Re: Design Challenges Update - We Want Your Feedback

by PinnacleValley

Original Post

★ Expert

@SwissPiggie You have a good point…in my most recent vote today only 3 of the 10 cities had one or more sports theme buildings and only 1 of the remaining 7 actually put any effort into the design. That made 4 votes simple…sadly the other vote was for the “least worst” and it truly pains me to vote for a city that completely ignores the theme and has no concept of what a design is and to top it off had a 3.5 rating. 
I don’t participate for the votes…but it troubles me when you vote for a well designed city that obviously the mayor invested time, energy and effort to create only to find them sitting at a 2.5 compared to the 3.5 “least worst” city I was forced to vote for today. 

Message 111 of 124 (1,429 Views)

★ Apprentice

1. City Design challenge impacts my overall rank which I don’t want to unnecessarily raise without growing my other city components. 

2. I have to destroy a city layout to build the temporary city in the design challenge, next time make all items available in the design section. Don’t make us destroy what we’ve already built for temporary gain. 

3. The voting is flawed, this or that system is really restrictive. What if I don’t like them both? Also having design come up on COM is a waste of a task. Often low points that impact to many other components of my strategy. 

In short, I do not participate in the design challenge due to… Rank Impact, Lack of Functionality, and Limited Voting options. 

PS… Tentacle Vortex is still the Worst attack and I hate have 260 freaking cards for it I’ll never use. Please fix that attack kindly. 

- Nazareth 

Message 112 of 124 (1,391 Views)

★ Expert

@DRSB  I’m in full agreement with items 1 and 3, but item 2 leaves me a little confused. I have not had to destroy a city layout to accommodate the design challenge and don’t understand why you would need to. I understand you may wish to use an item(s) in your existing city to add to the design challenge…but this is a momentary situation and can be easily addressed by substituting a same category item(s) temporarily until your design is issued and the item(s) become immediately available to put back in your city. Am I missing something?

Message 113 of 124 (1,367 Views)

★★ Novice
@DRSB I agree with all 3.

I also have an additional complaint: They have the option to buy blueprints, but the timing to buy it is horrible. They’ve been having it during the second-to-last challenge of each season. I want to know what my total number of blueprints is before buying it. I won’t buy it if I think I can get everything I want but I’ll be disappointed if I end up not getting everything I want since I’ll only buy it that early if I know for a fact I’ll need it. It would be ideal if they would either offer it during the entire season or only after the last challenge of the season.
Message 114 of 124 (1,341 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Apprentice

It is true the items are only gone temporarily a few days or how ever long it takes to complete your design. However if I move a park or a landmark doing 50% boost in my main city's I lose a corresponding amount of money in tax dollars until the design is submitted so while it’s a momentary disadvantage it’s still a costly disadvantage. 

Also destroy might not be the best word. Dismantle, unnecessarily remove and re add. 

Message 115 of 124 (1,316 Views)

★ Expert

@DRSB  Thanks for sharing. I’ve never encountered any negative effect…probably because I ensure that if I move anything that there is still sufficient coverage for any residences impacted. I have found the items used in the design challenge become available after submitting your design.

@brendanflynn1 I understand your perspective, but the reality is you should have a pretty good idea if you’re going to be able to acquire everything you want at this point. Of course you don’t want to purchase if you don’t need to…but it would be counterproductive from a business perspective to change the availability until after the fact. You have to make a decision and move forward, just as you do in real life.

Message 116 of 124 (1,293 Views)

★ Expert

I have enjoyed the design challenges and really looked forward to seeing the creative efforts in the Spooky City challenge. When I ventured in this morning I immediately went to vote, somewhat excited to see what creativity awaited…much to my chagrin I found only 1, yes one of the 10 cities that had anything close to addressing the theme of this challenge, and that was a clown merry-go-round…one clown merry-go-round. Everything else was the same old same old, very disappointing.

I recognize the voting system is terribly flawed…but come on, at least pretend to address the theme. Maybe the contractor should change the criteria to have 5 theme related buildings or better yet, a 3rd voting option…neither. I know folks are enthralled with rivers & lakes, and castles, and trees and trees and trees (but not the dead ones - which are theme related) - but what criteria of “spooky” does this meet, NONE. I keep seeing the same design constantly regardless of the challenge and I must say I’m disappointed, but I’ll go back and vote again because maybe I’ve seen all the ones that don’t comprehend the importance of “theme” to a challenge - but some how, I doubt it.

Message 117 of 124 (833 Views)

★ Expert

Just a quick followup…I voted as much as I could yesterday and I found 8 of the 60 or 70 cities I saw showed any indication they knew what the theme was and only three actually set the stage for a spooky city…the winning city at least had a clown carousel centered in the front of the city on an island, but no other representation of the theme was visible. This was not the worse “winning” city I’ve seen, probably a 3.5 on a 5.0 scale…

Maybe the next challenge folks will vote fairly…I don’t expect to win, but when I vote for a very good design that represents the theme, is well laid out and shows a great deal of effort put in and has a 2.5 rating…it irritates me. Then I look at 2 pitiful designs and choose the less worse which is a close view of a section of their city (little effort at all) and see a 4.0…something is seriously wrong.

Message 118 of 124 (809 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Agree with 1: and also Designs should be able to be saved so that if you work on a challenge it is not just lost when time expires for creating.  It will auto submit and upload at that time.

For 2: Also agree:  My club wants a way to share what we have done as well within the club.

Message 119 of 124 (634 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Why did the winner of the last challenge get only 16k+ votes and I got 17k+ votes. Why didn’t I win? 

Message 120 of 124 (523 Views)