Re: So hard to earn simoloeons

by PinnacleValley

Original Post

Re: So hard to earn simoloeons

★ Expert

Helsimki, it is very interesting this game is used in a Geology class...I would see an application in Urban Planning, Economics, Sociology, etc. but never would have thought Geology, the Professor must be an advent fan and it’s pretty cool they were able to work it into the curriculum. There is a tremendous learning opportunity to be gained from the SimCity side of the game.

You are correct in your observation that the base game is methodical in nature and it’s all about planning and development. It is critical to develop a robust infrastructure (police, fire, medical, utilities, roads, etc.) planning for growth - when I built my city I developed communities providing coverage for a certain area of land and insured all needs were covered before I built the first home. This limited my financial risk in that the only real expense I had was upgrading roads to support growth. One absolutely critical item that needs everyone’s focus is storage...I share with my guys always buy the storage expansion items if given a choice between land, beach or mountain. But I’m not here to tell anyone how to build their city, it’s a personal choice and that’s why we have so many beautiful cities and sadly many, not so much.

I respectfully disagree with the premise that hamburgers and pizza are good ways to make simoleons - look at the ingredients in a hamburger (meat, bread and a grill). Each are long run items that tie up your manufacturing capacity especially when you consider the flour and cream needed for the bread...when you consider the cost of production and even more importantly  the opportunity costs associated the income is more like 3k and you’ve most likely tied up a valuable slot in the global trade market for 2 days...I personally would rather sell donuts below sales price (marketing tip - always provide the customer value either in price or not so readily available items). I can turn that slot in the global market over 5 or 6 times and generate a profit of 1,500 per turn earning 9k which is 3 times the profit earned on hamburgers in the same time frame.

My suggestion to those struggling to earn siimoleons is think about what you look for in the global market and can’t find and focus on trying to provide that - things like nails, hammers, vegetables are easy runners and turnover quickly in the market...personally I focus on donuts, chairs and watches and whatever items I’m producing for CoM - keep your factories running and manufacturing slots full, collect your taxes daily, visit Daniel every day, open all bubbles (just made 10k on a hamburger challenge and purchased 18 of the 20 at full price) not only in your city but more importantly when you visit other cities. Never over extend, limit participation in war games to what you can afford and find a supportive club that will assist you in meeting your needs. As an example I play a little hamburger game where I sell 5 hamburgers for 1 simoleon ea and by it back from them a full price generating 18k profit for my teammate and normally do it 5 times and they earn about 90k...I’ve probably done this roughly 50 times and still have over twice the amount I’ve given away (when you give freely it always finds its way back to you...there’s a moral lesson here but this forum is not the place to share it) Take care.

Message 21 of 21 (680 Views)