FAQ about the Global Trade HQ

by AmelieEA

Original Post

Re: FAQ about the Global Trade HQ

★★★ Newbie

I just got on here to complain about trade. Any item I want is always gone by the time the city loads. And honestly, if I have 7 factories, I don't need to see a bunch of steal that I can make in the time it takes to buy an item.

Message 71 of 138 (1,895 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@shnorp wrote:

And honestly, if I have 7 factories, I don't need to see a bunch of steal that I can make in the time it takes to buy an item.

Ironically, I can sell metal pretty fast, despite everyone's ability to make it in one minute.  I'm under the impression that the folks buying it are doing so because their factories are booked up with other orders, and they found they needed some metal, either as a raw material for nails, hammers, etc. or for a building upgrade.  Unlike other materials, I always discount the metal by a few Simoleons, just to stand out from all the others being sold at max price.  When I sell it, it's usually to free up storage space -- it's not worth enough to manufacture it just to sell. 

That said, I agree with what you said about global trade.  There's definitely more at work than just shortages caused by player demand.

If this helps resolve your issue, please click accept solution as this may help others with the same issue to find a resolution as well.  XP is appreciated but not required.

Message 72 of 138 (1,890 Views)

★★★ Newbie

You guys have got to be the dumbest people on earth right now.  So you finally tried to fix the trade house once again....So what was your answer this time!?!?!   To make an item say "SOLD" once the city loads in if it's not available anymore!!!!

ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC!!!  PLEASE FIRE YOU DEVELOPER THAT IS IN CHARGE OF THE TRADE HOUSE!!!  I MEAN IT!!!  I have been a software developer for 20+ years now and this is unacceptable programming!   This person in charge obviously doesn't give a flying terd sandwich about what he is doing!  This person only wants to tweak what they have already developed instead of fixing the problem which obviously requires a build up from the ground up.   Adding the Sold feature changes nothing \. It actually makes it more frustrating!  Now instead of thinking I can still buy something I am trying to buy I get slapped in the face immediately and told no. I still have to wait for the opposing city to load and then wait for the trade house to refresh!

This is unacceptable development practices. I run my own small software development company and this would be an automatic fire if one of my guys were doing * like this!!  Fire these idiots and get some real developers that care!!!

Message 73 of 138 (1,882 Views)

Champion (Retired)

@cybershrapnel wrote:

You guys have got to be the dumbest people on earth right now.  So you finally tried to fix the trade house once again....So what was your answer this time!?!?!   To make an item say "SOLD" once the city loads in if it's not available anymore!!!!

ABSOLUTELY IDIOTIC!!!  PLEASE FIRE YOU DEVELOPER THAT IS IN CHARGE OF THE TRADE HOUSE!!!  I MEAN IT!!!  I have been a software developer for 20+ years now and this is unacceptable programming!   This person in charge obviously doesn't give a flying terd sandwich about what he is doing!  This person only wants to tweak what they have already developed instead of fixing the problem which obviously requires a build up from the ground up.   Adding the Sold feature changes nothing \. It actually makes it more frustrating!  Now instead of thinking I can still buy something I am trying to buy I get slapped in the face immediately and told no. I still have to wait for the opposing city to load and then wait for the trade house to refresh!

This is unacceptable development practices. I run my own small software development company and this would be an automatic fire if one of my guys were doing * like this!!  Fire these idiots and get some real developers that care!!!

@cybershrapnel -- I think you are under the incorrect impression they want to fix the issue.  The programmers probably know exactly what it would take to make a satisfactory global trade depot -- I suspect the decision was made at a higher level and their hands are tied.  You might find this link interesting: http://answers.ea.com/t5/SimCity-BuildIt-General/Sneaky-algorithm/m-p/4447842#U4447842 

If this helps resolve your issue, please click accept solution as this may help others with the same issue to find a resolution as well.  XP is appreciated but not required.

Message 74 of 138 (1,872 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes, I have thought the same thing. But then I sit down and say to myself.  "Hey self, these people at EA ultimately want me to spend real money to buy simcash correct?"  So why on Earth would they make the Trade House so frustrating that I would never ever consider throwing any cash at this game???

The logic that they are making the trade house bad on purpose doesn't make any sense from a business standpoint. I want people to like my game and enjoy my game so that they buy simcash and give me their money! Correct? 

Hence the Trade House should not be broken on purpose because people will not give a broken game any money.

So the lgic that they are doing this on purpose defeats the logic that they want to make real money as a business selling simcash! get my logic.....

I really think this has more to do with Maxis no longer being a part of the project and too many layers of accountability within their layers of development teams. I realize it is not one programmer making bad mistakes but most likely a bad project lead or manager telling the team to do this and that.

That guy needs to be replaced! He's gotta go. There is no way this is intentionally being done. and if it is, whoever is the boss of that guy needs to have it brought to his attention because that guy is WRONG on so many financial levels it is not even funny!

Message 75 of 138 (1,862 Views)

[ Edited ]
Champion (Retired)

@cybershrapnel wrote:

I really think this has more to do with Maxis no longer being a part of the project and too many layers of accountability within their layers of development teams. I realize it is not one programmer making bad mistakes but most likely a bad project lead or manager telling the team to do this and that.

That guy needs to be replaced! He's gotta go. There is no way this is intentionally being done. and if it is, whoever is the boss of that guy needs to have it brought to his attention because that guy is WRONG on so many financial levels it is not even funny!

I think we agree generally, just not on what level of management is responsible for the issue -- I personally suspect it comes from someone higher than a team lead, but acknowledge that it's possible that the issue is at that level.  At this point, someone at some level feels their reputation is on the line, and they need to make it work with only minor tweaks.  Anything else would be admitting that it's been wrong from the get go.  Might cost someone their job.

Message 76 of 138 (1,850 Views)

★★ Apprentice

I have recently noticed that my phone now has a 5-10 second stall when traveling to the sellers city. Status bar pauses at 50%. Since this it is now IMPOSSIBLE to buy any high demand items. Always sold by the time the city loads.   I have deleted and reinstalled but no change.   Tablet does not seem to have this issue, just the standard GTHQ disfunctionallity.

Message 77 of 138 (1,832 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Apprentice

Wow. Eight pages and not even a response regarding a major flaw, highlighted by almost everyone who posts on this forum.    EA certainly likes to 'claim' they listen to player feedback.  Good thing the game is free. Bad thing this will taint their company reputation further. (Edit, one response I missed, but still ignoring the major point)

Message 78 of 138 (1,788 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Novice

So many issues with the official stance. First, adding a search feature would be unfair to people with slow connections? Have you actually used the GTHQ? It is absolutely a race against time right now. If you were trying to avoid that, you failed. Second, how can this work with the laws of supply and demand, when we don't known what's in demand because you cap prices? I guess I'm stuck with 15 pizzas that no one wants but will nonetheless see for their next 5 refreshes... Third, the whole traveling to the city is nonsense. If they really want me to explore other people's cities, then how come there is no such feature without using Facebook? How come when I tap on the buildings I don't get any information about them? There is literally no incentive to go to other cities. Finally, the line about 'players first' is straight up bunk. People have been complaining about the refresh timer added recently for over a month, they even patched the game in that time, and still, no response about the timer nor any changes were made to it. EA is clearly living in Bizarroworld

Message 79 of 138 (1,757 Views)

★★★ Newbie

The Global Market is the most infuriating system ever. It makes me even more mad thinking how many hours I've wasted trying to find something i need then by the time the market loads the item is sold. It would be so much easier if there were a search tool so that only the item you wanted would show and you could buy it right from the market instead of having to travel to the other citys market to purchase it. Oh and then just in case it weren't frustrating enough you finally get to the market and it looks like the item is still available you go to click on it and while its processing the purchase the game crashes essentially giving you the middle finger after having gotten you so excited to finally get what you need having just wasted a hour of your life.

Message 80 of 138 (1,722 Views)