"You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it."

by neo202020

Original Post

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it."

★★★★★ Novice

This is annoying as heck, I can't join in almost 95% of all servers due to this problem. PLEASE DO SOMETHING Y'ALL INSTEAD OF SITTING ON YER BUTTS ALL DAY! D:<

Message 21 of 74 (4,978 Views)

Re: "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it."

[ Edited ]
★★★★ Guide

@LNBCKRU wrote:

I have the same problem. I have Heroes and Villians, but I don't have Digital Deluxe. Those "Deluxe" city types are just a skin pack for your buildings anyway; that shouldn't matter for inheriting cities. Coupled with the continued inability of the Join Game menu to show us regions with open cities, this means that it's literally impossible to play games with people who aren't already our friends on Origin.

It makes me wonder: who are the "millions of fans loving multiplayer" who Lucy Bradshaw keeps bragging about?

The sims in the cities with content you can't claim...

Anyway. The issue boils down to EA's content service being too selective. Nobody should be restricted from claiming an abandonned city if said city has no DLC ploppables in it. In fact, the proper way to handle this is to force the DLC content to be deleted upon abandonment. This would allow anyone, with any mixture of DLC to claim said cities.

Here's how this breaks down:

There are, in fact, 26 versions of the game...

1. SimCity (SC)
  2. SimCity Limited Edition (SC:LE)
  3. SimCity Digital Deluxe
  4. SimCity + Digital Deluxe Upgrade
  5. SC:LE + British
  6. SC:LE + German
  7. SC:LE + French
  8. SC:LE + British & German
  9. SC:LE + British & French
  10. SC:LE + German & French
  11. SC:LE + British & German & French
  12. SC + British
  13. SC + German
  14. SC + French
  15. SC + British & German
  16. SC + British & French
  17. SC + German & French
  18. SC + British & German & French
  19. SC + HV
  20. SC + HV & British
  21. SC + HV & German
  22. SC + HV & French
  23. SC + HV & British & German
  24. SC + HV & British & French
  25. SC + HV & German & French
  26. SC + HV & British & German & French

That will only get worse as DLC comes out... My solution (forcing deletion of DLC content upon abandonment) is the ONLY one that can work.

Message 22 of 74 (4,973 Views)

★★★ Newbie

i have the same problem.

I own the collectors edition with the british pack. I also own the german and frence packs. alone with the hero and villians pack.

ea support cannot help me and the last time i contacted them and told them all my details all of a sudden my game said it wasnt responding. did they shut it down while I was asking support questions ?

so many problems I cannot take over abandoned citys. 2 of my citys have the "this town is processing problem". this game is very badly put together.

I thank the EA CEO for standing down today.

Message 23 of 74 (4,923 Views)

★★★★★ Novice

This is a common EA practice, probably in hopes that more will buy DLC to be able to fully play the game. It is pathetic. Same thing with Battlefield3. Splitting up the game in several different versions. Making it hard for both players and server owners. This to feels like a way to "force" people to buy premium versions, season passes etc.

But the way it is handled in SC2013 is extraordinarly bad, three release day DLCs are splitting up the playerbase so hard.

Message 24 of 74 (4,916 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★ Newbie

Yep, took me a good 15 minutes to find a game I could actually join last night.

I really have to wonder if they even tried this stuff out or just blindly released it? I can't imagine how it's good in any world just to list hundreds of unjoinable games and make the user having to keep adding more games to their list on the off chance they finally find one they can join.

Christ, playing Quake on Gamespy back in the 90's I had an easier time finding servers and joining games. This is just plain stupid.

Message 25 of 74 (4,885 Views)

★★★★★ Newbie

please fix this!!!

Message 26 of 74 (4,878 Views)

★ Guide

@CynicalDriver wrote:

@LNBCKRU wrote:

I have the same problem. I have Heroes and Villians, but I don't have Digital Deluxe. Those "Deluxe" city types are just a skin pack for your buildings anyway; that shouldn't matter for inheriting cities. Coupled with the continued inability of the Join Game menu to show us regions with open cities, this means that it's literally impossible to play games with people who aren't already our friends on Origin.

It makes me wonder: who are the "millions of fans loving multiplayer" who Lucy Bradshaw keeps bragging about?

The sims in the cities with content you can't claim...

Anyway. The issue boils down to EA's content service being too selective. Nobody should be restricted from claiming an abandonned city if said city has no DLC ploppables in it. In fact, the proper way to handle this is to force the DLC content to be deleted upon abandonment. This would allow anyone, with any mixture of DLC to claim said cities.

Here's how this breaks down:

There are, in fact, 26 versions of the game...

1. SimCity (SC)
  2. SimCity Limited Edition (SC:LE)
  3. SimCity Digital Deluxe
  4. SimCity + Digital Deluxe Upgrade
  5. SC:LE + British
  6. SC:LE + German
  7. SC:LE + French
  8. SC:LE + British & German
  9. SC:LE + British & French
  10. SC:LE + German & French
  11. SC:LE + British & German & French
  12. SC + British
  13. SC + German
  14. SC + French
  15. SC + British & German
  16. SC + British & French
  17. SC + German & French
  18. SC + British & German & French
  19. SC + HV
  20. SC + HV & British
  21. SC + HV & German
  22. SC + HV & French
  23. SC + HV & British & German
  24. SC + HV & British & French
  25. SC + HV & German & French
  26. SC + HV & British & German & French

That will only get worse as DLC comes out... My solution (forcing deletion of DLC content upon abandonment) is the ONLY one that can work.

Actually, I'd think that when you go claim a city, if it just deleted the content you didnt have, that would be ideal. In fact, it should delete it and refund the price to plop back to the city.

Message 27 of 74 (4,873 Views)

★★ Guide

I'm having the same problem. My group of 7 players has 3 versions with them. Our whole 16 plot has been corrupted to only have 4 free standard slots and 2 limited slots...rest are all deluxe.  Big shot deluxe players claim unclaimed stuff and it's ruined for everyone else.

I talked to some techs at EA on their support hotline and they said it's a bug and that they will look into fixing it.

I sure hope so: otherwise they should move those deluxe people to another server and let them downgrade to standard while they play with us "Standard" folk

Message 28 of 74 (4,845 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★ Guide

Actually, I'd think that when you go claim a city, if it just deleted the content you didnt have, that would be ideal. In fact, it should delete it and refund the price to plop back to the city.

I've bee thinking about this. You definitely should not get a refund because that's more challenging: but I think better would be to allow you to inherit the stuff you can't build.  And since you don't have the license you can't edit it or add subbuildings.  So that would make you need to turn around and find a deluxe person (or upgrade) to make the building more useful.  It would be  a way to turn Deluxe players into heroes instead of city destroyers as they are now.  

Right now my tiny region has 16 cities, but most of them have been edited by a  deluxe player. Some of htem with the city and villain pack.  5/7 of our group has the standard or limited editions (which are also incompatible) and 2 of the group has deluxe, one with heroes and villains. What this means is that if anyone touches a city it's permanently upgraded or downgraded or sidegraded and unavailable for the original owner. I've lost dozens of hours to building a city only to have one of my friends with deluxe ruin it permanently for me by just claiming it and adding a few roads and a water tower to supply him water--and now I can never play in that city again ~tears~ until they fix this bug.

Message 29 of 74 (4,838 Views)

★★ Novice

Same... I already purchase the DLC (SIMCITY™ DIGITAL DELUXE UPGRADE PACK)... but still has this problem "You cannot claim this city because you do not own some of the content used to create it"... is quite annoying now... EA and Maxis Developer please fix it......

Message 30 of 74 (4,826 Views)