Re: Windows 10

by silverwood02

Original Post

Windows 10

★ Guide

Hi All,

I know this game is no longer supported/ updated, but will it run on windows 10?

I have just bought a new laptop with nvidia card, powerful processor, etec, etc, and wondered if its worth bothering to install Origin & Simcity.

I can carry on playing on the desktop, but the new laptop would be more powerful.

Keith

Message 1 of 6 (418 Views)

Hero (Retired)

I just recently upgraded to a new desktop and run SimCity on Windows 10 Creators update, works well. Best it's ever looked for me. I was running it on low - med settings on a Vista Home Premium laptop, and now I've got a GTX 1070 and can run on high - ultra.

A couple of caveats: Set Origin.exe and SimCity.exe shortcuts to "Run As Administrator". Make sure you have the newest drivers for your video card; there were tons of issues with a couple of Radeon drivers, but that's fixed with the latest ones now. The program does not play well with super high def. I'm running 1920 x 1080 fine. I have heard of issues with 4k settings and occasionally dual monitors, so if you have any issues, fiddle with graphic settings first. 

Message 2 of 6 (413 Views)

★ Guide
Ok. Got the laptop a few days ago, so I assume the drivers are all ok. Not sure what Windows 10 Creators update is though, I have the 64 bit version of windows 10. Also how do you set the shortcuts to run you suggest?
Message 3 of 6 (409 Views)

Hero (Retired)

The laptop may be new to you, but it depends on when it was assembled as to how updated everything is when you get it. Windows Creator update is just a large feature update to Windows 10. When you first started the laptop and went through the setup, it should have checked for updates and is installing them as needed. You can double-check Windows updates just to be sure - select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and select "Check for Windows update".

The graphics drivers are not necessarily installed with Windows Update. You should check the manufacturer website for the latest graphics drivers for your card. Here are the links for the Nvidia (GeForce), AMD and Intel:

Right-click the desktop shortcut, choose Properties, Compatibility tab, and check the box that says "Run this program as administrator". When you run them in Windows 10, unfortunately it will pop up a warning message every time you run the game. Don't be alarmed, it's OK, just click to allow it to run. 

Hope this helps

Message 4 of 6 (393 Views)

★ Guide

Ok Thanks.

After several hours this windows update was finally installed! I now have simcity on the laptop and the drivers are all updated thank you.

Message 5 of 6 (362 Views)

Hero (Retired)
You're welcome! So glad you were able to get everything updated & running.
Message 6 of 6 (351 Views)