Building upgrade- not wanted

by slechtrecker

Original Post

Building upgrade- not wanted

★★ Novice
I have enough skyscrapers. I want to keep some of the smaller buildings and not upgrade. Is there a way to stop upgrading and keep the smaller houses? I want some variety. I have too many of the same buildings. Frustrated.
Thanks for the help.
Message 1 of 18 (28,611 Views)

Re: Building upgrade- not wanted

★★★★★ Novice
I agree. There should be a "Not Now" button, that allows you to keep a building as it is, and gets rid of the construction thought bubble.
Message 2 of 18 (28,436 Views)

You can just ignore the update building. I OK now the little helmet looks stupid...but you don't have to update the building if you don't want to. 

Good Luck,~BB~

CCP Hero Banner - Blue.png

Message 3 of 18 (28,382 Views)

★ Novice
I find if you reduce the services like transportation , roads ,schools and entertainment the buildings will not upgrade. try a new area even if you demolish a scraper and reduce services and you should have a area with just small homes.
Message 4 of 18 (28,352 Views)

★ Novice
Also PARKS, if you have no parks the buidlings rarely ever upgrade. I regulary demolish skyscapers also and rebuild them for cash and the new buildings are always more advanced looking in luxury zone.
Message 5 of 18 (28,350 Views)

★★ Novice
Thanks. I'll try some of those ideas. It would be nice to just click an option to leave a building alone and not upgrade.
Message 6 of 18 (28,158 Views)

★★ Novice
I agree. I bulldozed most my luxury scrapers. I'd like to keep a variety of homes. And without the thought bubble.
Message 7 of 18 (27,902 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

There should be a residential skin system where you spend 1-2 keys to make a skyscraper look like another building you have unlocked.

Message 8 of 18 (27,540 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I created a very low-rent part of town--moved the buildings to a completely service- and specialization-free spot whenever I wanted to upgrade, and kept the neighborhood itself covered only by fire, police, and health.

Then I had another neighborhood that has the more "mid-century" homes, and a few estates. Covered by services, lots of specializations.

I'm getting bugged incessantly to upgrade the low-rent homes, but the nicer ones well-covered aren't offering upgrades at all.

I most definitely want the option to turn off upgrade prompts. I'm totally willing to have to pay simoleons or keys in order to upgrade a building after having turned it off, though.

Message 9 of 18 (27,387 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Variation on the strategy some have already posted, but I do the following:

Build a new plot. Upgrade up to 1 upgrade away from your desired outcome. When you are ready to upgrade, make sure you have the plot in the desired land value (I was going for mid-level tier 2 homes so had to move to yellow-orange areas), and then upgrade it. IMMEDIATELY move the plot to somewhere without a road before it has a chance to offer another upgrade. (And no services too? Not sure if it helps but I have been doing this.) It will not offer an upgrade after that because it is not connected by a road. Once 5 other buildings have offered upgrades, then you can move it back and it will not be able to offer an upgrade but people will still be able to live in it.

When you do desire to do an upgrade on some other building, you will have to move it back into the boonies because it will be a high priority to offer an upgrade next and then you will be stuck with the little construction hat bubble and one of your 5 construction slots taken up.

Can be tedious to move large numbers of buildings (or delete large segments of road? that would probably work too) but worth it to be able to design little subdivisions. Standard smile

Message 10 of 18 (27,176 Views)