Re: Contest of Mayors is a joke

by Yamaha5

Original Post

★★★★★ Apprentice

Those of us, who don't pay for any offerings in the game, usually watch ads -- advertisement brings a lot of money to the developers of such free games. So we pay with our time, they get real money Standard smile I actually installed a couple of the advertised games -- one of them is still here and I play it actively.

With COM (we talked about it in some other tread) a player who tried it for a little while can figure out what he can and can't do, and often it means aiming not for the win but for some kind of a reward. In my case, it is lower 40th place since the reward for it is the same as for 11th, but it costs me significantly less nerves and resources.

Have a good COM Standard smile

Message 31 of 79 (2,354 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

An update to my previous post:

Since they do not give any green sim bucks for watching ads anymore I think I'm pretty much out of the race entirely -- that was my only source of getting the greens. Now I cannot finish any shipment assignments in comprehensible time. They increased the time between airplanes as well: now I have to wait whole 18 hours each time I need to send a shipment -- that hardly works with the time frames for the COM, so it seems only you guys, who pay real money, are now left to fight.

Wink

Message 32 of 79 (2,344 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

So the *s admit that they screwed up? I demand a refund. I want my money back!!

Oh wait, I forgot we play for free

Good followup as usual. Good info. Guess we just wait and see

PS I did forget about the no ties thing

A lot of us spend money on this game. You keep acting like since it's a 'free' game no one gives EA money. We do and we expect value for that money.

We have a right to speak. If you aren't paying for the game, maybe you should listen more and talk less.

Message 33 of 79 (2,328 Views)

★ Guide

@RevTKS wrote:

So the *s admit that they screwed up? I demand a refund. I want my money back!!

Oh wait, I forgot we play for free

Good followup as usual. Good info. Guess we just wait and see

PS I did forget about the no ties thing

A lot of us spend money on this game. You keep acting like since it's a 'free' game no one gives EA money. We do and we expect value for that money.

We have a right to speak. If you aren't paying for the game, maybe you should listen more and talk less.

You must have me confused with someone else because everything you comment on about me could not be farther from the truth. You make some accusations that just are not accurate. From what Ive read of your posts, you do nothing but complain and yet you still play. I read these forums to learn and to enjoy the game better. So many people complain that it gets old. You obviously have a problem with people who have different opinions that you, you obviously believe that your opinions are the correct ones and thats fine. I actually feel sorry for people like you, who have a hard time existing in society because you have no friends. Maybe you will get it someday. Try seeing the cup as half full sometime

Bottom line I'm not here to fight anyone. You obviously have a problem with me and since I am the bigger person, I will give way and let you have your way. I dont have the time nor desire to keep responding to you nor do I want to stoop to your level

Good job buddy! Enjoy your life...

Message 34 of 79 (2,319 Views)

★★★★ Apprentice

Just regarding this post, it looks like it's diverged away from the original topic.

To that point, i do think the contest is far fetched.  I can't fathom people spending money on this game just to win the one contest. I put it down to hackers which seems the most logical theory

The contest really demands to much time and effort and the whole random factor in skill points is just to much of a negative.

Message 35 of 79 (2,300 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

You can only do what you can which is what I do

If some people is going to spend real $$

to win so be it

That person is also supporting the game

Message 36 of 79 (2,290 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice

I don't think the contest is a joke. I do support the game via small purchases. Around 5-10 bucks a month. I do have a competitive edge that I have had to temper but I do participate in the contests because you can earn the platinum keys by just leveling up. To be honest, lol, I like the gold keys and it's easy to usually stay in that range by doing the simpler tasks. I quit looking at the leaderboard. That's not what it's really all about for me. I have used a little money in the contest but I weighed which was more important saving the little bits of cash I collect and spend for unique items or trying to be top dog in a contest and I'd rather have the unique item. Although I do spend a little money, I view it as an appreciation for the work that goes into maintaining an ongoing changing game that supports a vast number of players from around the world. I do not advocate for pay to play/win and if I only give a little then they aren't sucking me dry, however, I do advocate for monthly subscriptions for players, with a limit on free players as to time or what they can obtain and to use that window as a trial period to decide if they want to join the subscription plan. The subscription plan should open the playing field, making all items and achievements open to everyone who subscribes. I play MMOPRG PC games which you can play without additional cost of the game..about $60 US dollars to buy and you can opt to pay a small fee each month, usually through Steam, which gives some options of playing new areas, PVP, and little perks but it is completely playable without it. To think that game maintenance for online services as well as developing new ways to freshen the game for long term players can be done for free is really an insult. Would you like to work all the time to provide others with something they enjoy and not be compensated enough to continue because you have no income? I know I wouldn't. I also don't think they should take advantage of players by charging high subscription fees and PC gamers will shut a game down if they do because they simply say "I don't think so" and they walk away in droves. Companies have a hard time regaining faith in players after that and future endeavors suffer. Collectively we have great power. Pitting against each only weakens the whole..we are that whole. We are the holders of power. Join hands is the key..but the game can not support itself enough for anything new if you want to buy the app. New extensions would need to be purchased. Maintaining online capabilities would be very limited, if any, depending on the magnitude of demand. I do opt for dropping Facebook but right now, that's a source of income. I do not Facebook and with good reason. Once you sign up, anything you post is essentially theirs to do with as they please..."I don't think so" is my response. Happy Gaming everyone!

Message 37 of 79 (2,072 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

I'm often one of the mayors who shoots up in the beginning.

I play by the mayor's contest.  I don't upgrade residential, Tokyo, London, Paris or Omega buildings until the contest tells me to.   I usually have all the items to make these upgrades in advance.

I don't collect my taxes or neosimoleons, launch disasters or repair zones until the contest tells me to.

While I'm doing all these, I'm making 40 glass.  I'll start that task 5-10 minutes before the glass finishes, allowing me to do all the easy turn ins above while I wait.

Yes, I spend a small amount of simcash on delivery tasks, so that the boat (or plane) returns immediately after.   But its not much.

During break, I'm usually preparing for the next week's mayor's contest, so that I can repeat the process again.

Don't cancel assignments, and don't take on any tasks under 1000 points.

There is some element of luck here in the initial assignments.   Some weeks I have all the items to upgrade residential buildings, and I don't get those tasks.   Its also worth noting, since you have 5 days to complete tasks, using simcash to get them done faster doesn't really win you the contest.   As long as you are staying busy, you'll likely finish all available tasks (and then some with tickets) before the contest ends.

My wife plays too; this makes it easy to mooch items back and forth as required, for both the mayor's contest and epic projects.

Message 38 of 79 (2,008 Views)

★★★★★ Apprentice
Very good advice! I do some of the very same things. When doing production, if it's like electronic parts etc, I wait and do those at night. I also start multiple tasks at once. For example I get planks chugging while producing for example chemicals. Because they are usually generous with time for factory things, some people aren't as far as long and may have not be able to produce as much at one time, but once you get the bigger factories, depending on time, I will not fill every factory up with what's required if over 50. I leave 2-3 factories to keep producing quicker items. Then I just refill the factory slots once the first round has finished. i agree with you on taxes and neo coins. I let them accumulate overnight along with my items for sale. I do some upgrades but because I am trying to replace older buildings with more stylish look, I usually doze one..I tried to get a bigger London building but I must not be far enough along so I won't be dozing again. You just get such a build up of the special buildings over time and it's way to many for me. I need land for other items too. I try to stock at least the some items that take a long production time and are hard to find. I don't overfill my commercials, usually, lol. So that I can quickly que things up. I don't stress over where I place. I do the best I can and at any rate your earning points to level up which gives platinum keys. Once you reach higher levels it's not as hard to place where you can earn platinum keys. Right now I am just pleased to get gold because there are still a lot of items I'd like to get. I save all my Vu items for the contest because there are usually more than one chance to use them and for points. If I get burned out on the contest or would like to focus more on finding items for storage or expansion, I may do a few things that are easy but focus on making money and buying up items I need. It's a great time to stock up. I have occasionally spent money for quick returns but I really don't like cargo, planes especially. The time gap is just so far apart and I don't like to burn up my money on quick returns. I will do some of the lower point assignments though. It just depends. I am not highly competitive about the whole thing so it's all about your goals. If I find I am really struggling to fall into a category where I can at least earn a small prize, I am glad to get be demoted so I can earn a little something. I look at like regardless, I am earning some points which will eventually pay off. I don't make my game play a chore. I choose the ones I want to do. After all, games are for fun and if it seems like a chore maybe a different perspective will help. Just because some of us may not place at the top doesn't make us any less of a player. It's a building game. It's your city. Do what you like. Some people just like designing beautiful cities and they don't strive very much for platinum keys at all and they simply sacrifice acquiring many of those items. Keep in mind some people do spend money, some more than others which certainly puts them at an advantage. Apps with in game purchases are labeled pay to win, not play to win. I have a small game allowance each month. I choose things when they are on sale. I made opening slots my priority and it enhanced game play. I very rarely spend for quick returns. That's the way I like and choose to play and I don't feel compelled to prove myself in a contest or by having every trinket in the box. If you play so that you enjoy it, you will play for a long time and eventually be able to acquire at least most of what you want. It's not about the end destination, it's about enjoying the journey. Standard smile
Message 39 of 79 (2,004 Views)

[ Edited ]
★ Guide
Take a close look at the time and points and explain that? Very disappointing. EA admits they stop one hack and two more are born. They can't be stopped.
Message 40 of 79 (1,938 Views)