Re: The Omega Update

by atco473

Original Post

★★ Apprentice

Just noticed this morning that it appears Omega related utilities such as the Drone Base and ControlNet are getting more expensive each time you purchase one. I just built a Basic Drone Base for 5600 and now they're asking 16,200! Not sure if they go up each time or if it caps out, but the expense of this base is so prohibitive that it essentially installed a soft cap in how much I can expand my Omega Properties. This is unprecedented in the history of SimCity and real road block / time sink to actually having a decent collection of Omega Buildings. I'll see if the Small Drone Base increases as well - I already have 2 but for a third it's only 2400, making it far more affordable and cost effective.

I would assume that this translates over to the new Omega Utilities - Water, Power etc. Which is a shame because that was one of the primary reasons I picked up this update and came out of a 3 month hiatus. These new utilities are so much smaller and are so much more efficient that you can save a lot of map space for actual city expansion. If these become cost prohibitive as well then I don't think I'm going to complete my goals and will probably end up back on hiatus till the next update.

This would all be OK if this line of thinking translated to things might actually benefit the player and provide decent reward for the time and resources committed to upgrading your Omega Buildings. But once again, this is just another example of a poorly tuned and mathematically deficient update. If I only do one upgrade to a residential zone I get 100 neosims, If I complete a building project with the highest upgrade I only get 200 neosimoleans. Does this make sense? If I applied EA's logic of upgrading utilities and argued that there should be properly tuned rewards for having fully upgraded buildings I should be netting over 500 neosimoleans a day, at least.

It's obvious this game is out to make money - it's EA's prerogative but I can't imagine this update was tuned with any kind of thought to actually providing an enjoyable play experience. Oh well see you next update.

Message 31 of 68 (2,350 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

"It's obvious this game is out to make money - it's EA's prerogative but I can't imagine this update was tuned with any kind of thought to actually providing an enjoyable play experience. Oh well see you next update."

Funny old thing ... exactly my thinking too!  After some 20 years of various iterations of The Sims and its offshoots, one gets to see the clues.

To think I actually spent a LOT of money on an Alienware gaming PC to play Sims ... now I won't give EA a single penny.  They have a long history of regular upgrades which are insufficiently beta-tested to meet their 'must keep the game fresh' cycle, which eventually break the game completely.  But they don't care, they expect people to go and buy the newest/latest cash cow.

A sad thought ... I was probably playing The Sims before many of today's developers were born!  Standard smile

Message 32 of 68 (2,347 Views)

★ Guide

"I have been using the small canisters whenever possible since they give me a better return for time spent in production. The regular items that are given out are usually good enough to offset the 7000 Simolean cost by a significant amount."

To update further my previous update regarding the value of regular items produced by Omega. freenachosnow specifically mentioned the single canister and so I had 2 more produced. The regular items were worth 2620 simoleans and the second canister's regular items were worth 2430. Again, a 14,000 investment was needed to produce these and when added to my previous four canisters, the total value of the regular items received is 17,030 which required an investment of 42,000. Seems like we are going backwards

I in no means have shown this example to support or influence anyone to not participate in the Omega adventure. However, I think this example proves that the justification offered that it will more than pay for itself certainly is not correct. I think we participate in Omega because of the new buildings or what have you, but certainly no one believes that it will pay for itself?

Message 33 of 68 (2,320 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
I wasn't saying that it would pay for itself. I just mentioned that the regular items gained help offset the cost. Also, the small canisters, while only giving two regular items and one Omega are good if you want to produce Omega items at a faster rate.

Message 34 of 68 (2,314 Views)

★ Guide

@freenachosnow wrote:
I wasn't saying that it would pay for itself. I just mentioned that the regular items gained help offset the cost. Also, the small canisters, while only giving two regular items and one Omega are good if you want to produce Omega items at a faster rate.

"I have been using the small canisters whenever possible since they give me a better return for time spent in production. The regular items that are given out are usually good enough to offset the 7000 Simolean cost by a significant amount."

I copied this right out of your previous post. No you didnt say it would pay for itself, but saying that they would offset the cost by a significant amount surely would lead people to believe that they would break even or even make a profit by selling the regular items.

Its all good...

Message 35 of 68 (2,307 Views)

★★★★★ Novice
Why would people believe that it would be free or profitable? I said neither. I said offset the cost, and by using your math of 42000 with over 17000 back from potential profit of those regular items I say that the nearly 40% back is significant. This doesn't include the additional 40% in daily taxes you stand to gain after the buildings are fully upgraded (assuming you're upgrading standard buildings.)

You've misunderstood and misquoted me.

Message 36 of 68 (2,281 Views)

★ Guide

@freenachosnow wrote:
Why would people believe that it would be free or profitable? I said neither. I said offset the cost, and by using your math of 42000 with over 17000 back from potential profit of those regular items I say that the nearly 40% back is significant. This doesn't include the additional 40% in daily taxes you stand to gain after the buildings are fully upgraded (assuming you're upgrading standard buildings.)

You've misunderstood and misquoted me.

No harm intended but how could I misquote you when I copied it straight from your post

Its all good...we all play this game different ways and for different reasons so as long as we are playing, thats what counts!

I admire you for having 21 Omega buildings already...thats quite an achievement!

Message 37 of 68 (2,268 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

Made the msitake of trying this OMEGA thing.  BIG MISTAKE.  Now I can't delete my OMEGA production facilities - no way to bulldoze, so I'm stuck with at least 6 residential sites taken up by OMEGA facilities that I have abandoned.  This latest EA ploy to entice you to buy SIMCASH is very disheartening.  Been playing this gane for a long time, and I think EA has finally made me want to put down this game for good & take up golf.

Message 38 of 68 (2,155 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Apprentice

Let me try to think back to other EA 'upgrades'  ... by doing that they broke The Sims, Sims2, Sims3, SimCity, SimCity 2000, Sims Medieval and a few others I paid for in the past including many Sims expansion packs that eventually broke.  I have a box of dead EA Games in the Attic ... EA managed to break them all eventually.  Now they have done it AGAIN.

Where am I now with this game?  

BROKEN ... No 'drops' from my City bubbles, so no free replenishment of Expansion, Storage or Vu items.

BROKEN ... Epic Tokens are not appearing, so Speed-Up is now also not an option (6/26 appeared yesterday, so far 12/26 today at random times). EDIT = OK, 13 have just turned up, but what happened to yesterday's tokens?  It's now seeming to be completely random!

Both of those factors mean COM is now a non-option, so that's effectively Broken too.  No more disasters, can't expand or produce efficiently.

And with a fully developed City with 2.25m population, apart from 'playing' Omega development (hahahaha) the only things left to do are Carge and Airplane shipments ... for why??

EA, I have sympathy for those who have paid you real money for the failures you have been imposing on everyone for nearly 20 years.

iPad player, BTW.  Lvl 59, 2.254m population.

Message 39 of 68 (2,149 Views)

★★ Novice

Is it possible to delete all Omega related nonsense. I put it down before I realised what a waste of time it was and now I want my space back (as I never get any items for land upgrades anymore)

Message 40 of 68 (2,067 Views)