failed to allocate a graphics resource [1008]

by offmoore

Original Post

Re: Trying to play simcity

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

The best (and only) diagnostic tool that the community has to work with on graphics is the DxDiag:

@Gorath_the_Elder wrote:

This first:  How to get a DxDiag and put it into a Hastebin page:
http://answers.ea.com/t5/Titanfall/PC-Graphic-performance-issues-in-Titanfall-here-s-how-to-help-us/...

There you go. 

Message 31 of 46 (2,437 Views)

Re: Failed to provide useful information.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@Sweeting1982 

Since you haven't done your own part as suggested, the comment you've added now has to be considered as having been solved without our assistance. 

Message 32 of 46 (2,429 Views)

★★★ Newbie

Here is my DxDiag file. I am having the same problem as the OP and getting the "Failed to allocate a graphics resource. SimCity will now exit. [1008]"

http://hastebin.com/ecemeqehid.tex

I believe I followed your directions and can tell from the previous posts that you will correct me if I haven't

Message 33 of 46 (2,105 Views)

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

The message thread you dug up has been buried for two years, which is much too long for much of anything in it to be at all pertinent.  The author of the Original Post had an eight year old budget model notebook PC with its ancient incompatible Intel video chip causing it to fail. 

All EA games require the game player to have and use the appropriate graphics drivers to suit their GPU devices (ordinary IGPs are not supported for this game, no matter whether from Intel or not).  You have chosen not to obtain the correct drivers, and your DxDiag is unable to determine what video the PC has, if any. 

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: Microsoft Basic Display Driver
       Manufacturer:
          Chip type:
Driver File Version:  ()
     Driver Version:
        DDI Version: 11.2

Simcity 2013 Requirements

Operating Systems:
SimCity will run on Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7.
CPU:
Intel C2D E4400, 2 GHz, or AMD X2 4000
Video Card:
Geforce 7800 GT or Radeon HD 2600 XT with 512 MB VRAM
***NOTE: each of the above-mentioned must also have Shader 3.0 or better support, and it is essential to the game’s performance and stability that the latest possible drivers for your video card are installed at all times.
2 GBs RAM
Direct3D Dx9
Needed space on HDD 10 GB
Optical Drive:
DVD-ROM drive required.

Internet Connection:
Players will need an Internet connection of at least 256 kbps download and 64kbps upload or faster.

http://www.nvidia.com/download/scan.aspx?lang=en-us 

or

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Message 34 of 46 (2,087 Views)

Re: Inadequate maintenance of system driver software.

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@SWATjediMaster

Both producers of game-capable graphics processor cores offered automatic scans of systems to identify matching hardware that they support with driver software.  Windows 10 is supposed to come with similar identification functions.  We have given you links to each of the appropriate websites and if you followed that up, we've heard nothing further from you. 

Under these circumstances, we must now presume that your problem has been solved, and we can shut down this message thread.  

Message 35 of 46 (2,064 Views)

Re: failed to allocate a graphics resource [1008]

★ Novice

I have that problem too. I can't understand as SimCity worked fine on my laptop even when I upgraded to Windows 10. Now it just doesn't.

I have to say that I had to reset twice my laptop due to unwanted programs which erased critical files when uninstalled. My DxDiag has been enclosed as your forum doesnt allow me to post more than 6000 characters.

Thanks in Advance

Message 36 of 46 (2,051 Views)

Re: Failed to allocate a graphics resource [1008]

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@AmyJenson1995

In the condition that laptop is in right now, it cannot play any worthwhile game at all.  Real graphics are required, as are real drivers, and neither are known to your Windows OS.  Further, as bog-slow as your CPU is, this game would've been badly crippled trying to run on it while proper drivers and video system recognition had actually applied to it. 

Message 37 of 46 (2,046 Views)

Re: Failed to allocate a graphics resource: solved

[ Edited ]
★★★★★ Expert

@AmyJenson1995 

The intermediate message's author was given both links for the two producers of games-capable GPU cores, where one or the other should be able to identify a matching device, if your system ever had one, and to provide you with a downloaded driver for you to install, after identifying that company's hardware.  As old of a message thread as this one is, and as lengthy as it has become, I'm sure it already contains a copy of the minimum game requirements for this game. 

We will now presume that your problem has been solved for you. 

Message 38 of 46 (2,017 Views)

failed to allocate a graphics resource [1008]

[ Edited ]
★★ Novice

After update, or whatever changed on either my end or with the game itself via update, this error message popped up. I was just playing this last week! And even though everything was on its lowest setting i was able to play with no problem...  Frown

"Failed to allocate a graphics resource [1008]"

Time of this report: 9/12/2017, 15:05:23
Machine name: -
Machine Id: -

Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 15063) (15063.rs2_release.170317-1834)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: HP Pavilion g4 Notebook PC
BIOS: InsydeH2O Version 03.61.01F.66
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU B940 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4044MB RAM
Page File: 3861MB used, 4278MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Not Available
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.15063.0000 64bit Unicode

Message 39 of 46 (1,353 Views)

Re: failed to allocate a graphics resource [1008]

★★ Novice

What if i've been able to play this game for a long time, even with my crappy laptop, up until last week some time... i don't know what happened but now its also showing the [1008] error message...

Message 40 of 46 (1,345 Views)