Re: sims city keeps crashing

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

sims city keeps crashing

★★★ Newbie

i just bought sims city and it keeps cashing, I bought the full bundle.

Message 1 of 7 (1,204 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @kkaayyaa - Are you playing on a PC or Mac? Which OS (Windows 10, MacOS Catalina?)

What exactly happens when it crashes - are you able to launch the game? Does it freeze or completely close to the desktop while you're playing? Please reply back with exactly what you're doing, and what happens, including any error messages that you may get. Hopefully we can solve this.

Message 2 of 7 (1,174 Views)

★★★ Newbie

HI 

I bought Sim City yesterday and I also have the same issue with the game crashing after two minutes running.

Error message:

SimCity quit unexpectedly.

Process: SimCity [43933]
Path: /Users/USER/*/SimCity.app/Contents/MacOS/SimCity
Identifier: Maxis.SimCity
Version: 1.0 Soccer ball
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: SimCity [43933]
User ID: 

Date/Time: 2021-02-07 19:00:35.356 -0500
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.6 (17G65)
Report Version: 12

Time Awake Since Boot: 1200000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 1200 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 3 Job Thread 1, p=0

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Application Specific Signatures:
Graphics kernel error: 0xfffffffb

Message 3 of 7 (1,117 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@Ferdek27 - Where did you purchase SimCity (EA / Origin or Aspyr / App Store)? 

It appears that you are running MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6? There was an issue with High Sierra 10.13 that prevented Mac users from running SimCity. Mojave 10.14 fixed the issue. I don't believe Apple ever updated High Sierra. Your only option is to upgrade your OS to at least Mojave - but don't upgrade to Catalina or Big Sur, as it lacks support for 32-bit programs such as SimCity. 

Some players reported graphics issues with Mojave, but those are easily solved. If you run into any issues, please refer to This Post for solutions.

If upgrading your OS is not an option and you recently purchased SimCity from Origin, you may want to check out the Great Game Guarantee 

Message 4 of 7 (1,112 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Hi

it looks like the update to Mojave is working. The game isn’t crashing but now the only issue is with the mouse. Only when I’m playing, the mouse isn’t accurate. Any help with this? 

Message 5 of 7 (1,098 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I found this old post and this worked so thank you in advance.

First: Launch SimCity in windowed mode. In Origin, right-click the SimCity icon and choose "Game Properties" > click the "Advanced Launch Options" tab > type "-w" (without the quotation marks) in the "Command Line Arguments" box. Launch SimCity and go to the Settings menu (upper right three dots) and choose the correct resolution for your screen in the graphics settings. Then launch your city and see if it works. If it does, you can change in the settings menu to play in full-screen windowed mode.

Please reply back and let us know if this works. Fingers crossed Happy Building!

Message 6 of 7 (1,096 Views)

[ Edited ]
Hero (Retired)

@skannerz22 - They patched and fixed issues in the game from 2013 through 2015, when the SimCity development team was disbanded and SimCity 2013 became a legacy game. There are definitely a few annoying bugs that still remain in the game, and you're right - they won't be fixing those, because there is no longer any active development of the game. Apple does not support 32-bit games in their newest OS versions, so Mac users have an additional hurdle to climb if they wish to continue playing the game.

That being said, the game works. I still enjoy playing it and helping other players who may have problems - either with technical issues such as installation problems, understanding how some of the game mechanics work, or explaining how to avoid or work around a true bug. 

Message 7 of 7 (1,048 Views)