Re: Disaster Building

by czeuch

Original Post

Disaster Building

★★★ Apprentice

I unlocked the Disaster Building yesterday (90,000 population and $40,000 coins).  It takes 12 hours to complete bulding after you start the build, so plan accordingly. 

Once it is complete, you see a little tornado icon at the building when you can start a disaster mission. Dr. Vu will say something like "I made contact with aliens", or my earthquake machine worked well on the ant farm, should I try it on the city?' or he mentions his new meteor machine. If you have the items needed (gloves, battery and transmittier) and choose to start a mission, there is an animation of whatever disaster he mentioned hitting your city. 

My first one was the aliens, who came down in their UFO and destroyed 1 building. Your population drops as no one can live in a destroyed building. You then get the little upgrade icon which shows you the items needed to rebuild, as well as the number of keys you will get for rebuilding. It is somewhat like the items needed to upgrade your regular buildings, but seems to be a bit heavier on the total items needed. Once you have all the items, you drag them to the destroyed building, just like upgrading. It only takes 1 "upgrade to rebuld the building completely.Repeat for any other buildings which were destroyed.

Once you have fixed all the buildings destroyed, you can immediately begin a new mission. 

Just FYI, my second mission was an earthquake that leveled 4 buildings and took me several hours to collect the needed items to rebuild. Thrid mission was the aliens again, only this time they took out 5 buildings. However, 3 of the 5 were easy to repair. Fourth mission was another earthquake, but the animation was meteors hitting the city. Only 1 building destroyed. Fifth was aliens again, but again only 1 building. Next up is the meteor machine, but I haven't started it yet as I am building up reserves before he knocks my buildings down againConfusedmileyhappy: The missions don't seem to be progressively harder, it is just random luck I guess. 

The damaged buildings do not affect your Happiness meter at all; the only downside is the loss of population, and therefore, coins per hour coming into city hall. If you can live with a few less coins per hour, you don't have to kill yourself trying to gather the items you need in the Global Marketplace, just build them yourself.

The rebuilds have so far given me from 1-3 gold keys per building, and seem to be dependent on how difficult the rebuilding items are to make. You get more keys for a building where you needed chairs and grass then for one which you can rebuild with wood and a hammer. 

Of course, the keys don't help you at all unless you have built the Education or Transportation buildings, which unlock the buildings which can be built using keys. 

Message 1 of 13 (8,094 Views)

★★ Novice

Thanks for the info Standard smile

Message 2 of 13 (8,090 Views)

★ Guide

I've used the disasters more than a dozen times now. I'm only missing Monuments (I have at least 2 buildings from each other Specialization) but I've used it today and I got really, REALLY screwed.

The aliens destroyed 3 buildings and one of them is asking for 48 nails and 48 wood. My warehouse has 110 capacity.

You see the issue? It's just ridiculous asking for such an amount os resouces, to earn 1 key.

Message 3 of 13 (8,088 Views)

★ Novice

Thanks a lot for the info.  Really wanted to know if the cost/pain of disasters is worth it.  Doesn't really sound like it to me.

Message 4 of 13 (7,774 Views)

★ Guide

bco... it is worth. You will take forever to get speacilization buildings using only the ship.

Doctor Vu's tower is a must.

Message 5 of 13 (7,769 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

I also got stuck with the 48/48 rebuild and had to have a fire sale in my trade depot to dump items. It took WAY TOO LONG for just one lousy key. 

Message 6 of 13 (7,341 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I have unlocked Dr. Vu's tower and completed one disaster but after that i can't get another one, I have no idea what to do and i am lvl 20 with no entertainment or transportation. Can someone help me plz

Message 7 of 13 (6,048 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Yes...thanx for the info....i dont think ill be doing any disaster missions either...im fine with just the ship...In just 3 days I earned enough keys to get the GRADE SCHOOL,the PUBLIC LIBRARY , the BUS TERMINAL,and the CAROUSEL, thats 19 keys and i have 5 keys left...thats 24 keys in total..Oh but 2 of the keys were given to me for visiting other cities. Even so, for a free game i think earning keys adds up a lot faster than many other free games allows you to collect needed currency or diamonds or whatever. Ive been playing Sims Freeplay for 3 years and each Special(Fire Water etc...)has only let me reach level 5-7 when the top levels are 25 to get the volcano  and thats because the items needed for upgrades takes months to collect... So anyway Im pretty happy with Buildit so far.  

Message 8 of 13 (5,949 Views)

★★★ Novice

I don't know. I really can't get enough keys for all the specialized buildings without Dr Vu. If it asks for 48 of one thing and 48 of another, that is what you use the button asking the architect to draw up new plans for. In 30 min you have a much more reasonable rebuild. I think it got tired of me always asking for new plans because, after a while, they were all really simple. I had by beach loaded with items in one week. Not sure where I will fit the marina. There is real merit to Dr. Vu. However, I really don't use more than the first one, the meteor. I get two keys for each disaster, after one upgrade, and the rebuilds are easy, though listed as medium. I have looked at the return on others. I don't want to have to rebuild 5 buildings and get 1 or 2 keys when I can rebuild 3 buildings and get two keys. I'm sticking with this upgrade.

Message 9 of 13 (5,616 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hello! I am new to this forum.  I've been playing or about 2 months now and I can't seem to collect the necessary items to unleash a Dr. Vu disaster quick enough.  I bought his tower maybe 2 weeks ago and I have only collected enough red buttons to unleash 2 disasters.  I am not on the game all day but I do log in a few times a day to click on thought bubbles to try and obtain the red buttons.  Any tips on how to get more red buttons? Also, when I started playing I did not realize the best way to build your town.  Because of this, I can't seem to fit education buildings and other important services within my homes to make people happy because there is no space.  I initially thought about just moving everything away from an area and then replacing them in better spots, but I already upgraded numerous roads to avenues (which cost a fortune)and do not want to have to pay for that again.  Any tips would be appreciated, thank you!

Message 10 of 13 (5,512 Views)