"You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it."

by neo202020

Original Post

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it."

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

javelintorch: it's possible you don't have the Heroes and Villains Extra pack.

Can you build the Vu Tower and the MaxisManor?

If you don't have the *exact* matching version of someone, even if that person paid the same $80 you did to get the Deluxe edition with Heroes and Villains, if you have the standard Deluxe edition fopr the same price then I believe you cannot edit cities that have been even touched by the Deluxe Edition with heroes and villains.   This is definitely true with the Standard versus Limited edition (which only have those 2 buildings as differences and both cost $40)

The EA tech I talked to said that this was a bug with the way their claim code worked and that they would look into addressing it immediately. I'm hoping so!

In the meanwhile: lets not build any of the heroes and villains stuff--it makes our cities less portable for the future.

Message 31 of 74 (2,191 Views)

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it."

★★★★ Guide

@fireflyk64 wrote:

Actually, I'd think that when you go claim a city, if it just deleted the content you didnt have, that would be ideal. In fact, it should delete it and refund the price to plop back to the city.

I've bee thinking about this. You definitely should not get a refund because that's more challenging: but I think better would be to allow you to inherit the stuff you can't build.  And since you don't have the license you can't edit it or add subbuildings.  So that would make you need to turn around and find a deluxe person (or upgrade) to make the building more useful.  It would be  a way to turn Deluxe players into heroes instead of city destroyers as they are now.  

Right now my tiny region has 16 cities, but most of them have been edited by a  deluxe player. Some of htem with the city and villain pack.  5/7 of our group has the standard or limited editions (which are also incompatible) and 2 of the group has deluxe, one with heroes and villains. What this means is that if anyone touches a city it's permanently upgraded or downgraded or sidegraded and unavailable for the original owner. I've lost dozens of hours to building a city only to have one of my friends with deluxe ruin it permanently for me by just claiming it and adding a few roads and a water tower to supply him water--and now I can never play in that city again ~tears~ until they fix this bug.

Um... Why did you abandon it if you still wanted it?? You CAN have two cities at the same time, in one region, in normal play...

Message 32 of 74 (2,189 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

>Um... Why did you abandon it if you still wanted it?? You CAN have two cities at the same time, in one region, in normal play...

Because it is a private region and my friends are playing in the same room as me.  

Our policy *was* "before you logout, abandon city". The idea was it was a huge community run city with 16 regions: anyone could login wherever and make improvements. Like one gigantic fun area.

that policy changed VERY rapidly when we realized they started corruping our hard work by editing it with the deluxe edition.  I hate the deluxe edition (!) They managed to destroy many cities before we realized it because the deluxe people play more than the rest of us.

Message 33 of 74 (2,185 Views)

★★★★ Guide

@fireflyk64 wrote:

>Um... Why did you abandon it if you still wanted it?? You CAN have two cities at the same time, in one region, in normal play...

Because it is a private region and my friends are playing in the same room as me.  

Our policy *was* "before you logout, abandon city"

that policy changed VERY rapidly when we realized they started corruping our hard work by editing it with the deluxe edition.  I hate the deluxe edition (!) They managed to destroy many cities before we realized it because the deluxe people play more than the rest of us.

Interesting... I hadn't thought to play like that. Ok, now they need to fix it so I can try that, lol.

Message 34 of 74 (2,182 Views)

★★ Guide

It's so important they fix it soon before my group disbands because we are unable to play together in the way we want to!  We want to build this group collaboration where we can all go.

I have a quick fix idea: allow Deluxe players to login downgraded as "Standard Edition"  

That way we can play together and they can go deluxing off on their own in their own regions.

Message 35 of 74 (1,952 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Ok, got me the Basic SimCity 5 DVD + all 3 City-Packs. Got the same annoying message everytime I tried to claim a city........ They should give us the Dr. Vu & Hero thing + Diamond-whatever for free so we can finally play together!!! (if that is what causes this!)

EDIT: Since 1 hour im trying to claim a city somewhere with no luck.... And I seem to see only one and the same map in the Join Menue "TITAN GORGE".

Message 36 of 74 (1,883 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Novice

Anyone care to help? This issue, like others too for sure..., is fatal Frown I can't play with other players! I threw almost 70€ out of the window to get me told that I don't have that extra-better edition of this game!

Message 37 of 74 (1,872 Views)

★★★ Newbie

why  ea don't solve this problem?

I bought Digital Dealux upgrade pack. but i have same problem....

Message 38 of 74 (1,814 Views)

★★ Novice

Shoul I ask a refund for this game (€49.00 in Greece) from EA, since they were advertising that this is an online game?
I play 10 days in a row asking to claim an abandoned city, and every time I get the same @*&^#*& message!

WHERE IS THE ONLINE EA??? I wish you had the same support as Blizzard!!!

I NEED MY MONEY BACK OR FIX THE PROBLEM !!

Message 39 of 74 (1,717 Views)

★★ Guide

Even after the latest patch I cannot claim a city I rightfully created and owned my content to just because I abandoned it briefly to allow my friend, who has deluxe, to modify it briefly and add a few roads and change some taxes and depower some buildings.

He abandoned it and it's not letting me reclaim the building

I'm waiting on a fix still :-( it's been like this since launch and my city is waiting for me but I can't get back to it after spending almost a day on the city

Message 40 of 74 (1,693 Views)