Early Access City Design Challenges - Feedback Thread

by EA_Leeloo

Original Post

Re: City Design Challenges - Feedback Thread

★★★★ Novice

Some of the entries in this round are embarrassing. People think by placing landscaping and parks and making it look "pretty" is good design. Nowhere near the brief asked for. So the voting again doesn't make sense as having to chose between someone who puts lake's and trees against another that places Halloween items... To take this forward EA this has to change.

Message 41 of 51 (1,187 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Novice
  1. @Therealpcsurgeon built and upgraded a lot of buildings. Had also upgraded the utilities to omega on that one 
Message 42 of 51 (1,186 Views)

★★★★ Guide

And again, Mars1001001 is the winner. 3 times in a row. I started wondering if our votes aren’t even reflected for the result. If it’s not a real competition and they only want to test their system, not worth try. We better just submit a design with minimum population and get voting rewards. 

Message 43 of 51 (1,103 Views)

★★★★ Novice

The voting has improved slightly, meaning we can now vote for more designs over 24hrs.  However I still don’t think voting against two designs is fair.  It would be better if you see one design at a time and give it a score between zero to a max of five stars. 
I have attached my new design for Tropical Haven.

Message 44 of 51 (1,088 Views)

★ Guide
@inhert5orh0u That is about the algorithm problem. I'm not professional but I know that different algorithms have different merits and demerits. Giving scores from my view is not practical as each of us has different standards, even someone may all score it zero. Then the voting result of each design could be out of control. The voting part is supposed to be made relatively practical and as easy as possible.
Message 45 of 51 (1,074 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

A few positives. Good to see a cash handout (made the free land expansion) and got 4 stars this time.  Not totally convinced the winner was that much better but voting is subjective so I can’t complain at 4.  [now with file uploaded for my Green Valley]

as for the voting, I am a software engineer of 25 years experience and the latter half working in quality assurance of software / data analysis.  When putting together a voting system, you can think about the ideal solution (people give 5 stars to the best, 3 to average ones etc).  However, you need to think about how it can be abused also (with or without cheating).  On a ‘rate each city’ format, if I want to win I give everyone else 0 stars an hope someone gives mine non-zero.  A ‘pick the best’ approach forces the voter to positively score a city.  Still doesn’t stop people voting for the worst one so the competition is reduced but all that means is a rubbish one wins.  How you then operate the ‘pick the best’ is up for grabs ... pick from 2, pick from 5, use elimination so only the better ones go through to the next round ...  you could use a forced distribution (show 6 and rate them 0 to 5 stars) but that means one from 6 rubbish entries gets 5!  At least with pick the best, rubbish v rubbish will randomly win some and lose some so won’t get more than 2.5 stars.

ideally you would hope the developers would use an approach proven elsewhere.  They tried this with the war leagues which appear to use the ELO system (chess world rankings amongst many others).  They have had to adjust the ELO implementation because of mistakes they made but that’s a whole other thread.  Hopefully for design challenges they have taken a proven ‘off the shelf’ solution and implemented correctly, as well as using defensive coding to make it hack proof.

Message 46 of 51 (1,042 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@MichealYun You are right. Example when people use Christmas/Halloween items when the season is over etc.
I guess I will wait and see what they decide regards to voting as I’m clueless when it comes to algorithms.
Message 47 of 51 (985 Views)

★★★★ Novice
@Dunsnoozin I have upload my screenshots via iPad with no problems. Also I agree they need to make this hack proof.
Message 48 of 51 (980 Views)

★★ Guide

This week CoM assignment of the new task to vote on a design at start of CoM when it does not come in line with the CoM as voting is not for under 4 days CoM be ended by time one gets to vote for 2500 points. Only get to vote on the last 3 hours of CoM I completed all my tasks by then. I suggest as it not in line with the com is to ditch this task and bring back canisters!? 

Message 49 of 51 (802 Views)

★★★★ Guide
Message 50 of 51 (784 Views)