simcity mac big sur

by ktroeckle

Original Post

Re: simcity mac big sur

Hero (Retired)

@grant2277 - Thanks for the feedback. It's really disappointing to hear that even the Aspyr version isn't working for Mac users now. As we've had reports from others that the Aspyr 64-bit version doesn't work in Big Sur, I think your best bet would be to file a support request with them. Since they did the work to convert to 64-bit for Catalina, there may be some tweaks needed for Big Sur. https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

In the meantime, I'll reach out to some Mac experts to see if they have any insights in this. Maybe there's a way to get your external bootable drive working on Big Sur. (In case you missed the link, here are step-by-step directions for Catalina: https://bluebellflora.com/running-32-bit-apps-after-macos-mojave/#requirements )

Message 11 of 19 (2,155 Views)

@ktroeckle @grant2277 @cosmin_cc27 @old987 

Can you all please post your specs from About This Mac? Including OS and exact model. 

Have you upgraded to Big Sur from a previous macOS? Was it an update or did you reformat and install Big Sur?

Any error messages or crash logs?

Has anyone had Console open during the launch process to see if anything interesting is showing up?

Currently downloading and installing on an Intel Mac running Big Sur and will then test on an M1 MacBook Air.

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 12 of 19 (2,094 Views)

★ Novice
Same issue for me on:

macOS Big Sur Version 11.1
Air (13-inch, Early 2015)

1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

Game (Sim City Complete Edition) crashes on startup - worked perfectly fine before the Big Sur upgrade.

v1.0.3 App Store

Bought through app store so will request a refund if not fixed soon.

Crash Log attached.

Message 13 of 19 (2,055 Views)

★ Novice

Have you tried contacting Aspyr? It's as if they don't exist anymore. I contacted them a month ago about the problem and haven't heard anything from them. Commented on Facebook posts which they have commented on themselves and haven't been acknowledged. I have a feeling they aren't really going to fix this any time soon, or even tell apple it doesn't work on Big Sur so Apple can update it on the store.  

Message 14 of 19 (2,043 Views)

I tweeted Aspyr a couple of days ago. They replied to open a support ticket on their site - https://support.aspyr.com/hc/en-us which I will do over the next few days.

After some digging around in the game files I discovered that it seems the game is expecting OSX but Big Sur is OS11. After I changed this to OS11 I then had the GPU below minimum spec. error message so, a little progress maybe?!

The Sims 3 Mac Forum - | - The Sims 4 Mac Forum -
- Clearing Origin cache - | - Mac specific TS4 issues -
AHQSigImage.png
Please do not PM me unless I ask you to, I won't reply
- I am not affiliated with EA in anyway -
Message 15 of 19 (2,034 Views)

★ Novice

Yeah - ticket 171787 filed with Aspyr, no response.

Message 16 of 19 (2,010 Views)

★★★ Newbie

I bought the game about a week before upgrading to Big Sur. I loved it, but now can't get it to move beyond the "Play" screen. Really disappointing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I also contacted Aspyr twice and have gotten no response. If you figure it out, please share!

Message 17 of 19 (1,905 Views)

★★★ Newbie
@ktroeckle I have that exact one but it doesn't run just says not supported by my system
Message 18 of 19 (954 Views)

Hero (Retired)

Hi @ssharon1 - Apple dropped support for 32-bit games like SimCity, beginning with MacOS Catalina 10.15. The EA versions are all 32-bit programs and will not run on Catalina or Big Sur.

If you have SimCity Complete from Aspyr (from the App Store), you will need to contact Aspyr for support on their 64-bit version  Aspyr - How to Submit a Bug Report 

Message 19 of 19 (923 Views)