Re: unable to load city at this time. Please try again later

by GerisX

Original Post

Hero (Retired)

@xXx_Pietro97_xXx Try this:

Make sure you are logged out of SimCity and Origin

Delete your SimCityUserData folder - default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData (don't worry, the game will recreate it when you log in)

Set Origin.exe and SimCity.exe to "Run As Administrator" - right-click the file, choose Compatibility tab, check the box "Run this program as an Administrator"

Start SimCity and try to load your city again

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Message 171 of 185 (1,260 Views)

★ Novice

Ching Chong Guys!

I'm unable to load my cities in one multiplayer region. Always get this message "unable to load the city at this time. please try again later".

Its only this one region, all other multiplayer regions on the same server are working. Other human players in this region have the same issue, not a single city is working.

I reinstalled the game, origin too, deleted the SimCityUserData folder and run it as administrator and no mercy.

• Your Origin ID: GerisX
  • Your City Name: all cities
  • The Region Name: Europäische Union
  • The Server Name: Europe east 4
  • How did you end your session last time you were playing the city: Sent a million simoleons to another city, tried to load that city and got the error message

please help

Message 172 of 185 (1,250 Views)

★ Novice

Having problems with multiplayer city. Help please

• Your Origin ID: Anitmatter
  • Your City Name: Arse n' Tiddy City
  • The Region Name: Dankland
  • The Server Name: Europe West 1
  • How did you end your session last time you were playing the city: Decided to look at a friend's city, and then return. Met with the message "Unable to load city at this time. Please try again."

I know the city is has a questionable name. Sorry.

Message 173 of 185 (889 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Anitmatter - This error message seems to be server-side, so not a lot that the users can do to help you. Did you try the steps in my earlier post

Perhaps one of the community managers can help investigate your city. @EA_Mai @EA_Nils @EA_Darko Anyone able to help with this?

Message 174 of 185 (853 Views)

★ Novice

@BlackjackWidow I have followed your advice, but it unfortunately didn't work.

Also, it seems that I've lost another city to this problem. The city called "The Pancake Dimension" which is on the city plot neighbouring the last one. Is there any fix for this problem? As you understand, this is quite annoying, and I don't want to have to start over again and again. I understand that this is an old game that doesn't get patched anymore, but surely someone must have a fix?

Anyway, thanks for your help, but I probably won't be playing anymore unless a fix is found.

Message 175 of 185 (662 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Anitmatter wrote:

@BlackjackWidow I have followed your advice, but it unfortunately didn't work.

Also, it seems that I've lost another city to this problem. The city called "The Pancake Dimension" which is on the city plot neighbouring the last one. Is there any fix for this problem? As you understand, this is quite annoying, and I don't want to have to start over again and again. I understand that this is an old game that doesn't get patched anymore, but surely someone must have a fix?

Anyway, thanks for your help, but I probably won't be playing anymore unless a fix is found.

@EA_Mai - Please, please, please, can you pop in and help with this frustrating error? I think the "unable to load city at this time" error is one that is a server-side issue, not sure if you can do anything, but many would be grateful if you could verify.

@Anitmatter I understand that this is hugely frustrating. If it's been over a year since you last played any of the cities, be aware they will go abandoned and you will get this error. I just found this out by trying to go in to one of my old cities online and got the same "unable to load city at this time; please try again later" error. If this happened after you've been actively playing the cities, it's likely due to a corruption on the server side which would mean the region is probably lost. I'm not sure there's anything left that can be done, but here are a few things that *might* help. 

As stated before, always set your icons to run SimCity.exe and Origin.exe "As Administrator". Make sure that both exe's are in your antivirus and firewall exception lists, and that Windows and graphics drivers are updated to the newest versions. Very important - if you have MSI's sound program called Nahimic 2 installed, either disable it or uninstall it. It is a known incompatible program. If you're running the game over a wireless connection, try running over a wired one to reduce the likelihood of corrupted files - the SimCity servers are notoriously slow and a lost connection, even for a few seconds, can corrupt the save process. 

• Try repairing the game - In Origin, right-click SimCity game icon and choose "Repair". 
  • Delete your SimCityUserData folder - exit SimCity and Origin; default location is \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData. Delete the whole SimCityUserData folder. When you launch the game again, it will recreate the folder. 
  • Try to recover the game: Run SimCityRecovery.exe "As Administrator" directly from the executable (not from any menu choices). Default location is \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityRecovery 
  • Clear Origin Cache
  • Completely Uninstall Origin, then reinstall running the setup file "As Administrator"

I really hope something here works for you. If you still can't load your cities, sadly, I think your region is probably lost. If you're the only one playing the region, you may be able to save all your hard work by transferring the region to single player mode to see if you can play it offline. 

Post back to let us know if anything works. Good luck!

Message 176 of 185 (653 Views)

★ Apprentice

Hi there,

Im really kinda frustrated. I've asked multiple advisors and took advice, but alas nothing works. I have  a region which for some reason won't allow me to visit/load any city. Can you help?

Message 177 of 185 (417 Views)

★ Apprentice
Message 178 of 185 (395 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@FlabbaWokei wrote:

Hi there,

Im really kinda frustrated. I've asked multiple advisors and took advice, but alas nothing works. I have  a region which for some reason won't allow me to visit/load any city. Can you help?

@FlabbaWokei - I know that this is very frustrating. The problem is probably server-side corruption, which means that something might have interrupted the connection when you last saved and exited the game. If this is the problem, there is no way to get the city or region back. I'm very sorry to tell you this, I wish I had better news for you. 

You can try to recover using these steps, just in case the problem is on your end:

Always set SimCity.exe and Origin.exe to run "As Administrator". Make sure that both exe's are in your antivirus and firewall exception lists, and that Windows and graphics drivers are updated to the newest versions. Very important - if you have MSI's sound program called Nahimic 2 installed, either disable it or uninstall it. It is a known incompatible program. If you're running the game over a wireless connection, try running over a wired one to reduce the likelihood of corrupted files - the SimCity servers are notoriously slow and a lost connection, even for a few seconds, can corrupt the save process. 

• Try repairing the game - In Origin, right-click SimCity game icon and choose "Repair". 
  • Delete your SimCityUserData folder - exit SimCity and Origin; default location is \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityUserData. Delete the whole SimCityUserData folder. When you launch the game again, it will recreate the folder. 
  • Try to recover the game: Run SimCityRecovery.exe "As Administrator" directly from the executable (not from any menu choices). Default location is \Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\SimCity\SimCityRecovery 
  • Clear Origin Cache
  • Completely Uninstall Origin, then reinstall running the setup file "As Administrator"

If it still gives the error message after doing these things, the city or region is lost to you and everyone else. You might be able to save your work by transferring the region to single user (offline) mode, but be aware that you can't move it back to the server. https://simscommunity.info/2014/12/04/simcity-update-transfer-citiesregions-multiplayer-single-playe...

I really hope you are able to recover your cities. Good luck, and Happy Building!

Message 179 of 185 (382 Views)

★ Apprentice

thank you for the reply. do you know the instructions for an iMac? i dont use windows lol

Message 180 of 185 (597 Views)