newbie
This "feature" should have been cut from the game before a single line of code was ever written. I'm referring to how the super awesome google-esque AI decides to move my building around (and most fo the time directly in my way) when I'm trying to re-structure/re-organize my city/buildings/roads.

Typical Scenario: I'm trying to move some of my city buildings and roads around
for whatever reason. When I bulldoze a road (or move a building) in a way that
causes one or more buildings to lose access to a road (and thus services), the AI
takes it upon itself to move said building(s) to a nearby location that has
access to roads. It does this without request, consent, or even my knowledge in
most cases. The awesome effect is as I'm trying to navigate the tedious interface
and put things where *I* want them to be, the AI is moving buildings around willy-nilly
and 95% of the time landing them directly in the path of some road or building I was
just about to lay down.

Now, I know that whoever came up with this "meant" well. Figured save the user a couple
seconds of moving that building themself, prevent the city from plummeting into
abandon building chaos if tons of buildings lose access to roads at one time, etc...

However, the implimentation is abyssmal, and only leads to annoyance, frustration, and
I'm sure eventual insanity.

Best case scenario, this "feature" saves me 3 seconds by correctly guessing what I
wanted to do about 5% of the time. I could have easily done this myself, and the time
saved the 1 in 20 times it actually guesses right, isn't worth the headaches and frustration
caused the other 19 of 20 times when it's just completely wrong, and putting things in my way
and generally making the UX miserable and the mayor very unhappy.

So can I turn off "google-mode" positioning? If not, why NOT? This "feature" sucks!

Another thing that would be nice to turn off in the non-existent settings would be the
annoying and ugly interface bubbles cluttering the aesthetic of my pretty lil city.
Is there a way to turn off the hud/interface so I can just see my city in all its glory
rather than a bunch of clunky interface items? If not, WHY NOT? Fix it!

For that matter, fix the whole settings menu so I actually have options besides sound on/off.

You expect people to put down their hard earned cash on a regular basis buying simcash, yet you
don't put in any time or effort to make the UX less abrasive. A small investment in coding some
decent UX options and features could pay off big for your bottom line if you would just think about the
people playing the game (and paying your salary), rather than just thinking about how to make the
game as boring and tedious as possible so people break down and spend their money just so they
can actually play the game instead of sitting there staring at the screen with nothing to do.

I remember a time when companies tried to make games engaging, and interesting, now it seems
this freemium model is all about who can make the most boring game that annoys the user into
spending money just for a short break in the tedium. This is not the spirit in which those who
came before you pioneered this industry to so clumsily stomp upon with gilded cleats of solid gold.

Those pathfinders wouldn't find todays freemium model at all in line with the true spirit of
gaming and personal entertainment. This is more like deception, manipulation, and out-right exploitation
of the weak-willed and easily bored with expendable income (aka little kids spending their parents money.)

So get a life EA, your already rich, why don't you do something right for once and put some effort
into acquiring some loyalty from your player base rather than offending and alienating them.

It's not too late, yet.
Message 1 of 3 (795 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

This sounds like a complaint and not a question. So perhaps in the wrong place.  Why don't you complain to EA directly instead of putting in the community support area?

Message 2 of 3 (533 Views)

★★ Novice

Because they send us here!

Message 3 of 3 (403 Views)