Re: Contest of Mayors is a joke

by lordcheeso

Original Post

★★★ Newbie

I guess i should explain further.

We get the prizes and progress. We have been close, but never 1st place yet.

Message 71 of 79 (2,344 Views)

★ Expert

Keep plugging away and you'll get there - enjoy the process and have fun with the game. Good luck

Message 72 of 79 (2,337 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I've been playing the Contest of Mayors ever since it started and have never seen tasks for 5000 points for 5 keys. In my experience it's 2000 for 5 keys, and I've never seen a 2 key task. In fact the highest scoring tasks are 3000. Also some of the lower score tasks will spawn much higher scoring tasks so it's worth getting experience around what spawns higher tasks.

Message 73 of 79 (2,309 Views)

★ Expert

You are absolutely correct and provided some excellent advice.I believe yoHoboDan was thinking they would receive the 2,000 simcash and the other associated items and was simply disappointed not realizing you had to finish in 1st place individually. If they listen to your guidance and continue to gain experience within the game, they'll be fine. It's a learning experience for us all and I appreciate your wisdom. Thanks.

Message 74 of 79 (2,296 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Ive noticed the same as everyone else. This time tho i was only given 15 assignments so even after using the max amount of golden tickets i am still unable to compete properly as i normally get double the amount of tasks to complete. I have had to just watch as other mayors are able to complete more tasks and push me further and further down the leader board. I will not be promoted!! I have contacted EA. They have agreed i have been disadvantaged but then just said thr game is working as it should be. Thats it!!!
Message 75 of 79 (2,226 Views)

★ Expert

Hi Andiken76 - I’m guessing you are participating in week one of the new season with only 15 assignments. If you are comparing your performance to those within your challenge the only advantage they may have had is they used 5 golden tickets. If you’re comparing to your club members they may not have started the season yet and would certainly have more assignments contingent to their level. Without getting into a theoretical discussion on the nature of random assignments, my suggestion would be to keep plugging away until you reach the Megalopolis level and earn all the season prizes. Do the best you can and manage your resources and you’ll be fine - best of luck to you.

Message 76 of 79 (2,203 Views)

★★ Novice

Thank you, EA, for breaking the spell this game had over me.  I was a fervent fan until this morning.

I saw the university items, and a particular University Observatory has significant personal value for me, so I aspired to get its look-alike in my city.  So great was my commitment to this endeavor that I bought $10 in SimCash when I was almost eliminated from getting to Metropolis league... sped along a few tasks to get the Aquarium.

Then Metropolis.  First of all... it jumps from Top 20 to Top 10?  I wasn't expecting that.  No matter... I was confident I could compete.  Spent a lot of time building and begging my Club for help.  Bought another $5 in SimCash to complete some high-point tasks... literally required to expedite arrivals for some of the 3 deliveries in X hours tasks.  Nice work with that math by the way.  In any case, I was generally prioritizing high value tasks and completing every single one.  Completed five tickets too.  Literally nothing else that could have been done.

Went to bed mathematically in third place (one task to turn in before contest ended) with literally nothing more I could have done.  Wake up in 14th place.  No observatory.  Got some pity Platinum Keys for all my work.

Top score in my league is 13,000 points higher than me.  Thirteen.  Thousand.  I understand that I traded down to 1,200 point assignments when there was a 1,500 point assignment once or twice... but not enough to make up 13,000 points.  If this is a "competition," this is like playing football on a field sloped towards one goal.

Now, we've been assured that the field will be made flat in the future, but this nonsense cost me the one item I was willing to compete for.  The one that had sentimental symbolism.  I feel tricked: I never had a chance at it.  Or, perhaps more appropriately, I had a chance at it, but that chance was only remotely correlated to my efforts.

This whole ordeal has embittered me against this game as few things could.  I'd take my $15 back -- even in the form of SimCash -- but I'd much rather have the Observatory.  I don't suspect I will get either though, and that this will be the beginning of the end for SimCity BuildIt for me.

Not that any of this matters.  I'm sure EA is happy they got my $15 and doesn't care what I think, nor does anyone else here.  I just needed to rant and to possibly warn the next poor soul who endeavors to spend their hard-earned money to compete that it's not worth it.

Message 77 of 79 (2,033 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

28 assignments that would include 3 golden tickets so don't use all 5 then might get a better position?  I had to use all 5 tickets and me finish first place last week

Message 78 of 79 (1,731 Views)

★★★ Apprentice

Not any longer but when the COM started there were many tasks slated for 5,000 points mind you.

Message 79 of 79 (1,270 Views)