How is the club war ranking calculated?

by phillipb2017

Original Post

How is the club war ranking calculated?

★★ Novice

I can’t find an explanation anywhere.

Message 1 of 24 (21,259 Views)

Re: How is the club war ranking calculated?

★ Guide

Hi there.  The following text was posted on November 1st in the Club Wars Feedback topic (it is also repeated in the Club Wars FAQ topic).  I've emphasized the relevant text in red.  Hope it helps answer your query.

- Modern Thinker

Hello Mayors,

With the latest update of the game, we have introduced some enhancements to Club Wars to improve your experience. You have shown how much you care about this new game mode by sharing your feedback with us, so I also wanted to take some time to say thank you and share some information with you.

We know some of you felt Club Wars related tasks were interfering with your Contest of Mayors experience. For this reason, we have lowered the chances of getting war related tasks for now. We will be paying close attention to how this change affects your playing experience, and make even more changes if needed. Please, feel free to give us your feedback about how things are feeling for you now. If you don’t want to participate in Club Wars, it should be easier for you now to ignore war related tasks and, at the same time, if you do want to play this new game mode, you will still have tasks available to choose.

Another topic you brought to our attention is matchmaking. There seem to be some questions about how it works so let me try to explain it a bit. 😊

As some of you have already noticed, every Club has a Club Wars Score. This score increases at the end of a war if your Club achieves the victory, and decreases otherwise - a rating system some of you might know as 'Elo'. Club Wars Score is one of the elements the game considers when finding an opponent for your Club - during matchmaking, your Club will get paired to battle another Club with a similar Club Wars Score.

What does this mean for you? The more wars you win, the higher your Club Wars Score will be and the stronger your opponents! If you feel your opponents are weak now, keep winning and use the opportunity to accumulate war cards, things will get more difficult soon!

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts with us,

-Mai

Message 2 of 24 (21,243 Views)

★★ Novice

Well that doesn’t explain why all clubs that have won 7 out of 7 wars have different points total.

Message 3 of 24 (21,235 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

No, it doesn't - directly.

But if you google "Elo rating system", which EA seems to want you to do (EA tends to not bother to deeply explain...well, anything ever), then you can learn a bit about what it is and how it works.

As I best understand it, it is thus:

• You get more points for beating a tough opponent (the loser also loses more points for losing to you, a supposedly weaker opponent for them).
  • So if you play a weaker opponent and you "tie", the weaker opponent actually gains some points from you (and you lose some to them).
  • If you are supposed to completely destroy a weak opponent, and you instead only just barely manage to beat them, you don't score so well, even though you won.

So it is very easy for a whole bunch of clubs to all have the same number of wins, but have a variety of different points.

This may not be terribly helpful to you, but it's more than you are likely to get from EA.  Frankly, I'm amazed EA even went to the effort to share that they use an Elo rating style system.

Message 4 of 24 (21,228 Views)

★★ Novice

Actually that helps, thank you.

Message 5 of 24 (21,218 Views)

★★ Novice

Frankly, I do not like the Mayoral challenges and prefer the war games by far.  

Message 6 of 24 (20,343 Views)

★★ Novice

How do I find my personal war score. Points i have run up in war??

Message 7 of 24 (20,274 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I think it's based on wins and losses only. It has nothing to do with how big your win or loss is. Just if you win or not. You are correct though that you get more points for beating a higher rated tem than a lower one. Same holds true for losses you drop more points for losing to a lesser team than you would to 1 that's rated higher than you. Ornament chess uses the same ranking system and over time it becomes pretty accurate. The biggest problem is club members change so it's not really an accurate representation of the team unless they have been together a long time

Message 8 of 24 (19,870 Views)

★ Expert

Based on the assumption that the information Modern Thinker shared below concerning the Elo scoring system is correct (and I have great confidence it is) then margin of victory plays a part in the team scoring. As I understand how the scoring system works, there is an established favorite and underdog and the projected difference for no better term is the spread. If the game is won by exactly the spread there are no points gained (it is what it should be) and only the win is gained; if the favorite wins by more points than the spread then they gain a statistical amount of points and the losing team loses a statistical amount as well (I do not know if those 2 numbers are equal) and if they don’t win by at least the spread then the winning team loses points while the losing team gains points. If there is an upset the obvious occurs, the favorite loses points as well as suffers a loss and the underdog gets the victory and gains additional points. This explains why you can have 10 teams with the same record and have 10 different scores.

I may be completely off base (it wouldn't be the first time), I’m not a Mathematician - but this is my understanding how the Elo scoring system works. Thanks.

Message 9 of 24 (19,837 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@PinnacleValley

There is no uncertainty in calculating Elo's score.

A is stronger than B.

If A vins against B, A gets X points, B loses X points.

If B wins, gets Y points, A loses Y points.

X<Y

How is X and Y csalculated? That is Elo's deterministic equation with 2 fixed parameters. No probability is involved so far. That fixed, general equation tries to approximate the probabilyty of A beating B. But after the 2 parameters are fixed at the very beginning, nothing is ever changed. Just deterministic point calculations.

Message 10 of 24 (19,604 Views)