Re: simcity-black screen FIXED (change to windows mode then adjust res)

by BlackjackWidow

Original Post

★★★ Apprentice

2017 and it happened to me after an update - if you have a wide-screen resolution for your monitor what will happen is that the video setting reset to a  low resolution after an update and you get black screen (but with sound), and maybe like me your monitor says something like signal not found...  basically a black screen and you cant play?

the FIX:  in origin go to game preferences for simcity and set the following command parameter under advanced: -w [in Origin > simcity comlplete edition game Settings >Advanced Launch Options]

"-w" is windowed mode... boot the game in windowed mode which will let you access the video settings,  i put mine back to 1920 x 1080 and the game works now... go back and remove the -w command line so the game goes full screen.

i checked all posts since like the year 5 b.c. and found nothing but wild suggestions like freaking out your internet connection which sounded way off imho... its a screen resolution mismatch hence the fix path.

again force windowed mode then change in options the settings to the correct resolution.  moderators please spread this fix as needed as there are multiple posts on black screen, and imho the supposed Fix was never a Fix...

corrections welcome...

Message 31 of 42 (6,705 Views)

Re: simcity-black screen

★★★ Newbie

Thanks to save my time. It was simple and worked.  My son was after me to fix it asap!

bw

Message 32 of 42 (6,484 Views)

★★★ Newbie
Thanks Fixed for me
Message 33 of 42 (6,209 Views)

★ Novice
Dear Sir,
I come from VietNam, I installed razor1911 version, but I got issue black screen and have mouse point same other one. I already switch off function Origin on game and even active window mode but actual not improved.
Please master help me to solve this case, I really like this game..
Thanks you so much!
Message 34 of 42 (5,988 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@kentamio Was it running OK before you installed the razor program?  Make sure your graphics drivers are up-to-date. 

Try turning off any mouse schemes, just use the default Windows mouse pointers (no pointer trails). Right-click SimCity desktop icon, choose Compatibility tab, Run As Administrator. If you still have black screen, try Compatibility tab, Run in Windows 7 or 8 mode and Settings - Reduced color mode.

Message 35 of 42 (5,980 Views)

★ Novice
Dear Sir,
This is the first time I install its, some method like your guidance I already tried but it not run anyway.
I use win10 64, it's problem lead to issue or not, Sir
Message 36 of 42 (5,975 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Apprentice

kentamio, fyi: "Razor 1911 (RZR) is a warez and demogroup founded in Norway, 1985. According to the US Justice Department, Razor 1911 is the oldest software cracking group that is still active on the internet."

you got my attention!  let me think this one out and return, this is a new install with no graphical display - what if you can find a way to boot your windows in like a safe mode just to edit the setting for simcity?  a black screen is saying graphical mismatch.  thinking....

Message 37 of 42 (5,970 Views)

★ Novice
Thanks you Sir,
Understand for me, I come from VN, too poor to buy a copyright game, so I get razor, but now I may give it up.
I want to buy this game but I worried it still happen with a copyright version.
Thanks all for your support...!!!
Ps: so sorry, my englist too poor Standard smile
Message 38 of 42 (5,966 Views)

Hero (Retired)

@thesolomongrundy - thank you for telling me what  RZR is; that makes a big difference (I saw "Razor", and thought "gaming mouse" lol)

@kentamio - the game is an older one, it is not compatible with super high resolution graphics. It is very important to have your graphic card drivers updated. If you have BitDefender or MSI sound program Nahimic installed, disable or uninstall them, they are known to be incompatible. Black screen is usually either too high of resolution -or- something blocking SimCity from reaching the servers. Make sure SimCity.exe and Origin.exe are added to firewall and router exception lists.

These types of things can be fixed in a licensed copy of the game, and EA offers a return window if you can't get it to work. I believe the complete edition was on sale last week for around $7. I really can't help much with a hacked version, and that fact alone could be why you have the issue.

Message 39 of 42 (5,946 Views)

Re: simcity-black screen

★★ Novice

It does have to do with the graphics settings. I bought a newer, better card and I got the black screen. Spent most of a day trying to fix it. Finally, I uninstalled the game. I scanned my computer for leftover traces of it in the registry. I mean I REALLY wanted it gone. I then found that the SimCity folder was still there in My Documents. I deleted that hoping it would delete my graphics profile. It did. When I reinstalled the game, it complained that my card was not good enough to run it. Still, the game worked. I set it to the max on everything, saved it, exited just to double-check, and started the game again. I works beautifully. 

So, in summary, dletewherever it is keeping a file telling it about your graphics card. 

I had to delete my SimCity folder in Documents.

Message 40 of 42 (5,694 Views)