Re: How is the club war ranking calculated?

by PIB_Hunter

Original Post

★ Apprentice

@trouble21075

"it's based on wins and losses only. It has nothing to do with how big your win or loss is. Just if you win or not."

Correct.

"You are correct though that you get more points for beating a higher rated tem than a lower one. Same holds true for losses you drop more points for losing to a lesser team than you would to 1 that's rated higher than you."

That is also correct according Elo's point calculation.

Not true however in Club Wars. Unfortunately.

Message 11 of 24 (2,843 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

@ModernThinker

There is no strong win or wek win. Just win, lose and tie.

The first step is to compute the transformed rating for each player or team:

R1 = 10 ^ r1/L

R2 = 10 ^ r2/L

This is just to simplify the further computations. In the second step we calculate the expected score for each player:

E1 = R1 / (R1 + R2)

E2 = R2 / (R1 + R2)

Now we wait for the match to finish and set the actual score in the third step:

S1 = 1 if player 1 wins / 0.5 if draw / 0 if player 2 wins

S2 = 0 if player 1 wins / 0.5 if draw / 1 if player 2 wins

Now we can put it all together and in a fourth step find out the updated Elo-rating for each player:

r'1 = r1 + K * (S1 – E1)

r'2 = r2 + K * (S2 – E2)

(E.g. K=32, L=400)

https://metinmediamath.wordpress.com/2013/11/27/how-to-calculate-the-elo-rating-including-example/

Note, that r'1 + r'2 = r1 + r2 

We could calculate L and K by examples if EA would use Elo's score. But they are not:

r1=1528 r2=1582

S1=0 S2=1

r'1=1498 r'2=1612

r1=1528 r2=1582

S1=1 S2=0

r'1=1554 r'2=1556

Message 12 of 24 (2,835 Views)

★ Apprentice

@ModernThinker

I stand corrected. It counts how much do you win.

One more reason this is not Elo's score system.

Message 13 of 24 (2,826 Views)

★★★★ Novice

When I worked as a trainer for a software company and I would ask a question that they really didn't know the answer to I was told that it was simply FM. When I asked what that meant I was told it meant F'n Magic. Seems like that's the situation here. 

Message 14 of 24 (2,669 Views)

★ Expert

Hi PIB Hunter,

I think you’re on to something...the mayor below got a little carried away proving it wasn’t the Elo System (but very impressive) and missed the key word based. The information concerning margin of victory is taken into consideration in the scoring calculation along with eyes of newt, parsley, sage and some good old black magic...we’ll call it WGAS system for no better term. Yes, 106.5 FM WGAS (we got a solution) Standard smile

Message 15 of 24 (2,660 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide

Thanks @ef-ef119, I enjoyed reading your posts.

Again, unfortunate that the game developers make the players guess about how the game works.  This happens in no other games I can think of, only electronic games that are too cheap to develop manuals that explain the rules and parameters of their products.

No where that I am aware of is there a nice table of information about even the most basic of things such as:

• how many squares wide x long is the game map?
  • how many expansion zones are there?
  • how big is maximum inventory?
  • What are all the population boost buildings and how many epic points does each permit?
  • How does club war scoring work.
  • And so on...

No, players are left to attempt to discover all these answers manually by scrolling through game elements, and by other self-discovery, self-intuition detective work.

Or by coming to "Answers HQ".  But don't think you get answers from the game developers here... no... it is a forum for other players to give answers to other players.  Well, that assumes that other players know what they are talking about.  I'd much prefer getting answers from the game developers directly.  I can do my best to help others, but I'm only struggling to discover things for myself, much as the rest of us are.

Lazy.

Cheap.  And lazy.

Boo EA!

Message 16 of 24 (2,632 Views)

★ Apprentice

@ModernThinkerI mainly aggree.

The good news is that occasonaly EA answers the querstions. E.g. they say, they use Elo's sytem for war ranking.

The bad news is that they are wrong. It clearly is NOT Elo's sytem - for seeral reasons. :-)

That is, the one who wins gets points fom the loser. (That is the only similarity to Elo's sytem.) Who wins barely, gets less points, like 5400:5100 gives 16 points, and who wins much, gets much points, like 78500:7650 gets 31 points. (Numbers are just estimates. I't possible to reverse engeneer the exact formula, but I lost interest.)

Message 17 of 24 (2,620 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide
Hi All,

It's not really ELO system. What I experienced is, that's it's always about ~30 points at the beginning of the war.

For example, your team earns 10k after the first attack and your opponent has 0 - in that case you have +30 points, your opponent -30 points. After that your opponent is trying to come back to his previous ranking and you are loosing the points every time he is shooting back.

Correct me if I'm wrong 😊

All best
Message 18 of 24 (2,605 Views)

City Journal Task: Club Wars II

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

Hi,

Could someone who is currently trying to achieve the Club Wars II challenges in the city journal and hasn't completed the first one, tell me what war rank it says you should reach in the first task? 

Mine doesn't state the war rank that I need to reach, which usually means the specific task is completed, but it's not on mine (see screenshot).

I suspect it's a bug, either the number is just not showing, or I've past it but didn't get the checkmark. I'm war rank 6.

Thanks,

Message 19 of 24 (2,183 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I am trying to explain all I know about elo rating system. There are many factors, so I am putting it out on the following list-

1. The Arena you belong to-

Our club luckily had active members from the first and we won all the wars in Mountainous Mayhem and Desert of Destruction. Every war we won we had our elo rising by 80-110. But, as soon as we entered Frosty Tundra even the best wins gave us +50 elo. So, arena matters.

2. A huge amount of points are rewarded for just being ahead. 

You have probably noticed that say, when your club is at 80k and opponent is at 81k, still opponent have a huge elo increased, even in such a close situation. And, suddenly you get only 100 points up of your opponent, your club gets an sudden elo boost. Your elo now becomes significantly higher in comparison to when you are 1k behind.

3. Rarity matters as well.

I experienced this when once our club was too much behind (opponent was leading by 11k). I launched 3 hands of doom(common) and it got our elo increased by 1. Suddenly, one of our club member launches not in kansas (legendary) and elo increases by +2.

4. There is always an upper limit.

I found this when we were at arena 1. I saw that after we attacked (opponent was at 0) our elo increased by 93. But, after that 3 mayors (of our club) attacked for 3k points. But, it didn't raise the elo at all.

5. A little formula.

Suppose there is two clubs, say, A & B.

A is ahead of B.

And, A gets rewarded by Y+30 points, whereas B gets -Y. 

As said before there is few points just for having a lead A gets Y+30.

Now, the value of Y will depend on the scores of the teams, and rarity of disasters launched, and the other above-mentioned factors.

Hope that this will help. 

I am Simopolis the president of Legendary•War•Club

Message 20 of 24 (1,897 Views)